Luis Robert

Panerista

It would make more sense to bring him up soon to learn at the mlb level so that he van go into the offseason with fixing tweaks in mind.

I get the year of control argument, but we have a chance to make some serious noise next year. If this was last year I wiuld be for holding him down, but meaningful baseball is soon, very soon.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

It’s a debate where both sides make valid arguments, but in this case I agree with you, I’d rather him work out the ML kinks now and hopefully have a better understanding of life in MLB to start 2020. We saw the initial struggles Eloy had and how he improved over the season, ideally I’d like Robert to get that learning curve out of the way in 2019. Obviously things don’t work out perfectly like that, but you get the idea. 

Very good points. I'd also like Robert to be up to get acclimated by Jose as well. Having an entire offseason to get mentorship for the game and city life here by Abreu, Moncada, Timmy, and Eloy gets that bonding in motion. 

• Haha 1

Fatigue might be a factor in calling him up. He’s played much more (thankfully) this season than in previous years. 

Id like to see him because it’s exciting, but I won’t be upset if his season ends when the minors season does.

Edited by Blackout Friday
Added thought

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

This cat needs to get up to the Show asap. It took Moncada 1.5 seasons before he became an all star caliber player. I expect the same kind of growing pains with Robert. 

Except Robert has been absolutely crushing each level while Moncada truly never did. I think Robert's going to K a lot but I don't seem him having many "struggles" aside from that.

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Except Robert has been absolutely crushing each level while Moncada truly never did. I think Robert's going to K a lot but I don't seem him having many "struggles" aside from that.

While this is true, the rules are the rules and the White Sox would be crazy longer term to pull Robert up early.

It's not about the money, it's about the control.  The fact is, Robert was very, very expensive and the Sox need to get as much value out of the signing as possible.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

While this is true, the rules are the rules and the White Sox would be crazy longer term to pull Robert up early.

It's not about the money, it's about the control.  The fact is, Robert was very, very expensive and the Sox need to get as much value out of the signing as possible.

I agree. Leave him down until 5/1/20. Blame it on wanting him to come up when it's not as cold. IDGAF. I want this guy for as long as possible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I agree. Leave him down until 5/1/20. Blame it on wanting him to come up when it's not as cold. IDGAF. I want this guy for as long as possible.

Since everyone knows the rules I'm guessing RH and Robert's agent could work out an agreeable extension to bring him up now and make everyone whole.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Instead of exploiting his service time to keep him longer why dont you hold ownership accountable and ask them to resign him?

Because guys who are already very rich are likely less willing to sign a team friendly deal. He isn't strapped for cash. He can wait for $300M if he chooses

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Instead of exploiting his service time to keep him longer why dont you hold ownership accountable and ask them to resign him?

The deal would have to be team friendly. Moncada and Robert were signed for big money and don’t need to settle for a team friendly contract. 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does it have to be team friendly. If he's a superstar they should sign him for superstar dollars. They're not poor.

Because they acquired him with a $50 million price tag and he hasn't played a major league game.  

Plus, anything they give Robert is going to come back to bite them when Moncada and all the other young phenoms want to get paid.  If you overpay Robert, you're doomed to overpay everyone else and the window shrinks.

10 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Because they acquired him with a $50 million price tag and he hasn't played a major league game.  

Plus, anything they give Robert is going to come back to bite them when Moncada and all the other young phenoms want to get paid.  If you overpay Robert, you're doomed to overpay everyone else and the window shrinks.

Arguably, you’ve already done this with Jimenez if you count $$$/projected fWAR.

Unless he becomes a JD Martinez level hitter, it’s going to be a fair market value deal at best.

Moncada is at 3.5 while Jimenez is just 0.7.   Now obviously he won’t ask for 5X as much, but it’s not hard to imagine that peak Moncada would put up double the fWAR of Jimenez without either marked defensive improvements or a position change from Eloy.

Cumulative/counting stat argument?  Well, Tatis Jr. is at 3.4 fWAR despite missing five weeks of the season with the hammy.  But Guerrero Jr. is at -0.2, and he’s going to be the best comp for Eloy going forward due to size and defensive limitations. 

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Arguably, you’ve already done this with Jimenez if you count $$$/projected fWAR.

Unless he becomes a JD Martinez level hitter, it’s going to be a fair market value deal at best.

Moncada is at 3.5 while Jimenez is just 0.7.   Now obviously he won’t ask for 5X as much, but it’s not hard to imagine that peak Moncada would put up double the fWAR of Jimenez without either marked defensive improvements or a position change from Eloy.

Cumulative/counting stat argument?  Well, Tatis Jr. is at 3.4 fWAR despite missing five weeks of the season with the hammy.  But Guerrero Jr. is at -0.2, and he’s going to be the best comp for Eloy going forward due to size and defensive limitations. 

You're all over the place, but signing the Cuban guys is going to be harder because they got huge signing bonuses with their teams.  The comps are interesting and everything, but the Cuban guys are just a different discussion when they hit

1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

You're all over the place, but signing the Cuban guys is going to be harder because they got huge signing bonuses with their teams.  The comps are interesting and everything, but the Cuban guys are just a different discussion when they hit

In the end, prime Cespedes was still the only one to put up MVP type numbers among the Cubans.

Otherwise, you have Abreu’s rookie season and Puig’s first two years.  But there’s no great comp for Robert out there if you limit it to just Cubans.  

Floor, it’s hopefully Mike Cameron/Devon White.  Ceiling, just below Trout.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In the end, prime Cespedes was still the only one to put up MVP type numbers among the Cubans.

Otherwise, you have Abreu’s rookie season and Puig’s first two years.  But there’s no great comp for Robert out there if you limit it to just Cubans.  

What? Yoenis Cespedes has never even finished top-8 in MVP voting. Puig has never finished better than top-15.

Abreu has finished 4th. None of this really matters but the argument you're making is just not even close to being true.

• Like 3
  • Love 1