Luis Robert

Panerista

14 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Just for one day next year, they could field a lineup with Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Madrigal, Tilson, and Engel. Other 3 guys don't even matter. Just to say it was the fastest single starting lineup an MLB team ever put out. 

Idk man I don’t think your topping mondesi merrifield hamilton gore. 

Also Cordell is a lot faster than tilson. 

18 minutes ago, mqr said:

I definitely thinks that those 6 top the Royals' group, and re: Cordell, I knew I was forgetting someone. Throw him in, let him DH! 

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

My favorite part is none of them are the fastest player in the system.

I know James Beard has received an "85" speed grade but I think that Robert's 65 speed grade is completely wrong. Robert will very likely be the fastest player in all of MLB once he's promoted, so I'm not entirely sure that Beard is truly faster. I'd be curious to see their sprint speeds compared, or just to watch them race.

What you said is correct, I just personally think that Robert is much, much faster than the scouting grades suggest. But yeah, throw Beard in the mix too. Do this lineup in 2023 and just get rid of the Tilson and Engel types 

• Thanks 1

I am confused about the comment from jack about who’s here in 2020 and who’s here in 2026. I don’t understand what Roberts has to do with that. Most will be over 30 of the names mentioned so I’m assuming the window is shortened? We have younger prospects who hopefully will be ready by then. Don’t understand what 2 months will do to help that. There is nothing we can do to make next year any better with pitchers coming back on innings limits plus other prospects needing to adjust also. Help me understand how it does

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I definitely thinks that those 6 top the Royals' group, and re: Cordell, I knew I was forgetting someone. Throw him in, let him DH! 

I know James Beard has received an "85" speed grade but I think that Robert's 65 speed grade is completely wrong. Robert will very likely be the fastest player in all of MLB once he's promoted, so I'm not entirely sure that Beard is truly faster. I'd be curious to see their sprint speeds compared, or just to watch them race.

What you said is correct, I just personally think that Robert is much, much faster than the scouting grades suggest. But yeah, throw Beard in the mix too. Do this lineup in 2023 and just get rid of the Tilson and Engel types 

There’s game speed and track sprinting speed...or time to first, vs. first to home or that extra gear between second and third on a triple.

Robert’s got the kind of effortless stride it hardly looks like he’s flying by at the rate of speed he’s at.

I don’t think either (including Beard) are faster than Buxton, Hamilton, Dyson in his prime or Gore, but they’re right up there.  

Fwiw, read an article recently that claimed Trevor Story by statcast was one of the three fastest players in baseball.

4 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Is Luis Robert the best position player in the minors right now?

It’s almost always a SS...or starting pitcher like Mize.

This time, Wander Franco of the Rays.  That said, at this exact moment in time, at least half the baseball community would surely pick Robert with how he’s rocketed up the charts after AFL and into this year.

8 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

I am confused about the comment from jack about who’s here in 2020 and who’s here in 2026. I don’t understand what Roberts has to do with that. Most will be over 30 of the names mentioned so I’m assuming the window is shortened? We have younger prospects who hopefully will be ready by then. Don’t understand what 2 months will do to help that. There is nothing we can do to make next year any better with pitchers coming back on innings limits plus other prospects needing to adjust also. Help me understand how it does

It has to do with the service time argument. O

If they don't bring him up this year they are punting 2020 and I hate it.  If they leave Robert down, then they better start Kopech in Charlotte and have him down until 6/1/20 to get their year back with him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I understand the service time argument, I just think it stinks.  Hopefully, in the next CBA there are incentives to make sure the best players in the world are all in the majors.  Roberts could strike out in half his at bats and he would still be better than Engel.  Current system is a sham.

11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I understand the service time argument, I just think it stinks.  Hopefully, in the next CBA there are incentives to make sure the best players in the world are all in the majors.  Roberts could strike out in half his at bats and he would still be better than Engel.  Current system is a sham.

Not sure how they can change it. There has to be so e service to e credit for things like retirement and free agency. I really dont want a situation like the NBA where rosters turn over so often that fans never know what their team will look like and very few teams really ever have a shot at the title.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

It has to do with the service time argument. O

If they don't bring him up this year they are punting 2020 and I hate it.  If they leave Robert down, then they better start Kopech in Charlotte and have him down until 6/1/20 to get their year back with him. 

The argument that the Sox are punting 2020 because Robert spent two weeks in AAA next season is such a terrible take.

If the Sox punt 2020, it’s because they didn’t spend money on legitimate SP and acquire at least one above average position player. Not because their top prospect wasn’t called up the previous season and played like 10 games in the minor leagues to start 2020. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The argument that the Sox are punting 2020 because Robert spent two weeks in AAA next season is such a terrible take.

If the Sox punt 2020, it’s because they didn’t spend money on legitimate SP and acquire at least one above average position player. Not because their top prospect wasn’t called up the previous season and played like 10 games in the minor leagues to start 2020. 

By my count, the Padres have now brought up SEVEN (Morejon for the first time and Urias again) milb Top 100 prospects this season, irrespective of service time/extensions or whether they could realistically compete for a wild card.

They’re also pursuing Syndergaard, Bauer and Stroman...

10 hours ago, mqr said:

And Merrifield may not be with the Royals and Gore might be playing for the Portland Sea Dogs or some shit.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s game speed and track sprinting speed...or time to first, vs. first to home or that extra gear between second and third on a triple.

