Luis Robert

Panerista

It is going to take more to get Robert to sign and get him up here.  You figure 3 years of almost no salary and 3 years of arbitration would probably cost the Sox about 50-55 million over 6 years if we compare him to Mookie Betts.  Elite players now get 25-30 million but that’s after years up here but even Eric Hosmer got 18 million per. So, do the Sox try 7 years for 100-110 now or gamble having him up for a year, being mvp caliber and basically looking at 20+ after that? I say gamble at the 7 year number, especially when you are so desperate for cost control

36 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

It is going to take more to get Robert to sign and get him up here.  You figure 3 years of almost no salary and 3 years of arbitration would probably cost the Sox about 50-55 million over 6 years if we compare him to Mookie Betts.  Elite players now get 25-30 million but that’s after years up here but even Eric Hosmer got 18 million per. So, do the Sox try 7 years for 100-110 now or gamble having him up for a year, being mvp caliber and basically looking at 20+ after that? I say gamble at the 7 year number, especially when you are so desperate for cost control

You do not give this guy the largest contract in team history and more $ than Acuna got before he even plays a game in the Show. That would not be a wise move in my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

There is a number that should get it done.  The player and team both want Robert to be in Chicago.  I suspect we will be seeing Robert & Madrigal in a few weeks.  There is a number that would get it done...just need to fine it.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

After last night's 2 HR game his wRC+ on the season is 200. He's been the most productive player in the minors this season and might also have the best tools in the minors. Can't wait until May 2020 to see him in the majors!

As stated before...reasonable people should get this accommodation deal done.  Both sides desire Robert be in Chicago ASAP.

16 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

You do not give this guy the largest contract in team history and more $ than Acuna got before he even plays a game in the Show. That would not be a wise move in my opinion. 

Acuna didn’t get the big signing bonus much like Eloy. In fact he got 100k then played minor league ball for 3 years for basically nothing. I think that comes into play when looking to make a deal.  Luis has about 26 million reasons to say I’ll wait. I’m good.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

man I keep thinking about how this will be the fastest Sox team in my lifetime when Robert joins them and eventually Madrigal.

Just for one day next year, they could field a lineup with Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Madrigal, Tilson, and Engel. Other 3 guys don't even matter. Just to say it was the fastest single starting lineup an MLB team ever put out. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Acuna didn’t get the big signing bonus much like Eloy. In fact he got 100k then played minor league ball for 3 years for basically nothing. I think that comes into play when looking to make a deal.  Luis has about 26 million reasons to say I’ll wait. I’m good.

That's not my point. My point is that Acuna earned his $100 million contract extension by putting up a 142OPS+ and winning rookie of the year as a 20 year old. 

What has Luis Robert accomplished yet in mlb that makes him worth 100 million plus? 

Call Robert up.

If he is who we think he is, and he refuses to sign any extensions, the Sox will have no choice but to pay him a fair market value contract as his FA gets closer and we won't have to worry about him leaving. I know, I know, this is the Sox we are talking about and cheap Uncle Jerry, but I highly doubt they'd let one of their own walk if he was one of the best players on the planet. No team is that stupid.

You simply cannot play the service time game here. It gives the player an incredibly bad look, especially if he is OPSing well over 1 into next year. You're burning good faith with the player by keeping him down. Look at how disgruntled Bryant was. He had every right to be disgruntled, and now it's highly likely he's going to go to FA instead of signing one of those now popular fair market extensions some players got last offseason. 

Plus, at this point, Robert has to start learning how to beat the best. It really doesn't seem like he has much left to learn against AAA and AAAA pitching. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Call Robert up.

If he is who we think he is, and he refuses to sign any extensions, the Sox will have no choice but to pay him a fair market value contract as his FA gets closer and we won't have to worry about him leaving. I know, I know, this is the Sox we are talking about and cheap Uncle Jerry, but I highly doubt they'd let one of their own walk if he was one of the best players on the planet. No team is that stupid.

You simply cannot play the service time game here. It gives the player an incredibly bad look, especially if he is OPSing well over 1 into next year. You're burning good faith with the player by keeping him down. Look at how disgruntled Bryant was. He had every right to be disgruntled, and now it's highly likely he's going to go to FA instead of signing one of those now popular fair market extensions some players got last offseason. 

Plus, at this point, Robert has to start learning how to beat the best. It really doesn't seem like he has much left to learn against AAA and AAAA pitching. 

So I mentioned this earlier, but Robert may not be as disgruntled due to the Sox holding him in DSL for a year to increase his total take home pay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I mentioned this earlier, but Robert may not be as disgruntled due to the Sox holding him in DSL for a year to increase his total take home pay.

This is fine, and it's not like there's a 100% chance he'd be disgruntled being held in AAA for too long. Not everyone will think like Kris Bryant does in these scenarios. Is KB's agent Boras? If so, he has the baseball whisperer in his ear, which could be contributing to his mindset.

Nevertheless, I still think they need to call up Robert soon. They called up Moncada during his AAA struggles... if a player is going to absolutely dominate AAA he should be called up as well. As for service time, we can cross that bridge when we get there. Many players, for whatever reason, love playing here. I have few doubts the Sox would be able to keep Robert around long-term should they want to. 

16 minutes ago, South Sider said:

iCall Robert up.

The Bryant situation is exactly why you need an extension and it's not unreasonable to ask for one.  Robert has banked 26+ million and so far has not accepted an extension worth 100+.  Let's not make him the primadonna player we have to keep happy or he won't play nice.  He hasn't played a major league game.  When players accept early extensions it is for life time security in case they injure themselves the next day.  Clubs do it to have cost certainty if and when player proves his worth.  It's negotiations...nothing personal.  The fact that one player has more or less money already in the bank doesn't change what the club side of the negotiation wants.  The player with lots of money in the bank might be less motivated but that doesn't get him to Chicago.  Compromise gets both sides what they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

That's not my point. My point is that Acuna earned his $100 million contract extension by putting up a 142OPS+ and winning rookie of the year as a 20 year old. 

What has Luis Robert accomplished yet in mlb that makes him worth 100 million plus? 

I totally hear ya but my issue is do you gamble with 100 million now or do you wait, let him win ROY then end up paying him 200 million? It’s a numbers game and the Sox normally don’t do well in future bidding wars.

51 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I totally hear ya but my issue is do you gamble with 100 million now or do you wait, let him win ROY then end up paying him 200 million? It’s a numbers game and the Sox normally don’t do well in future bidding wars.

Or...ya know, the Sox could just enjoy the 7 years of control they have of the kid.  He's fairly injury prone.  Do you really risk it and offer him something like 10/$150M?  Not sure he'd take anything less, and even there you're only getting 3 extra seasons of control and you've taken on WAY more risk.  I don't really think Robert is an extension candidate at all at this juncture.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or...ya know, the Sox could just enjoy the 7 years of control they have of the kid.  He's fairly injury prone.  Do you really risk it and offer him something like 10/$150M?  Not sure he'd take anything less, and even there you're only getting 3 extra seasons of control and you've taken on WAY more risk.  I don't really think Robert is an extension candidate at all at this juncture.  

Totally agree except I say burn the year of control, treat him like a human being, and talk again in a few years maybe.  I want my pancakes now damnit

Edited by Jerksticks

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Finally a voice of reason.  Who even knows what the other side of the CBA will look like.  With Eloy it made sense for various reasons for both sides.  That's not at all the case here with Robert.