2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

"We'll need Colome and Bummer next year when we plan on competing" can easily turn into "these guys suck" next summer.  (with the way RP's that might even be likely)  Never hesitate to sell high on a relief pitcher, unless his name begins with M and ends with Ariano Rivera.

7 minutes ago, RTC said:

"We'll need Colome and Bummer next year when we plan on competing" can easily turn into "these guys suck" next summer.  (with the way RP's that might even be likely)  Never hesitate to sell high on a relief pitcher, unless his name begins with M and ends with Ariano Rivera.

I've changed my mind on Colome, I think he's been pitching way above his head so let's sell high. Bummer I wouldn't trade unless it's someone you're confident can help you win baseball games in 2020, or a package of prospects you think you can flip for starter/RF help. 

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I've changed my mind on Colome, I think he's been pitching way above his head so let's sell high. Bummer I wouldn't trade unless it's someone you're confident can help you win baseball games in 2020, or a package of prospects you think you can flip for starter/RF help. 

I can see the argument either way on Bummer.  To me, trading Colome is a no brainer.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sell high on a young controllable reliever with a 98 mph sinker?

When you're a seller, you always sell high on guys like Aaron Bummer. Relievers are incredibly volatile from season to season. Not trading Fry last year was a huge mistake. 

• Like 1

Again, I'm a fan of trading relievers that are pitching over their heads and having elite years.  There's so much more value to be had than a closer on a sub-500/500 team, especially in our situation.  That's why you deal both Bummer and Colome. I think you deal Bummer prior to Colome because I don't think he keeps it up for much longer, but that's just my opinion.  Both of them can net you a pretty solid package and can provide more value & substance than a LHMRP & a reliable Closer on a transitioning team.  Relievers always seem to develop out of the blue.... Look at 05... Some how Neal Cotts was elite (albeit had 1 more elite year with Texas & 1 ok year with MKE, otherwise terrible) & Cliff Politte (elite that year as well)... Tommy Kahnle is the only one we may have gotten burned (may not have since he goes up, down, up with his consistency years?) on, but the success far outweighs the benefit of keeping them on a non-playoff team this year.... We started finally cashing in on relievers pitching above their heads last year with Cedeno & Soria.  Keep it up.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When you're a seller, you always sell high on guys like Aaron Bummer. Relievers are incredibly volatile from season to season. Not trading Fry last year was a huge mistake

Yep, this is why you ALWAYS deal them, especially in our situation. More substance to be had than keeping a LHRP having a career year.  I guess in Fry's case, a career year through 90 games.

Edited by Soxnfins

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When you're a seller, you always sell high on guys like Aaron Bummer. Relievers are incredibly volatile from season to season. Not trading Fry last year was a huge mistake. 

What do you think you're getting for Bummer that would be more worthwhile than riding it out? The odds are slim. 

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

What do you think you're getting for Bummer that would be more worthwhile than riding it out? The odds are slim. 

If you can get a guy like Jesus Sanchez for Bummer like the OP suggested, you do that 10x out of ten.  

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you can get a guy like Jesus Sanchez for Bummer like the OP suggested, you do that 10x out of ten.  

Agreed. I'm just not sure that's at all realistic is my point. There seems to be an idea floating around that you sell just to sell when you're, well, a seller. You absolutely do not HAVE to trade bummer. 

Edited by mqr

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

If you can pair him with Colome, and get a prospect like May you do it. Tommy Kahnle got Rutherford, who was a top 50 prospect at the time.

I look at that trade as two different ones: 

Salary relief and Kahnle for Rutherford. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

I do like targeting the Rays as trade partners and Sanchez would be a great get but maybe if we broadened the deal...something like Bummer, Colome (ex-Ray) and Jay for Sanchez and McClanahan, it would be more interesting to Rays and much more intrigueing for WS

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you can pair him with Colome, and get a prospect like May you do it. Tommy Kahnle got Rutherford, who was a top 50 prospect at the time.

I look at that trade as two different ones: 

Salary relief and Kahnle for Rutherford. 

Agreed. I'm also fairly confident this is unrealistic as well. 

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

Agreed. I'm just not sure that's at all realistic is my point. There seems to be an idea floating around that you sell just to sell when you're, well, a seller. You absolutely do not HAVE to trade bummer. 

I don't trust Rick Hahn in these kind of trades. Tommy Kahnle bounced back and is having a real nice year for the Yankees. Blake Rutherford has a sub 700 OPS in AA and will likely never play a game in the bigs. 

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

I do like targeting the Rays as trade partners and Sanchez would be a great get but maybe if we broadened the deal...something like Bummer, Colome (ex-Ray) and Jay for Sanchez and McClanahan, it would be more interesting to Rays and much more intrigueing for WS

No way the Rays deal Jesus Sanchez for Aaron Bummer. I think we need to reconsider the trade value of Colome and Bummer big time. There is value between them, but not a top 50 guy.