To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The next couple weeks should foreshadow the Sox's plan for 2020. Trading Colome and Bummer would decimate the bullpen and likely signal the punting of 2020. 

Disagree, the one thing the sox have been good at lately is putting together a half decent bullpen on the fly. 

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it answers anyone's question on whether or not to sell, Eric Longenhagen said that without Robert and Madrigal, the Sox farm would be around 25th-27th in baseball. That is bottom 5 territory. 

They need more prospects. 

There are very few teams, if any, you couldn't say the same thing. Take any team's top 2 prospects away, and their rank will drop off a cliff.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

There are very few teams, if any, you couldn't say the same thing. Take any team's top 2 prospects away, and their rank will drop off a cliff.

Plus Longenhagen didn't account for the fact that they also just added a top 30 prospect in Vaughn. 

42 minutes ago, raBBit said:

in regards to the title: stay the course. Sell. Sell high on bullpen pitchers always. 

No, no, NOOOOO!  Let's keep the only two good guys we have in our bullpen. 

I really do believe that some of you flip guys enjoy it when the Sox lose: the excitment of the early draft choice, following some prospect down in HIgh A or lower, who will never make it to the majors but still living this fantasy, b****ing about the Sox when they lose. You flippers enjoy that more than the Sox winning. 

Hey, if you wanna trade someone, let's trade Vaughn. We have an all-star 1st baseman (two years in a row) and Gavin Sheets doing very well down in AA (Or is that too close for you flippers? Do you flippers only care about prospect in the DZL or AZL?). Let's sign Abreu to a three year deal, and when he really does start to decline (as opposed to right now when he's having his best year as a White Sox), Sheets will be ready to take over at 1st base. 

There's nowhere for Vaughn to play; he's blocked by an all-star for the next couple years. Vaughn is really hot right now and a complete unknown; that makes him more valuable. I assume that there's tons of executives who suffer from "Second-String Quarterback Syndrome" and are absolutely sure that the total unknown is going to be better than someone who has been doing a great job for years. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

This isn't opinion, this is just factually incorrect. 

I really don't understand how others can't see that this either is least productive year, or second least productive year by a not insignificant margin. 

Just now, mqr said:

I really don't understand how others can't see that this either is least productive year, or second least productive year by a not insignificant margin. 

Not only that, but Abreu's 2014 season was MVP-caliber and I have no idea how anyone could argue that it's not also his best season overall

Okay, I'll bite. What fact isn't correct?

Do we have two better guys in the bullpen than Coleme and Bummer?  "Only two good guys"?

Was Jose not an all-star for the 2nd year in a row? Is he not having his best year?  Are not numerous posters on the board talking about how Sheet seems to have found his power stroke and he has a ton of RBIs? 

Of course I can't prove as a fact that flippers enjoy seeing the Sox lose, but when people come on here saying that it's time to tank the season and go for another high draft choice, and these same people keep wanting to get rid of many of the Sox's best players: Abreu, Colome, Bummer, McCann, how can I not think that their ultimate goal is for the Sox to lose. 

I think my opinion is at least as valid an the people who keep wanting to trade some of our best players for unknown minor league players. 

Just now, vilehoopster said:

Do we have two better guys in the bullpen than Coleme and Bummer?  "Only two good guys"?

Was Jose not an all-star for the 2nd year in a row? Is he not having his best year?  Are not numerous posters on the board talking about how Sheet seems to have found his power stroke and he has a ton of RBIs? 

Of course I can't prove as a fact that flippers enjoy seeing the Sox lose, but when people come on here saying that it's time to tank the season and go for another high draft choice, and these same people keep wanting to get rid of many of the Sox's best players: Abreu, Colome, Bummer, McCann, how can I not think that their ultimate goal is for the Sox to lose. 

I think my opinion is at least as valid an the people who keep wanting to trade some of our best players for unknown minor league players. 

It's not remotely close to being Abreu's best year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

The Sox have about 20 more wins than they did at this time last year. How is that not productive? What is productive for you? 

31 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I really do believe that some of you flip guys enjoy it when the Sox lose: the excitment of the early draft choice, following some prospect down in HIgh A or lower, who will never make it to the majors but still living this fantasy, b****ing about the Sox when they lose. You flippers enjoy that more than the Sox winning. 

Hey, if you wanna trade someone, let's trade Vaughn. We have an all-star 1st baseman (two years in a row) and Gavin Sheets doing very well down in AA (Or is that too close for you flippers? Do you flippers only care about prospect in the DZL or AZL?). Let's sign Abreu to a three year deal, and when he really does start to decline (as opposed to right now when he's having his best year as a White Sox), Sheets will be ready to take over at 1st base. 

There's nowhere for Vaughn to play; he's blocked by an all-star for the next couple years. Vaughn is really hot right now and a complete unknown; that makes him more valuable. I assume that there's tons of executives who suffer from "Second-String Quarterback Syndrome" and are absolutely sure that the total unknown is going to be better than someone who has been doing a great job for years. 

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

These two posts are mostly hyperbole but there are some nuggets of truth sprinkled in there. 

This should be the last year that the Sox are trying to flip guys. If we are still sellers at the deadline next year then heads need to start rolling over at 35th and Shields. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, vilehoopster said:

In 2014 he had 36 home runs and 107 RBIs. 

Barely past halfway and he has 21 home runs and 66 RBIs. And he usually doesn't get really hot until August, so I think it is a very valid argument that he's having his best year every. 

Maybe if it were the home run derby. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

These two posts are mostly hyperbole but there are some nuggets of truth sprinkled in there. 

This should be the last year that the Sox are trying to flip guys. If we are still sellers at the deadline next year then heads need to start rolling over at 35th and Shields. 

I buy this assessment of my post 100%  But it drives me to distraction that people on this board keep calling for trading such important players right as things are starting to look up and become exciting (let's not overreact after the Oakland series). 

And people on this board have repeatedly stated that they enjoy watching prospect improve more than watching the Sox win, that the improvement means more than the wins, so some of that hyperbole is justified. 

42 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

1) Vaughn is not eligible to be traded until after the world series

2) Why the heck would we trade Vaughn, who was one of the best hitters in college baseball? Vaughn is arguably the best 1B prospect in baseball right now. 

3) Abreu is going to be 33 years old next year and is likely due to decline. I highly doubt he would get a three year deal from anyone on the open market. I would not go beyond a two year deal with club option on him. 

4) Gavin Sheet has had a nice June/July, but he's still far from me considering him for a MLB roster spot. He has hit righties pretty well, but a .632 season OPS against lefties should give pause before considering him as more than a potential platoon player. 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I'm surprised nobody has wondered if vilehoopster is greg. His opinions are just like mine. I love vile!

In Nightengale's article today he mentioned the White Sox exploring a short term extension with Abreu. For those that want him flipped. Maybe warrants a thread. Maybe not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/07/15/mlb-trade-rumors-deadline-madison-bumgarner/1734045001/

Edited by DirtySox