White Sox activate right-hander Dylan Covey, DFA Juan Minaya

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Reinsdorf still shuffling Titanic deck chairs.

Spend some damn money, man.

Start stabilizing this pitching staff.

He did spend money.  Hahn chose to use it on Alonso,  Nova, Santana and Jon Jay.   That's the problem.

Maybe one day JR will do something about it.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

I'm kinda surprised they didn't send down Ruiz instead of dfa Minaya.  Minaya has not been that bad for the last year and a half.  I know Ruiz has great stuff but he is very raw.  Does Ruiz not have options left?

This quote made me laugh:

“We’ve always been big fans of Minny,” White Sox manager Rick Renteria said. “We wanted him to be a little more efficient.”

Don't  worry... like the Terminator "he'll be back" once he passes through waivers. He sucks period, just like half of the current staff including Covey.

By the way here are the splits on Minaya courtesy of Merkin:

"Recording a 3.90 ERA in 22 appearances. But after posting a 1.15 ERA in his first 11 games (two earned runs in 15 2/3 innings), the right-hander compiled a 7.50 ERA (10 earned runs in 12 innings) over his next 11 outings."

More trash that the Sox never seem to be able to get rid of over the past few years.`

4 hours ago, GreenSox said:

He did spend money.  Hahn chose to use it on Alonso,  Nova, Santana and Jon Jay.   That's the problem.

Maybe one day JR will do something about it.

Add Herrera to your list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

The Covey experiment has to end soon

He has looked like a serviceable backend guy prior to this start. I'm willing to give him more chances as a 5th starter. If not, demote him to the mop up guy for times like yesterday. 

As Jim Margalus wrote today: "Covey is now 6-26 with an ERA above six for his career, and it feels like the rebuild won't really turn a corner until he's nowhere in the White Sox plans. They're going to have major problems as long as Covey looks like a potential solution to them."

He's correct in my opinion. And the Sox front office needs to solve the pitching issue this off season. No excuses.

17 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This quote made me laugh:

“We’ve always been big fans of Minny,” White Sox manager Rick Renteria said. “We wanted him to be a little more efficient.”

Don't  worry... like the Terminator "he'll be back" once he passes through waivers. He sucks period, just like half of the current staff including Covey.

By the way here are the splits on Minaya courtesy of Merkin:

"Recording a 3.90 ERA in 22 appearances. But after posting a 1.15 ERA in his first 11 games (two earned runs in 15 2/3 innings), the right-hander compiled a 7.50 ERA (10 earned runs in 12 innings) over his next 11 outings."

More trash that the Sox never seem to be able to get rid of over the past few years.`

You were calling Bummer a stiff last summer and requesting his DFA (when he still had options). Just remember that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You were calling Bummer a stiff last summer and requesting his DFA (when he still had options). Just remember that. 

You would have to be mentally challenged to hate on Bummer last year. He was extremely unlucky and every stat in the world screamed that he is a good reliever.

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

True, and I concede the point. Two comments though:

1. Bummer has apparently turned things around for less than one season. Let's see if he can keep it going. Avasil Garcia also "turned it around" for one year...how'd that work out? Let's wait and see before basically anointing him as the Sox left handed version of Andrew Miller in his prime shall we?

2. Covey and Minaya have had more than enough time (like Fulmer) to show what they can, or in this case can't do. Both have been bounced around, up and down, like yo-yo's between the minor leagues and the Sox the past few years....that in itself says something in my opinion.

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You would have to be mentally challenged to hate on Bummer last year. He was extremely unlucky and every stat in the world screamed that he is a good reliever.

Excepting of course, his W/L record, his ERA and the number of inherited runners he allowed to score in both 2017 and 2018. His strike out to walk ratio was also awful in 2017. Other than that he was "lights out" for those two seasons. Yep, yep (as Ron Kittle would say...) He's showing he can get better (which is a good thing) but is it a real change or a fluke? We'll see in the next year or so.

Now you may not personally like or accept the "stats" I commented on, but in fact they are stats so your comment "every stat in the world" isn't true.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

True, and I concede the point. Two comments though:

1. Bummer has apparently turned things around for less than one season. Let's see if he can keep it going. Avasil Garcia also "turned it around" for one year...how'd that work out? Let's wait and see before basically anointing him as the Sox left handed version of Andrew Miller in his prime shall we?

2. Covey and Minaya have had more than enough time (like Fulmer) to show what they can, or in this case can't do. Both have been bounced around, up and down, like yo-yo's between the minor leagues and the Sox the past few years....that in itself says something in my opinion.

Did I anoint him Andrew Miller? I don’t recall doing that.

i think it’s more likely that you just blindly call every reliever that gives up a run a stiff and call for their mindless release/DFA, over and over and over again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Did I anoint him Andrew Miller? I don’t recall doing that.

i think it’s more likely that you just blindly call every reliever that gives up a run a stiff and call for their mindless release/DFA, over and over and over again.

I didn't say that you did say it did I? My point is valid though, he's been good for a half season, others have done the same and flamed out big time. Give it time with him and we'll see. 

And the reason I feel the way I do about most Sox relief pitchers is because the track record at the major and minor league levels has been so poor especially with development over the past several years. I'm skeptical until shown otherwise. We're talking about the White Sox here remember, cynicism because of results (or lack of same) is somewhat inherent.

59, let's face it, you know and I know most of these guys are bad, it doesn't take a genius to see it, unless you believe in miracles or luck. I just admit it as a fact and move on.

I hope Bummer and Giolito and McCann have turned it around and can become very good players because that will give the rebuild a tremendous shot in the arm but until I see more evidence that this has happened, a larger body of work, again I'm skeptical because of the organization. 

Edited by Lip Man 1