To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

So what does everyone think?  Who should be traded?  I challenge Greg to respond now that the Sox are 42-46 and going nowhere.  They are 14 games back for the division and 7.5 games back for the Wild Card.  I would definitely trade Abreu and Colome if the return looks good.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Trade Abreu. Trade Colome. Trade Bummer. Trade Leury Garcia. Trade Yolmer. Trade Herrera.

DFA Beef Wellington, Jon Jay, and Jose Rondon if you can't trade them, 

If the deals are there, I agree with all of that. 

The DFAs, meh, you might have to play out the string with Jay and Rondon.

Colome is the only guy you get value for trading. Maybe Leury. No one will give you anything for Yolmer or Herrera. We likely won't move Abreu. There's zero reason to move Bummer, as you won't get value there either. We won't DFA Castillo (as I bet we send Collins down after we finish in Oakland) nor will we DFA Jay. If we decide to call up Robert or something Tilson will go. Could possibly DFA Rondon for Mendick or something I guess.

I would offer prospects like  Blake Rutherford, Steele Walker or even Zack Collins for a decent starting pitcher.

Madrigal should be brought up now so Leury can play Right Field and Yolmer short until TA comes back.

Robert should have been brought up after the All star break.  They are wasting his time in the minors.

I still want the Sox to win as many as they can this season.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, tray said:

I would offer prospects like  Blake Rutherford, Steele Walker or even Zack Collins for a decent starting pitcher.

Madrigal should be brought up now so Leury can play Right Field and Yolmer short until TA comes back.

Robert should have been brought up after the All star break.  They are wasting his time in the minors.

I still want the Sox to win as many as they can this season.

Walker who is a left-handed centerfielder having a breakout season; Rutherford is a left-handed rightfielder finally on the bounceback and is young for AA; and Collins is a young, left-handed catcher who just made the bigs.

And we just want a "decent" starting pitcher? This is how we end up with Tatis for Shields.

• Like 2

Hold, not sell. What do we think we will get for pieces we should hold onto and build on in 2020? Abreu, Colome and Bummer are on my list to keep. Try selling Leury but don’t trade anything if you don’t get anything worth it. It doesn’t make sense to deal everyone like in last years.

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So what does everyone think?  Who should be traded?  I challenge Greg to respond now that the Sox are 42-46 and going nowhere.  They are 14 games back for the division and 7.5 games back for the Wild Card.  I would definitely trade Abreu and Colome if the return looks good.

I'll comment since I do agree today killed our playoff hopes. We're 4 under .500 which means if we get hot it's still going to take another week or so just to get to .500. We're out of time with so many teams ahead of us and the Sox still kind of dysfunctional (and injured of course with Timmy out).

Of course I never want us to sell but to please everybody I will now agree to sell and give you my specific trades. I will be sad when we sell Abreu and McCann especially, but I'm giving my OK to sell to please the board and trust that you all are right.

The obvious candidates to sell are Jose, Colome, Bummer, Leury, Yolmer, Herrera, McCann, Beef, Jay, Rondon. I may be forgetting somebody, maybe Reed too.

Since you guys insist we can always acquire relievers this offseason or in our system, I'll agree to trade Colome to the Cubs (or whoever needs a closer or 8th inning guy) in return for 2 VERY GOOD prospects, prospects our scouts believe will "make an impact" in the bigs someday.

I realize Colome was only worth Narvaez to begin with, but now that he's been very good, Hahn must rob somebody and get two very good prospects as he did in the Eaton deal. Colome for 2 very good Cub prospects or to another team that will give us two guys for a "talented" arm that is on fire this season.

Bummer: He's young, yes, but was high-round draft pick, which means scouts never thought that much of him. Again trade him in a singular deal for 2 prospects. Go to a team that needs him and demand 2 guys who our scouts feel ARE BIG LEAGUERS in the future and NOT STIFFS. Real prospects. Rob somebody. You say it's not easy to rob somebody? That's Hahn's job if he's selling players who can be of value to a contender NOW.

Abreu: As much as I will cry about losing Jose (or get drunk after we deal him), since you all want him flipped, go ahead and trade him to the Dodgers for some of those names we always talk about. Try to grab 4 very very very good prospects (it's up to Hahn to not blow it; make them guys expected to be real major leaguers, not Jon Jay's). Not sure who needs him but go ahead and trade him for 3-4 outstanding prospects. Try to make one of them can't miss. The other 3 should be future major leaguers. If you can't get 4, get 3.

Leury: Probably should keep him because does any team really believe in Leury? If they do, by all means, ship him for 2 very good prospects, NOT STIFFS and/or minor league fillers.

Herrera: Trade him for cash and one minor league shortstop with moderate potential.

McCann: Since we have Collins, trade him for our future right fielder. Get a guy who is fast and can hit. Also another prospect. Get two guys for McCann.