Robert’s got the kind of effortless stride it hardly looks like he’s flying by at the rate of speed he’s at.

I don’t think either (including Beard) are faster than Buxton, Hamilton, Dyson in his prime or Gore, but they’re right up there.  

Fwiw, read an article recently that claimed Trevor Story by statcast was one of the three fastest players in baseball.

Robert's ft/second clocked in at 31.2 in the futures game to first base.

Buxton averages 30.3 ft/second this year.

They're close I imagine.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s almost always a SS...or starting pitcher like Mize.

This time, Wander Franco of the Rays.  That said, at this exact moment in time, at least half the baseball community would surely pick Robert with how he’s rocketed up the charts after AFL and into this year.

How has franco been better than Robert? 

Robert, at this moment, is the minor league POY. Franco might be a better prospect (I'd argue that but the majority disagree with me) but no way he's been a better player this year. And the minor league POY is very often not a SS or pitcher.

Also, trevor story is 22nd in sprint speed so whatever article you read made that up.

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Eh, there’s just so many more layers to it than this.  Everyone gets this.  

How do you balance:

Club financial flexibility

Necessary MLB seasoning

Team chemistry

PR and fan interest

Employee morale 

Rewarding somebody when they earn something...or fallout from NOT rewarding the player   

How potential FA perceive your club based on the above.  

There are probably 100 more factors that go into it

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It is more about him spending the whole year in minors this year delaying his development in the majors.

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's going to need at least a half season to adjust to MLB pitching. We've seen it with all of our position prospects. It took Moncada a year and a half, and Eloy a half season, so I'm expecting somewhere in between those two. 

If I expected Robert to come up and rake it would be one thing. I don't want him to be a black hole offensively for at least half of 2020. That's the argument for calling him up on 8/1. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to need at least a half season to adjust to MLB pitching. We've seen it with all of our position prospects. It took Moncada a year and a half, and Eloy a half season, so i'm expecting somewhere in between those two. 

Every single player is different. They should expect some adjustment period but you never know.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How has franco been better than Robert? 

Robert, at this moment, is the minor league POY. Franco might be a better prospect (I'd argue that but the majority disagree with me) but no way he's been a better player this year. And the minor league POY is very often not a SS or pitcher.

Also, trevor story is 22nd in sprint speed so whatever article you read made that up.

It’s always about potential.

And age.  And SS getting a slight preference over CF.

That said, potential and performance have collided in a big way for Robert this year.

It is difficult to claim anti-Sox bias, because guys like Buxton (Twins), Guerrero (Jays), Tatis (Padres)...and Moncada with the White Sox, have all been #1 recently.  If they go with Mize, nobody cares about the Tigers, either.

I would go with Robert, personally, but I haven’t seen Franco play enough.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

It’s always about potential.

And age.  And SS getting a slight preference over CF.

That said, potential and performance have collided in a big way for Robert this year.

It is difficult to claim anti-Sox bias, because guys like Buxton (Twins), Guerrero (Jays), Tatis (Padres)...and Moncada with the White Sox, have all been #1 recently.  If they go with Mize, nobody cares about the Tigers, either.

I would go with Robert, personally, but I haven’t seen Franco play enough.

What is about potential? 

The guy asked about the best position player in the minors today - not prospect for the big leagues

Robert has an 1062 ops with 32 steals and top level defense at a premium position. Wander better plate discipline but at lower levels as well.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to need at least a half season to adjust to MLB pitching. We've seen it with all of our position prospects. It took Moncada a year and a half, and Eloy a half season, so I'm expecting somewhere in between those two. 

If I expected Robert to come up and rake it would be one thing. I don't want him to be a black hole offensively for at least half of 2020. That's the argument for calling him up on 8/1. 

Why?

Tatis, Jr., is just 20 and had only 1/2 season of AA and then winter ball.

Robert had significantly more international experience before he signed...and played in the Cuban League.

He’s also now striking out 30.6% of the time, after being close to 25-27% for most of the year.

All that considered...Robert definitely has a weakness with breaking stuff down and off the plate, especially behind in the count.  Learning how to foul off those pitches or drive them up the middle or into RF will be the differentiator...between a very good hitter to great/superstar level.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is about potential? 

The guy asked about the best position player in the minors today - not prospect for the big leagues

Robert has an 1062 ops with 32 steals and top level defense at a premium position. Wander better plate discipline but at lower levels as well.

That’s what professional talents scouts/evaluators go on...because if you phrase it that way, you’re never going to consider a hitter or pitcher below AA.

Of course, we all remember Kevin Maitan getting similar accolades to Franco and he might be out of baseball in five years.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=670867#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Granted, Franco now has much more of a pedigree and certainly a less controversial background...

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s what professional talents scouts/evaluators go on...because if you phrase it that way, you’re never going to consider a hitter or pitcher below AA.

Of course, we all remember Kevin Maitan getting similar accolades to Franco and he might be out of baseball in five years.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=670867#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Granted, Franco now has much more of a pedigree and certainly a less controversial background...

What?

Franco was the #1 international prospect and also has a 930 ops at 18 with more walks than k's. How is he anything like Maitan?

The guy asked who the best position player was in the minors right now. Luis Robert is probably the MiLPOY right now. We'll see how it finishes. No idea where you come up with these other thoughts.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run