7/13 GT - Sox @ OAK - 3:07 PM CST

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They better have Colome on the market 

1. The deadline is three weeks away. How does the market compare to recent years?

Passan: Extraordinarily pitching-heavy. Which is not entirely coincidental, seeing as the bat-rental market has cratered -- remember what the Tigers got for J.D. Martinezin 2017? -- and teams are increasingly loath to give up young, under-control everyday players. It seems counterintuitive too, with good pitching such a limited commodity in 2019. Sometimes that's just how the market shakes out, and with Madison Bumgarner and Marcus Stroman almost assuredly on the move, Trevor Bauer, Mike Minor and Robbie Ray able to be had, and Matt Boyd and Zack Greinke tailor-made for playoff rotations, it's a nice group -- and one with enough diversity in salary, years of control, handedness and stuff to satisfy every buyer. There are plenty of relievers too, and especially because of how they can affect postseason series, the prices on them could be even higher than some of the rental starters. The best rental bat, if you really want to know? Probably Nicholas Castellanos. The best available bat? Might be Hunter Renfroe. Like I said: pitching-heavy.

Let's not freak out about this. First, I'm 32 and the west coast has been a house of horrors for us since I was a child. Second, none of the really embarrassing players so far today are significant for the long term health of this team. Who cares about winning? We're not getting that second wild card, fellas, but we are going to end the season close to .500. Root for Moncada, Jimenez, Collins, and to a lesser extent, Leury, Abreu and McCann. Forget everyone else.

Just now, The Sir said:

Let's not freak out about this. First, I'm 32 and the west coast has been a house of horrors for us since I was a child. Second, none of the really embarrassing players so far today are significant for the long term health of this team. Who cares about winning? We're not getting that second wild card, fellas, but we are going to end the season close to .500. Root for Moncada, Jimenez, Collins, and to a lesser extent, Leury, Abreu and McCann. Forget everyone else.

Yep, could be a blessing in disguise

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All the more reason to trade Abreu.  Make some sort of handshake deal with him.  We want you back next year but we are going to trade you to bring some talent back.  We will resign you in the offseason.  Don’t sell your house.