Beef: Trade him for cash considerations and a moderate prospect who probably won't make it.

Jay and Rondon: Trade them both for whatever you can get plus cash considerations. Separate deals. Trade Jay to somebody who needs a veteran who will play the role of a Blum for some contender. Get a prospect. Rondon to whoever needs him for a prospect.

I apologize for not mentioning specific names of the guys we get in return. I'm not an expert on prospects in other organizations. What I'm saying is Colome, Abreu and Bummer all are of immediate value to contenders so make it hurt for teams to acquire them. WIN SOME TRADES.

In conclusion: If we trade all these guys for prospects, our minor league system will be overflowing with bodies. There will be enough infielders and outfielders to fill out a three-deep depth chart for the future of all our positions. Get relievers and starters this offseason through free agency.

I promise these feelings are mine and mine alone, in my baseball brain. If you deem them ridiculous, feel free to blast me but remember these are my true feelings as of 12:30 a.m., Sunday.

As an opposition GM in buyer's mode, the only guys I might have any use for are Colome, Bummer and Garcia.

There's reasons why the Sox are 14 games out of first and 7.5 out of a wild card berth besides the owner and the front office: the current on-field talent collectively is not very good.

Edited by GradMc

All I know is that if they empty out the bullpen fora prospect, they better hit on the prospect.This is a little different than trading for Rutherford. You didn’t need a good bullpen for a couple of years back then, but you will next year.Since a lot of their minor leaguers they thought would be holding don bullpen roles now are hurt, it would make for a huge dilemma next year if you expected to be good. It also would mean this team would probably lose 87-90 games. And would  that stunt development ?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

All I know is that if they empty out the bullpen fora prospect, they better hit on the prospect.This is a little different than trading for Rutherford. You didn’t need a good bullpen for a couple of years back then, but you will next year.Since a lot of their minor leaguers they thought would be holding don bullpen roles now are hurt, it would make for a huge dilemma next year if you expected to be good. It also would mean this team would probably lose 87-90 games. And would  that stunt development ?

This is true.  Many people would think that trading Colome and Bummer for a guy like Dustin May is a no brainer but then your bullpen is trash as a result.

But then again, that rumor is likely trash because it is coming from Peggy Kusinski’s kid.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get a chance to watch the second Oakland game. My wife checked the score on her cell phone and then was hesitant to tell me the score. I told her just tell me and she need not worry about my reaction.  At that time, it was 12-2. Lopsided losses are more common for the White Sox because of lack of major league depth. For the time being I would like to keep the few major league caliber players the team has. The White Sox are supposed to have all these great young talent. Why would the team trade for more prospects?

There are no absolutes, but I don't think the team should sell to pursue non-stop rebuilding.

18 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I didn't get a chance to watch the second Oakland game. My wife checked the score on her cell phone and then was hesitant to tell me the score. I told her just tell me and she need not worry about my reaction.  At that time, it was 12-2. Lopsided losses are more common for the White Sox because of lack of major league depth. For the time being I would like to keep the few major league caliber players the team has. The White Sox are supposed to have all these great young talent. Why would the team trade for more prospects?

There are no absolutes, but I don't think the team should sell to pursue non-stop rebuilding.

Cause as we've learned the hard way, prospects get injured.

They have to sell.  They have to get multiple young arms in here to have a chance.  Yes they may end up having to trade prospects - but for young major league ready pitchers, not veterans with 2 years left on their deal.   But now they have the opportunity to trade veterans:  Abreu, Colome and even McCann need to be on the block.  You don't have to force a trade, but see if someone will overpay.

Bummer is controlled through 2024 so he would be toward the bottom of the trade list.

Edited by GreenSox

Trade Colome and Bummer.  Relievers are way to volatile and unless you have one of maybe a handful of guys (neither one qualifies) they can not be counted on in the near future let alone the long term.  If the Sox can get a starter or everyday player absolutely do it.  Rebuilding a bullpen is a yearly activity.  

• Like 1

There are good arguments for both sides.  Depends on how Colome and Bummer do next year, which we can only know in hindsight.  But I would favor trading them if Hahn gets a good offer.  Just look at Blake Treinen, who Stone was talking about last night.  One of the best relievers in the league last year, terrible this year.  If Colome and Bummer have down years next year we're going to regret not trading them now.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The only way you trade Bummer is if you get a high end, major league ready piece back (SP or RF).  If the Dodgers are willing to give up Dustin May for Colome & Bummer, you say “thank you” and simply allocate more of our money to the bullpen in the offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is true.  Many people would think that trading Colome and Bummer for a guy like Dustin May is a no brainer but then your bullpen is trash as a result.

But then again, that rumor is likely trash because it is coming from Peggy Kusinski’s kid.

It’s trash for this year, but next year is another story.  You’d definitely have to go out and sign some relievers in the offseason.