To Sell or Not to Sell?

Moan4Yoan

11 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Fair enough (although the Sox control Bummer through 2024) but don't forget to include the person who has the most trade value:  McCann.

And I doubt we'll see much; they've sat out more July's than they should have and don't specialize in "selling high"

I do not see how McCann can be dealt. Who is going to catch in 2020? McCann has to stay.

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

Couldn't you wait until the offseason after we sign Grandal to trade McCann? Why risk Grandal not signing with us?

I am not really advoating for trading McCann, to be clear.

Though I would definitely trade him without much hesitation if someone made a compelling offer.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

For some reason I get so mad when somebody wants to free up cash. Why in the hell did Hahn throw away so much money on Alonso and Nova and even Jon Jay. Jerry's wealth irritates me. 

By free up cash, I mean we could potentially allocate the $15 million or so an Abreu extension might cost to other player(s). I love what Abreu has brought to the organization, but I do not love the idea of paying retail to an aging slugger. 

The fanbase needs to be prepared for the front office to not be emotional about Abreu and to go in a different direction. His production has declined, and I wouldn't give him more than a one year deal at this stage. 

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

By free up cash, I mean we could potentially allocate the $15 million or so an Abreu extension might cost to other player(s). I love what Abreu has brought to the organization, but I do not love the idea of paying retail to an aging slugger. 

The fanbase needs to be prepared for the front office to not be emotional about Abreu and to go in a different direction. His production has declined, and I wouldn't give him more than a one year deal at this stage. 

with regards to the bolded, the Sox have stated a number of times that they plan to retain Jose.  I see very little reason to believe he won't be on the Sox next year.  I hope the Sox are not emotional about the decision making and tell Jose he'd be lucky to get a 1 year / $10M deal on the open market.  But I also don't expect them to be too harsh.  2/$18M, maybe with a $10M team option for third year seems like a fine compromise.  I too would prefer just a $8-10M 1 year deal with a team option, but at that point Jose probably elects to looks around.  I think the Sox could do a lot worse than having Jose around another season or two if the AAV isn't too far over $10M. 

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I know what you mean but at least tell me you are furious at them for paying Alonso what they did and that hack pitcher from the Pirates Nova and Jon Jay. It seems to me our fans just love saving Jerry money so he can continue to live the rich life. Because of their ill regard for money I want Jose to get as much cash as he can from our ill guided front office and owner.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not really advoating for trading McCann, to be clear.

Though I would definitely trade him without much hesitation if someone made a compelling offer.

Do smart baseball people really think McCann is going to bring the Sox a haul? Let's hear specifics. Do any teams need immediate help at catcher? To me it seems the haul received for McCann will not be that heavy. I think the only tradeable guys to receive a prospect or two that could someday be useful are McCann and Colome.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only chance of the Sox getting anything at the deadline is to package Bummer and Colome. Nobody's giving you anything for Abreu and McCann that makes them worth trading. 

Jack, what's your take on Bummer? Nobody's really commented on my repetitive take that Bummer will NOT be dealt. He's a perfect White Sox to the front office right now. Young, very cheap and with team control for a long time. There's no way in hell they'll flip him. I thought this was one of my better takes.

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Jack, what's your take on Bummer? Nobody's really commented on my repetitive take that Bummer will NOT be dealt. He's a perfect White Sox to the front office right now. Young, very cheap and with team control for a long time. There's no way in hell they'll flip him. I thought this was one of my better takes.

My opinion is that you always trade relievers having a good season when there is a less than 50/50 chance of making the playoffs. I believe this regardless of team control. Relievers are so volatile from season to season, that you can't count on Bummer ever having a year this good again. My belief is relievers are always short term pieces and never long term pieces. 

