To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

Sell the older guys that won’t be on the team in 2/3 years...BUT also see if we can buy a younger guy or 2 with multiple years of control. Obviously this isn’t going to be a very good established player, but I think we should be fishing for reclamation projects for sure. We need more SP’s and probably more OF’ers as well. I don’t think we have enough healthy talent in the organization at either spot to feel comfortable...especially SP’s. Not sure why our front office loves to trout out the same junk we all know isn’t good emough

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

In Nightengale's article today he mentioned the White Sox exploring a short term extension with Abreu. For those that want him flipped. Maybe warrants a thread. Maybe not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/07/15/mlb-trade-rumors-deadline-madison-bumgarner/1734045001/

This seems to echo exactly what I have been suggesting, a one to two year deal possibly with a club option for another season? 

I really think the fans calling for a three or four year extension are going to be surprised when the Sox won't go more than short term. 

42 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

This seems to echo exactly what I have been suggesting, a one to two year deal possibly with a club option for another season? 

I really think the fans calling for a three or four year extension are going to be surprised when the Sox won't go more than short term. 

Could it also be we are working on his contract we will offer next season after we trade him this year? Like trade him away with next years deal already in place? Haha I know this isn't likely but it would be best for the team. You get to keep Abreu for when we start to be good plus you get some trade pieces.

5 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

No, no, NOOOOO!  Let's keep the only two good guys we have in our bullpen. 

I really do believe that some of you flip guys enjoy it when the Sox lose: the excitment of the early draft choice, following some prospect down in HIgh A or lower, who will never make it to the majors but still living this fantasy, b****ing about the Sox when they lose. You flippers enjoy that more than the Sox winning. 

Hey, if you wanna trade someone, let's trade Vaughn. We have an all-star 1st baseman (two years in a row) and Gavin Sheets doing very well down in AA (Or is that too close for you flippers? Do you flippers only care about prospect in the DZL or AZL?). Let's sign Abreu to a three year deal, and when he really does start to decline (as opposed to right now when he's having his best year as a White Sox), Sheets will be ready to take over at 1st base. 

There's nowhere for Vaughn to play; he's blocked by an all-star for the next couple years. Vaughn is really hot right now and a complete unknown; that makes him more valuable. I assume that there's tons of executives who suffer from "Second-String Quarterback Syndrome" and are absolutely sure that the total unknown is going to be better than someone who has been doing a great job for years. 

Thank god you are not our GM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The next couple weeks should foreshadow the Sox's plan for 2020. Trading Colome and Bummer would decimate the bullpen and likely signal the punting of 2020. 

I think the next few weeks will tell us a lot about the 2020 plan.  I don't agree that trading Colome and Bummer means we are not going for it.  Many of us have said a trade is reasonable if we receive a true overpay.  If we trade them for just some prospect because we can...I agree...that would not be a good sign.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Tonight any remaining doubts should have been answered.  We need some new parts.  Hope Rick isn't planning on any days off the next couple of weeks.

Guys I would definitely trade if the offers are reasonable:

Abreu

Colome

Leury

Guys I would accept a bucket of balls and some minor salary relief for:

Castillo

Jay

Yolmer

I would keep McCann for next year.  Maybe Castillo could net something if Maldonado returned Montgomery but we would likely have to eat some of Castillo’s remaining salary.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Guys I would definitely trade if the offers are reasonable:

Abreu

Colome

Leury

Guys I would accept a bucket of balls and some minor salary relief for:

Castillo

Jay

Yolmer

I would keep McCann for next year.  Maybe Castillo could net something if Maldonado returned Montgomery but we would likely have to eat some of Castillo’s remaining salary.

Add Jose Rondon to your bag of balls list.

50 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Please add @vilehoopster to that list. 

Honestly, I would throw in cash considerations to make his takes go away. 

Trade Andrew Vaughn? WTF

God, you are a complete disaster of a poster.  

How about less of your constant, inane attacks on other posters and maybe, just maybe, you try and add a salient point or two to the conversations about White Sox baseball around here.   Enough of your nonsense already.  

On 7/15/2019 at 4:26 PM, yesterday333 said:

Could it also be we are working on his contract we will offer next season after we trade him this year? Like trade him away with next years deal already in place? Haha I know this isn't likely but it would be best for the team. You get to keep Abreu for when we start to be good plus you get some trade pieces.

This sure seems farfetched to me. As el rockin said, this is no way to do it and the Sox won't be doing this nonsense. Flipping him then bringing him back immediately.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd be willing to sell either the owner or the front office right now myself.

If Reinsdorf wasn't making so much money ... please sir, for the sake of Chicago sell the damn team to somebody who will do it the right way: PAY, PAY, PAY for talent.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

If Reinsdorf wasn't making so much money ... please sir, for the sake of Chicago sell the damn team to somebody who will do it the right way: PAY, PAY, PAY for talent.

Estate planning has more to do with Jerry's selling than anything else.