To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, but let’s say you can get May for Colome & Bummer.  Add one quality free agent starter (say Wheeler as an example) and suddenly you have a rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Kopech, & May.  That is a cheap (like $20M next year), incredibly talented rotation that sets you up for years to come.  Plus you have Rodon coming back to fill in for one of the young guys in the second half and Dane Dunning to eventually factor in the mix as needed.

At that point, you can easily move Lopez to the bullpen and try him in a setup role.  Fry is still around and I still believe he can be a damn good LH reliever.  Herrera has been complete garbage this year, but I still believe he’s not 100% yet and I’m ok gambling on him being an effective middle reliever next year.  We’d have to add two high end relievers via free agency and probably at least one lesser guy to fill a role until one of our younger guys is ready, but I think it’s definitely doable.

I would like to see them find another young lefty starter. . I think Rodon is the only lefty on the horizon at this point

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, but let’s say you can get May for Colome & Bummer.  Add one quality free agent starter (say Wheeler as an example) and suddenly you have a rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Kopech, & May.  That is a cheap (like $20M next year), incredibly talented rotation that sets you up for years to come.  Plus you have Rodon coming back to fill in for one of the young guys in the second half and Dane Dunning to eventually factor in the mix as needed.

At that point, you can easily move Lopez to the bullpen and try him in a setup role.  Fry is still around and I still believe he can be a damn good LH reliever.  Herrera has been complete garbage this year, but I still believe he’s not 100% yet and I’m ok gambling on him being an effective middle reliever next year.  We’d have to add two high end relievers via free agency and probably at least one lesser guy to fill a role until one of our younger guys is ready, but I think it’s definitely doable.

Yeah, that sounds like a nice plan. I guess the question is - would a team really give up a top 50 (and close to mlb ready)  prospect for those 2 guys? I'm skeptical. You sold me though.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah, that sounds like a nice plan. I guess the question is - would a team really give up a top 50 (and close to mlb ready)  prospect for those 2 guys? I'm skeptical. You sold me though.

Oh, I’m skeptical too.  Just saying getting a guy like May warrants blowing up the bullpen because it allows us to allocate more financial resources to the bullpen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it answers anyone's question on whether or not to sell, Eric Longenhagen said that without Robert and Madrigal, the Sox farm would be around 25th-27th in baseball. That is bottom 5 territory. 

They need more prospects. 

Wouldn’t that be true if you took Kopech, Cease and Vaughn (what the hell, Dunning too) out of nearly every team’s Top Ten list?  

Maybe the Braves, Rays and Padres would still be in the teens with those losses...

48 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Why single out Cordell? He was a near mlb ready prospect that was blocked. These are the guys the Sox should be trying to trade for. 

Do you mean don't make a trade just to make a trade? 

Both I suppose.

IMO, in 2020, I would rather have Colome, as an example, on the team than a prospect the caliber of Cordell. Cordell was just the first example that came to mind.

If all we can get is a Cordell then I would rather hold on to Colome. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is an interesting take and one I think I'd be willing to take a gamble on. The question is would the Dodgers?

I'd sell on Colome. I'd look to Philly (desperate for RP help) and inquire about Spencer Howard. I'd make that 1-1 trade in a heartbeat. I'd even consider taking Dave Robertson and his $11M salary through 2020 to make the money more even...and, if Philly throws in Cole Irvin, we could sweeten things from our side...maybe Fulmer or Fry (I would try to avoid moving Bummer but if it nets us Howard and Irvin, I'd think hard about it). BTW, I don't think Colome & Bummer net you May. 

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it answers anyone's question on whether or not to sell, Eric Longenhagen said that without Robert and Madrigal, the Sox farm would be around 25th-27th in baseball. That is bottom 5 territory. 

What??? If this is true, then I am totally vindicated on my disdain for the fricking draft and tanking. Our drafts have been that bad?? We got Robert internationally not in the draft. And Madrigal ... no offense but I've been told more than relievers, second basemen are truly a dime a dozen. Madrigal hopefully will excel but he doesn't make me jump for joy daily just thinking about him.

5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yep, we've promoted a lot of guys the last couple years and the rest got destroyed by injuries.  We don't have much of a well to draw from after the rest get promoted this year/early next year.

Let's see promoted a lot of guys, moncada, eloy, kopech, cease all trades there drafting which needed to be good has been garbage.

• Like 1

Our drafting really has not been solid. Who did we draft with our pics during the rebuild in the first round that worked out? Madrigal and Vaughn (albeit with a super small sample size)?

Rodon has not lived up to expectations due to performance and injuries.

Collins

Burger

2 hours ago, Capital G said:

Our drafting really has not been solid. Who did we draft with our pics during the rebuild in the first round that worked out? Madrigal and Vaughn (albeit with a super small sample size)?

Rodon has not lived up to expectations due to performance and injuries.

Collins

Burger

Tim Anderson

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Andrew Vaughn and Nick Madrigal...

This is like praising the Sox for taking Rodon over Schwarber.

The main argument coming from a front office would be Madrigal’s offensive potential vs. the college outfielders and CJ Abrams.

Two months ago, Madrigal was still viewed as a bust by half the board, and he continues to have a lot of prominent detractors, or at least those who feel he’s much closer to 2-3 fWAR player than a consistent 4-6.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Let’s be honest — both guys were no brainer picks where the Sox drafted.

I was on the board during the draft this year and Vaughn was considered a "safe" pick.  

Kris Bryant was a no brainer pick and the Astros passed on him.  You get credit for all your draft picks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I was on the board during the draft this year and Vaughn was considered a "safe" pick.  

Kris Bryant was a no brainer pick and the Astros passed on him.  You get credit for all your draft picks.

The mock drafts were pretty much dead on this year.  They had Vaughn going #3 and called him the best hitter in the draft.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Actually, we got the best pure college hitter two consecutive drafts, although Adley Rutschman might disagree for either season. 

(Of course, Hostetler made the same claim about Collins...and Burger, to a slightly lesser extent.)

Yes, Madrigal was also considered the best hitter in the draft when the Sox took him.  I don’t know how much credit I give the Sox on picking two guys that were pretty much best player available when they drafted.  Just like I don’t give the Cubs any credit for drafting Bryant.  I just think the Astros whiffed.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, Madrigal was also considered the best hitter in the draft when the Sox took him.  I don’t know how much credit I give the Sox on two guys that were pretty much best player available when they drafted.  I don’t give the Cubs any credit for drafting Bryant.  I just think the Astros whiffed.

It’s like the Prior vs. Mauer argument at the time.  They valued Appel as a pitcher more than Bryant as a hitter.  Obviously, psychological makeup was overlooked.

Vaughn and Madrigal are the only 1st rounders earned from being bad in the rebuild. The Burger pick was earned while we still had Sale, Eaton and Q on the roster. If we had lost a couple more games we could've picked Jo Addell… who went a pick before us. I would say that makes a good case for the "tanking" that greg hates so much.

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Rays and Rangers just pulled off a minor leaguer for minor leaguer trade.  God forbid maybe the Sox can do some in house scouting and actually do something creative like this. I understand that's asking way too much from this FO but hey a guy can dream. 

BTW- that was a fantastic trade for the Rangers.  

The White Sox are the vanilla ice cream, they do nothing but make money, and that is all that matters for them, how frustrating.