The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA

Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There's that magic injury prediction device again.

PTATC: As others who appear to know more about the draft than I do here at this site have been consistently saying Burdi was a reach to begin with for a first round pick.

But since you bring it up and since you are a trainer I'm sure you know about the procedures in place that some teams are using based on a series of data points to try to help "predict" if certain athletes are prone to future injuries. I've been reading about them in Sports Illustrated among other places. I wonder if the Sox have or use such new techniques?

And since you are alluding to the "luck" factor I remind you of Branch Rickey's famous comment on luck, "Luck is the residue of design..."

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

I am not taking any sides here but just for kicks I decided to look up the #10 pick for the 10 years prior to Collins.

2015 Cornelius Randolph...OF in AA

2014 Michael Conforto...OF for the Mets

2013 Phil Bickford...P in A+ ball

2012 David Dahl...OF for the Rockies

2011 Corey Spangenberg...2B recently DFA by Brewers organization

2010  Michael Choice...P in the Mexican League

2009 Drew Storen...P who is currently a free agent

2008 Jason Castro...C for the Twins

2007 Madison Bumgarner...P for the Giants

2006 Tim Lincecum...P currently listed as a free agent

What’s funny is that list is waaaaaay better than the results at #4, where people on here somehow claimed Madrigal wasn’t the type of talent you take at 4.  Which is a theory based on who knows...maybe taint + testes= boobs?  I dunno.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If this is indeed true (who knows for sure?) then that's another black mark on the drafting part of the front office. It would be another high first round pick that they missed on. How many mulligans does that group get before someone starts asking what is wrong? Fulmer, Collins, Burdi, Burger...

The guy who selected Fulmer is no longer running our drafts and hard to blame them for Burger’s fluky injury.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The guy who selected Fulmer is no longer running our drafts and hard to blame them for Burger’s fluky injury.

Well, no more so than if Zion Williamson blew out his Achilles playing 20-30 pounds overweight in the summer league.

Blame...maybe not, but it’s also not like there wasn’t a huge red flag the day he was drafted.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

it’s also not like there wasn’t a huge red flag the day he was drafted.

This is absolutely ridiculous. You really believe there was a huge red flag that Jake Burger was going to rupture his Achilles before he was even drafted? Serious man?

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

PTATC: As others who appear to know more about the draft than I do here at this site have been consistently saying Burdi was a reach to begin with for a first round pick.

But since you bring it up and since you are a trainer I'm sure you know about the procedures in place that some teams are using based on a series of data points to try to help "predict" if certain athletes are prone to future injuries. I've been reading about them in Sports Illustrated among other places. I wonder if the Sox have or use such new techniques?

And since you are alluding to the "luck" factor I remind you of Branch Rickey's famous comment on luck, "Luck is the residue of design..."

not alluding to luck at all. I'm talking about not faulting the FO on an injured draft pick.

Many people have tried over the years to predict injuries. There will never be any hard rules because people are different anatomically. We all have certain things to look at and have our biases. Like mine with Rodon. I said they day they drafted him and I watched his motion that i didn't like his follow through and it would lead to problems.  However, others have used it and not had problems. We can narrow it down to a few things but it will never be a strong causation/correlation. People will continue to look for the magic formula because it will make them rich in sports.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, caulfield12 said:

Well, no more so than if Zion Williamson blew out his Achilles playing 20-30 pounds overweight in the summer league.

Blame...maybe not, but it’s also not like there wasn’t a huge red flag the day he was drafted.

He didn't have a history of injury. And do you know what the number variable (as small as it is) to getting injured? a previous injury.

Edited by ptatc
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

not alluding to luck at all. I'm talking about not faulting the FO on an injured draft pick.

Many people have tried over the years to predict injuries. There will never be any hard rules because people are different anatomically. We all have certain things to look at and have our biases. Like mine with Rodon. I said they day they drafted him and I watched his motion that i didn't like his follow through and it would lead to problems.  However, others have used it and not had problems. We can narrow it down to a few things but it will never be a strong causation/correlation. People will continue to look for the magic formula because it will make them rich in sports.

And for those that are going to blame on that side, there is always the fact that the Sox were more comfortable with Christopher Sale's delivery than others and were able to land a guy who is a likely HOFer because of it.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

And for those that are going to blame on that side, there is always the fact that the Sox were more comfortable with Christopher Sale's delivery than others and were able to land a guy who is a likely HOFer because of it.  

He’s not home free yet for the HoF...

• Jose Abreu changed the title to The rumors were (partially) true: Collins to AAA
10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Sale was often criticized for his "sure to cause injury" violent motion.

52 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

How many extra tickets do you think will be sold on Monday for the return of Beef?

Use the discount code "beef" for a voucher for a free hot dog at the game *

*not valid for the purchase of kosher dogs or the good dogs with the grilled onions at the carts

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Richie said:

Good. Collins has a lot to work on and can't do that with the White Sox. He needs to retool his swing and get as many PA's as he can before we see him back in a month and a half. 

I thought this cat was supposed to have one of the most advanced bats in his draft class? I'm not sure that 6 weeks in Charlotte is gonna be the cure for what ails him.