Adding a minor league team

ron883

I mentioned this in a game thread, but it's frustrating seeing other successful developmental clubs having multiple teams in AZL, etc., But the White Sox only have one. It seems like there is a glut of players in the summer league to rookie ball range that deserve a look and some more ABs. When the hell will the Sox get another AZL team?

On 7/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, ron883 said:

I mentioned this in a game thread, but it's frustrating seeing other successful developmental clubs having multiple teams in AZL, etc., But the White Sox only have one. It seems like there is a glut of players in the summer league to rookie ball range that deserve a look and some more ABs. When the hell will the Sox get another AZL team?

When JR wants to spend the money I guess.

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Lip, what is the cost of another AZL team?

That's a good question. Seriously I don't know but you have to pay players, team executives, stadium upkeep, utility bills, insurance costs. I'd imagine on the surface it's not cheap. Relatively speaking though since MLB is now a 10 billion dollar industry when you look at it in those terms the cost is minor.

52 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's a good question. Seriously I don't know but you have to pay players, team executives, stadium upkeep, utility bills, insurance costs. I'd imagine on the surface it's not cheap. Relatively speaking though since MLB is now a 10 billion dollar industry when you look at it in those terms the cost is minor.

We’re talking about adding another AZL team, not a full season affiliate.  The cost wouldn’t even remotely comparable.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re talking about adding another AZL team, not a full season affiliate.  The cost wouldn’t even remotely comparable.

Wasn't comparing it to anything other than as rich as MLB is right now, the cost while nothing to sneeze at wouldn't be a back breaker for anybody. And even a short season team costs money to operate. How much? Again that's a great question as well as why the Sox won't add one.

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Wasn't comparing it to anything other than as rich as MLB is right now, the cost while nothing to sneeze at wouldn't be a back breaker for anybody. And even a short season team costs money to operate. How much? Again that's a great question as well as why the Sox won't add one.

But an AZL team is vastly different than any other affiliate as they are strictly developmental vs. also serving an entertainment function.  I think the cost would be insignificant and I think it’s pretty ridiculous we haven’t looked into adding another club given the amount of LatAm & HS guys we have in place now.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But an AZL team is vastly different than any other affiliate as they are strictly developmental vs. also serving an entertainment function.  I think the cost would be insignificant and I think it’s pretty ridiculous we haven’t looked into adding another club given the amount of LatAm & HS guys we have in place now.

I agree but remember JR has often said he's really not interested in paying for "potential". He prefers to pay based on actual results. It is a short sighted take in my opinion but that seems to be part of his basic philosophy.

Edited by Lip Man 1

Sox had 2 DSL teams back in 2007 and 2008 seasons. It may or may not had to do with the extra revenues we were pulling in post-WS.

For comparison sakes, Cubs have added a 2nd DSL team in 2008 and a 2nd AZL team in 2018.

With the rising cost of MLB contracts, even getting a single cost-controlled MLB player for 6 years pays for yearly cost of a short season league team. I don't see a reason we don't why we wouldn't considering expanding. I hope it's something Getz is already pitching to JR on.

Orgs # of MILB teams
Astros 9
Cardinals 9
Cubs 9
Diamondbacks 9
Dodgers 9
Mets 9
Phillies 9
Pirates 9
Rays 9
Brewers 8.5
Indians 8.5
Athletics 8
Blue Jays 8
Giants 8
Padres 8
Red Sox 8
Rockies 8
Royals 8
Tigers 8
Yankees 8
Angels 7
Braves 7
Mariners 7
Marlins 7
Nationals 7
Orioles 7
Rangers 7
Reds 7
Twins 7
White Sox 7

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, ron883 said:

I think some organizations have multiple teams in the DSL as well.