2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you can pair him with Colome, and get a prospect like May you do it. Tommy Kahnle got Rutherford, who was a top 50 prospect at the time.

I look at that trade as two different ones: 

Salary relief and Kahnle for Rutherford. 

I'm glad someone finally understands that trade was not Robertson for Rutherford 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

This. is. not. going. to. happen! Bummer would have been traded yesterday if the Sox had an offer of a top 30 guy for him. 

If The Braves were going to trade Waters, it would be part of a package for a mid rotation or better starting pitcher, not a pen arm like Bummer. 

Expectations are way out of whack right now I feel

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't trust Rick Hahn in these kind of trades. Tommy Kahnle bounced back and is having a real nice year for the Yankees. Blake Rutherford has a sub 700 OPS in AA and will likely never play a game in the bigs. 

You're right.  We should write off a guy playing a year and half over his age level with a 348/385/472/857 line over the last month. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How is it too late to get Greinke? 

How could Greinke ever classify as an inning eater? He's a top 10 pitcher in baseball who has shown the ability to pitch and succeed at 90 MPH.

It’s too late because he’s 35 and we aren’t close to be a championship contending team. 

Innings eater probably isn’t the correct term, but I just don’t see the point in acquiring an old, expensive starter on a mediocre team. It’s not going to change anything. I wouldn’t be upset if we do, because it’s not my $, but it wouldn’t be a smart team building move in my opinion. Especially with a cheap owner that is already hesitant to pay free agents.

2 minutes ago, RTC said:

You're right.  We should write off a guy playing a year and half over his age level with a 348/385/472/857 line over the last month. 

I'm not saying to write him off yet but what i said about him playing in the bigs is accurate. There is a very real chance it never happens. Rutherford needs to get off the Spencer Adams trajectory pronto. 

8 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Haha people keep saying these guys aren't worth what is being proposed but I feel like we keep both relievers unless we get a sweet deal for highly rated guys close to the majors

Yeah most of the disagreement seems to be about what they're actually worth. 

22 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It’s too late because he’s 35 and we aren’t close to be a championship contending team. 

Innings eater probably isn’t the correct term, but I just don’t see the point in acquiring an old, expensive starter on a mediocre team. It’s not going to change anything. I wouldn’t be upset if we do, because it’s not my $, but it wouldn’t be a smart team building move in my opinion. Especially with a cheap owner that is already hesitant to pay free agents.

Agree on Grienke. The Sox would only have him for 2020 and 2021. 

2020 is hopefully the last of the developmental/tank years. The Sox should be competitive in 2021 but Grienke will be 37 by then. 

Trade for somebody younger with more team control or just pony up for 5 years of Gerrit Cole.  

3 hours ago, bjm676 said:

They need to sell high on Bummer, before his arm fall off or he returns back to earth.

They control him for 5 more years; he's coming into his own.  The one to sell high on is Colome.  They bought high on him, not mitigate that price and sell high.

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Agree on Grienke. The Sox would only have him for 2020 and 2021. 

2020 is hopefully the last of the developmental/tank years. The Sox should be competitive in 2021 but Grienke will be 37 by then. 

Trade for somebody younger with more team control or just pony up for 5 years of Gerrit Cole.  

A three year window isn’t what we were promised...that means more rebuilding than sustained winning. 

Because that’s how long before Moncada and Giolito are gone.

Nova, Herrera, Colome and Castillo are the biggest current contracts after Abreu, pretty pathetic....so they obviously have to invest that money into extensions and free agency.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A three year window isn’t what we were promised...that means more rebuilding than sustained winning. 

Nova, Herrera, Colome and Castillo are the biggest current contracts after Abreu, pretty pathetic....so they obviously have to invest that money into extensions and free agency.

I told everyone that if the young players go through any sort of growing pains, this was going to look a lot like Kansas City's window. 

I just hope that they're smart enough to learn from KC's mistake of not selling off their guys in their walk year. 

The Sox have a chance of extending it if they trade Giolito and Moncada, and anyone they sign this offseason in in the 2022-23 offseason for MLB ready pieces. 

They can extend a few years by adding those guys to an existing core of Kopech, Cease, Robert and others(hopefully Vaughn and Madrigal) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Greinke is not going to cost "more than Rutherford" given his contract obligations and the DBacks current position.

Shouldn't....  But based on the prices for Edwin Jackson, Liriano and Shields, all of whom were salary dumps, I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by GreenSox

Sox simply are not going to trade Colome or Bummer if the return isn't strong.  There is no reason to.  Same thing for Leury. 

Guys like Nova, Jay, Castillo, even Herrera if someone is crazy enough to think he'll rebound, I assume will be moved for salary relief or low level lottery tickets if that is offered.  Maybe Yolmer is in that category now as well at this point.  

McCann is an interesting one.  Sox clearly love him - but if someone wants to pay up for his current production, you definitely have to consider moving him.  

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Promised? As White Sox fans we aren't promised anything. 

The only one who was promised anything in this rebuild was JR. He gutted the payroll and is soaking up the profits. 

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Anyone interested in Inciarte as a buy-low option? I imagine some other rebuilding team would be more likely though.

Not sure the Sox have the pieces to get a deal done for him. Why would Atlanta trade him anyways? Isn't he under team control for like 4/5 more years? 

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I told everyone that if the young players go through any sort of growing pains, this was going to look a lot like Kansas City's window. 

I just hope that they're smart enough to learn from KC's mistake of not selling off their guys in their walk year. 

The Sox have a chance of extending it if they trade Giolito and Moncada, and anyone they sign this offseason in in the 2022-23 offseason for MLB ready pieces. 

They can extend a few years by adding those guys to an existing core of Kopech, Cease, Robert and others(hopefully Vaughn and Madrigal) 

The problem then is that trading Hosmer, Gordon, Cain, Moustakas, Perez...would have completely alienated their fanbase.  Hindsight is always 20/20, it’s the same reason we held onto the likes of Contreras and the 2005 remnants all the way through 2012.  Letting go is hard, for fans and owners alike.

KC clearly attempted to hold on one year too long (2017), but it was not meant to be due to untimely injuries, their bullpen hegemony  finally dissolving, and perhaps the most critical, the untimely death of Yordano Ventura.

Signing Gordon to that contract (which he hasn’t lived up to at all until this year) hasn’t helped, either.

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Not sure the Sox have the pieces to get a deal done for him. Why would Atlanta trade him anyways? Isn't he under team control for like 4/5 more years? 

He's signed for 2 more, option for a third. They're OF is filled with Riley, Acuna, and Markakis and in 40 games, Inciarte has been bad this year.

Granted, Donaldson is only on a one year deal and Riley can move back to 3B full-time.

Edited by soxfan2014

The Padres have Margot, Cordero, Myers (benched, bad contract again), Jankowski, Renfroe and Reyes.

They’re a good potential trade partner, but I just shudder to think what low minor leaguer we’ll give away to take on Myers’ contract...and if they would eat roughly half of it.

Josh Naylor is more of a DH, masquerading as a first baseman/corner outfielder.

All seven of those guys have pluses and minuses, but would be better starting options than Cordell/Tilson for a variety of reasons.

Edited by caulfield12