It doesn't matter what I think of him. He should be traded. He's more valuable to a playoff team than to the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

The offers will dictate who is traded out of Bummer & Colome.  Anyone can be traded but good pieces don't get traded other than in good return deals.  Abreu is another situation.  We either extend him or trade him in the next two weeks.  If you don't extend or trade Abreu you end up with nothing after the season.  I certainly don't think the FO is giving Jose a qualifying offer.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:55 AM, poppysox said:

The offers will dictate who is traded out of Bummer & Colome.  Anyone can be traded but good pieces don't get traded other than in good return deals.  Abreu is another situation.  We either extend him or trade him in the next two weeks.  If you don't extend or trade Abreu you end up with nothing after the season.  I certainly don't think the FO is giving Jose a qualifying offer.

I think it will be trade or nothing and probably nothing.   I don't think that they've ever planned on re-signing him and nothing I've seen from Abreu this season would warrant reconsideration of that.   He hasn't hit much since the break.

Is there some legit Boston rumor?

Edited by GreenSox

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Matt Boyd is going to cost a lot more than a few guys in the 10 to 20 range.

You're probably right which is why I'd target Leake.   According to that link interest is low.  Leake is owed some money and the Sox won't have to give up much of anything to get him.  I'd assume that one of Rutherford or Basabe + an A ball lotto ticket would get it done.   That might even be too much depending on how much salary the Mariners want to eat.

Leake would slot in nicely as the 3rd or 4th starter the next two years.

Gio/Kopech/Leake/Cease/Rodon/Lopez/Dunning

Sign a FA like Cole and that rotation can kick one of Rodon/Lopez/Dunning to the curb or bullpen and things really are looking up.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

57 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're probably right which is why I'd target Leake.   According to that link interest is low.  Leake is owed some money and the Sox won't have to give up much of anything to get him.  I'd assume that one of Rutherford or Basabe + an A ball lotto ticket would get it done.   That might even be too much depending on how much salary the Mariners want to eat.

Leake would slot in nicely as the 3rd or 4th starter the next two years.

Gio/Kopech/Leake/Cease/Rodon/Lopez/Dunning

Sign a FA like Cole and that rotation can kick one of Rodon/Lopez/Dunning to the curb or bullpen and things really are looking up.

I've been on the Leake bandwagon for a while. Believe he has a NTC though. Plug him into the back of the rotation. Sign Cole in the off-season and go with Cole, Giolito, Cease, Leake, Lopez to open the year while Kopech rehabs in the minors. Evaluate if Lopez needs to go start in Triple-A or see how he does out of the pen when Kopech comes up.

Edited by soxfan2014

They Sox don't need to trade prospects for veteran pitchers....that's what  they did from 2014-16, and sporadically from 2001-2012 and it has a 100% failure rate.  100%.  The only time it arguably worked was the rent of Garcia for 1 year; but the rent wasn't the win..... signing him as a FA was the win.  That's what the Sox need to do.   And if you are going to do it, you certainly don't do it in July.

Or trade prospects for pitching prospects (perhaps closer to the majors prospects).

I'm not convinced trading guys like Bummer or Fry is really in order.  Yes relievers are volatile, but that's mostly true with the older guys.  These guys, esp Bummer, haven't reached their peak and we don't know what they have.  Based on prior returns, it's not really worth it.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

They Sox don't need to trade prospects for veteran pitchers....that's what  they did from 2014-16, and sporadically from 2001-2012 and it has a 100% failure rate.  100%.  The only time it arguably worked was the rent of Garcia for 1 year; but the rent wasn't the win..... signing him as a FA was the win.  That's what the Sox need to do.   And if you are going to do it, you certainly don't do it in July.

Or trade prospects for pitching prospects (perhaps closer to the majors prospects).

I'm not convinced trading guys like Bummer or Fry is really in order.  Yes relievers are volatile, but that's mostly true with the older guys.  These guys, esp Bummer, haven't reached their peak and we don't know what they have.  Based on prior returns, it's not really worth it.

They are not going to trade Bummer just because he is a reliever and fans think relievers are a dime a dozen. The guy is everything the White Sox stand for: young, controllable, affordable, cheap right now and has been effective. He's the kind of guy they are trying to acquire. Young players. Now Colome will be traded. Not Bummer tho.