The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA

Jose Abreu

9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

What are you talking about? It's clear now that Hahn used a tenth overall pick to find the backup catcher of the future! It's a move so brilliant and forward thinking that it's beyond our capability for comprehension! Don't doubt the Hahnster!

I think your greatly over estimating the value of a number ten pick. Getting a major leaguer period would be a good outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think your greatly over estimating the value of a number ten pick. Getting a major leaguer period would be a good outcome. 

Sure. IF they gave him 450 ABs in three consecutive seasons, and saw that he was a .220 hitter with decent enough LH power that he could hit a few bombs and do decently behind the plate, then maybe you decide to find something better and use him primarily as a backup.

But you don't plan that from the outset. We still don't even know what we have with Collins, because we brought him for a month and played him in nine games or so. Maybe he'll hit 25 home runs a year behind the plate or maybe he'll flunk out of the league. We still have NO idea.

28 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How can the Sox know this if they don't give him consistent playing time? Seems a bit premature to write him off after 30 mlb at bats. 

I dont think anyone is basing that off of 30 MLB at bats. He's a flawed player. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

There was a lot of talent in that 2016 draft class, especially on the prep side. Hostetler and company swung hard but missed badly on the first 3 picks from 16. 

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

He doesn't look ready to me... all you have to do is throw him a fastball at the top of the strike zone and he gone.. easy out.

I agree with this. Collins needs more regular at bats at AAA and work on his defeciancies 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Collins has a right to be pissed, he was badly misused and then a player from another organization was bumped ahead of him in line.

Or they completely misread his preparedness to hit/adjust at the next level.

Not much of a reward, at any rate.

Or maybe they just thought he needed some time to see the major leagues, get some game action, while learning how to work with pitchers, etc.  Development is a marathon vs. a sprint.  

Collins still has options in 2020 and 2021.  IF the Sox are still wanting to option Collins in 2022, he probably isn't a big leaguer.  I don't think the burning the option thing is something to be mad about in this particular scenario.  Not at all surprised to see pnoles go off on a tangent about that, though.  

The lack of playing time is puzzling, but clearly they weren't going to play him, and with Reed now in the fold as the lefty DH, sending Collins back to AAA to catch most days is the right thing to do when Castillo is activated.   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

So the Sox burn an option on Collins by bringing him up and start his service clock, then rarely play him and send him back down. 

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

He's 24 years old. If he needs all of his option years he's probably useless anyway. The month of service time is also unlikely to matter. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

He's 24 years old. If he needs all of his option years he's probably useless anyway. The month of service time is also unlikely to matter. 

His option was "burned" when he was sent to Charlotte in the spring. This call up had no bearing.  Service time, yes. But it's just a couple of weeks.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His option was "burned" when he was sent to Charlotte in the spring. This call up had no bearing.  

He wasn't on the 40 man then, you don’t burn an option unless you are rostered. 

Edited by mqr

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

So the Sox burn an option on Collins by bringing him up and start his service clock, then rarely play him and send him back down. 

As others have pointed out, it is extremely likely that the Sox no longer think much of the kid and he probably isn't in the rebuild plans. 

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

As others have pointed out, it is extremely likely that the Sox no longer think much of the kid and he probably isn't in the rebuild plans. 

I find that hard to believe. What was messed up was it wouldn't have taken much investigation to realize they would be facing so many lefties, so if they weren't going to play him much, call up someone else. They probably liked having him exposed to McCann, and he now probably has a better idea what he needs to work on with the bat even though expecting a rookie with a lot of swing and miss to be anything but a failure being used like he was is unrealistic. He was clearly set up to faIl. That should be unacceptable. 

He was also taking a lot of balls at 1B, so I imagine if AJ Reed wasn't acquired, there is a decent chance he stayed on the roster in that role as well as catching. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Didn't they use an option when they sent him to Charlotte after Spring Training and thus they can send him up and down as often as they want without using further options?

edit: never mind

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Now that I see Collins looked mad at the airport, this is starting to steam me. He gets brought up and hardly plays at all then they acquire Reed for no good reason except the Sox had to have had Reed on their trade radar at some point in the tank/rebuild.

Collins homered in his first at bat, didn't he? Instead of trying to ride that, they hardly play him at all. In another tank season, Sox should have had him get a couple months worth of at bats. He could split time with McCann and that'd be reasonable. Just release Beef or trade him for peanuts.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I find that hard to believe. What was messed up was it wouldn't have taken much investigation to realize they would be facing so many lefties, so if they weren't going to play him much, call up someone else. They probably liked having him exposed to McCann, and he now probably has a better idea what he needs to work on with the bat even though expecting a rookie with a lot of swing and miss to be anything but a failure being used like he was is unrealistic. He was clearly set up to faIl. That should be unacceptable. 

He was also taking a lot of balls at 1B, so I imagine if AJ Reed wasn't acquired, there is a decent chance he stayed on the roster in that role as well as catching. 

giphy.gif

• Jose Abreu changed the title to The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA