The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA

Jose Abreu

I hope Zack took this time to start to learn what preparation/work it takes to be a big league catcher from McCann.  He also looked much better behind the plate than I thought he would from all I had read.  I'm also not ready to write him off offensively.  No reason to judge him too harshly with how he was being used.  

Castillo won’t be here next year.  Collins will.  And you aren’t getting anything for Castillo in a trade.  This move makes no sense but then again, nothing the Sox have done with Collins makes much sense.  They called him up to sit on the bench.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

One could try to argue that the Reed pickup is the reason for this move but Collins wasn’t playing much at all even before Reed was claimed.

But wasn’t that because all of the lefties they happened to face after he got called up? Seems to me that the plan was to back up McCann while getting some starts at DH in the process. Then a string of lefties happened to be on the bump against us, so he didn’t play much. Then, unexpectedly, a guy they’ve wanted for a while became available, and they decided they’d rather give the DH at bats to him (Reed). Just seems like a series of unfortunate circumstances for Collins. 

So much for the Collins is here to stay remarks that were said when he first got called up. We need to start our next phase of this rebuild and start playing some of the kids instead of the veterans who will not be on the roster in the next season or two. 

The way they deployed Collins was puzzling but once they picked up Reed and had Castillo rehabbing the writing was on the wall. I kind of get the feeling the Sox are trying to turn Collins into some sort of role player they can use in a flexible way. 

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

The way they deployed Collins was puzzling but once they picked up Reed and had Castillo rehabbing the writing was on the wall. I kind of get the feeling the Sox are trying to turn Collins into some sort of role player they can use in a flexible way. 

If nothing else, I think they told us how the view Collins going forward and that is as a not particularly useful player. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

If nothing else, I think they told us how the view Collins going forward and that is as a not particularly useful player. 

Yeah I mean they didn't prioritize him getting looks whatsoever and picked up a guy off the waiver wire that further diminished Collins' argument to play. The weird thing is everyone just kind of looks at Collins objectively and doesnt look at him as a catcher while I think the team's argument would be that Collins got valuable experience working alongside McCann.

At this point, Collins isn't going to be a featured part of the rebuild. If the Sox can turn him into a 3rd catcher/part time DH/part time 1B who hits dingers and takes walks playing 25-40% of that's a nice bench piece on a team full of right handed hitters. I have my doubts but it'd be a piece albeit an unconventional one. 

Renteria (perhaps by direction of the FO, idk) didn't give Collins a fair shot to hit and get comfortable at the plate. That said, what he did show in his short stint is that he has holes in his swing that pitchers didn't really need much of a book on to attack and exploit with great success. 

44 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah I mean they didn't prioritize him getting looks whatsoever and picked up a guy off the waiver wire that further diminished Collins' argument to play. The weird thing is everyone just kind of looks at Collins objectively and doesnt look at him as a catcher while I think the team's argument would be that Collins got valuable experience working alongside McCann.

At this point, Collins isn't going to be a featured part of the rebuild. If the Sox can turn him into a 3rd catcher/part time DH/part time 1B who hits dingers and takes walks playing 25-40% of that's a nice bench piece on a team full of right handed hitters. I have my doubts but it'd be a piece albeit an unconventional one. 

Renteria (perhaps by direction of the FO, idk) didn't give Collins a fair shot to hit and get comfortable at the plate. That said, what he did show in his short stint is that he has holes in his swing that pitchers didn't really need much of a book on to attack and exploit with great success. 

How can the Sox know this if they don't give him consistent playing time? Seems a bit premature to write him off after 30 mlb at bats. 

25 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

He doesn't look ready to me... all you have to do is throw him a fastball at the top of the strike zone and he gone.. easy out.

As my man Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs sings, "if you ain't ready now then baby you ain't ever gonna be". The Sox should be letting Collins play over a washed up cheater like Wellington Castillo. Hiding Collins down in AAA accomplishes nothing for the future of the rebuild. Let's see what the kid has during a tank year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

What are you talking about? It's clear now that Hahn used a tenth overall pick to find the backup catcher of the future! It's a move so brilliant and forward thinking that it's beyond our capability for comprehension! Don't doubt the Hahnster!

• Like 1

• Jose Abreu changed the title to The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA