To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hopefully Hahn is fielding offers and getting ready to trade what he can.  

I'd rather him not trade if the offers aren't good enough. He should be asking for a kings ransom for our relievers and accept no less. 

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'd rather him not trade if the offers aren't good enough. He should be asking for a kings ransom for our relievers and accept no less. 

You ask for a kings ransom for Bummer since he is under control for so long. You take whatever you can get for Colome, Jay, Castillo, Sanchez, since none of those guys have any long term future with the Sox. 

26 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

You ask for a kings ransom for Bummer since he is under control for so long. You take whatever you can get for Colome, Jay, Castillo, Sanchez, since none of those guys have any long term future with the Sox. 

Taking whatever you can get for Colome would be silly. He has another year of control. 

41 minutes ago, Baron said:

Not true at all, deal Colome and Bummer to the highest bidder and move on. I can guarantee you the Sox regret not dealing Fry last season. 

You aren't getting a king's ransom for two non elite relievers, but you could get a return that makes you better. 

55 minutes ago, Baron said:

This is the kind of nonsense we heard last year about Fry. If you can get a decent return we should be moving them all.

Edited by wrathofhahn

I'm coming around to the take whatever you can get train of thought. The Sox are a total mess right now with one of the worse run differentials in baseball. Competing in 2020 does not seem realistic. Continue the tank and continue to stockpile prospects. Sell Sell Sell!

24 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not true at all, deal Colome and Bummer to the highest bidder and move on. I can guarantee you the Sox regret not dealing Fry last season. 

You aren't getting a king's ransom for two non elite relievers, but you could get a return that makes you better. 

Bummer could actually become elite.  Just a little leery of trading cost controlled quality pitching, with all the troubles this org has had identifying and developing pitching.   Colome should absolutely be moved.  Fry has pitched well for the last month, doesn't have elite potential, and could be moved I guess.

Abreu absolutely needs to be traded but they may have waited too long.   And they should field offers for McCann too.

Edited by GreenSox

38 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Bummer could actually become elite.  Just a little leery of trading cost controlled quality pitching, with all the troubles this org has had identifying and developing pitching.   Colome should absolutely be moved.  Fry has pitched well for the last month, doesn't have elite potential, and could be moved I guess.

Abreu absolutely needs to be traded but they may have waited too long.   And they should field offers for McCann too.

The Sox are not a good team in 2019, and every move should be done with a focus on 2021 contention at this point. 2020 is still unlikely to be a realistic contention season, so guys like Colome/Bummer should be sold to the highest bidder. I even question whether it's worth it to extend Abreu, or should they free up that cash for other talent?

38 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

The Sox are not a good team in 2019, and every move should be done with a focus on 2021 contention at this point. 2020 is still unlikely to be a realistic contention season, so guys like Colome/Bummer should be sold to the highest bidder. I even question whether it's worth it to extend Abreu, or should they free up that cash for other talent?

I think Jose is going to potentially take a nice discount to stay with the Sox.  My guess is 2/$18M.  

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I would just let Abreu walk. He is going to be way past his prime by the time the Sox are competing for anything and Vaughn is waiting in the wings. Let Collins, Reed, or Sheets play first base next year. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe they can hold an informative and enlightening press conference on why Reinsdorf and heirs are stuck with us...or fans with them.

I doubt they are going to do that.  Rumor has it they heard about the pitchforks.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Jose is going to potentially take a nice discount to stay with the Sox.  My guess is 2/$18M.  

The market is going to be damn near non existent for a 33 year old poor fielding 1B that’s clearly in decline...whatever he gets from us to return is likely going to be an overpay if anything. 

4 hours ago, steveno89 said:

See here's the thing. If they want to compete next year why even think about moving them for whatever you can get? I'm pretty certain they don't want to do another overhaul of the pen again. 

I see you said 2021 on a post later. I don't think their goal is to start flipping the switch in that year. It should be next year. In any case if they still think 2020 is a rebuild year then free agency they should just stand pat. 

Edited by Baron

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Bummer should be going nowhere short of an overpay.  Colome requires a ML ready prospect of quality but possibly blocked in his current organization.  Abreu needs to be extended at a fair deal (approx. 12 million per year for 2 or 3 yrs) or traded to the highest bidder.  The rest of the names can be dealt for whatever todays market is for backup types.  Oh yeah...stop the silly talk of trading McCann.  We need to build around the quality players we have...not trade them.

6 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm coming around to the take whatever you can get train of thought. The Sox are a total mess right now with one of the worse run differentials in baseball. Competing in 2020 does not seem realistic. Continue the tank and continue to stockpile prospects. Sell Sell Sell!

I don't think the Sox have much to sell, and I have had enough of the tank.

There is no way Bummer is being traded; he's too much a White Sox. Cheap, under control, young. There's no way in hell he gets traded. He also doesn't have the initial pedigree. He was not an early round draft pick.

6 hours ago, steveno89 said:

For some reason I get so mad when somebody wants to free up cash. Why in the hell did Hahn throw away so much money on Alonso and Nova and even Jon Jay. Jerry's wealth irritates me. 

7 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Fair enough (although the Sox control Bummer through 2024) but don't forget to include the person who has the most trade value:  McCann.

And I doubt we'll see much; they've sat out more July's than they should have and don't specialize in "selling high"

Edited by GreenSox