2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem then is that trading Hosmer, Gordon, Cain, Moustakas, Perez...would have completely alienated their fanbase.  Hindsight is always 20/20, it’s the same reason we held onto the likes of Contreras and the 2005 remnants all the way through 2012.  Letting go is hard, for fans and owners alike.

KC clearly attempted to hold on one year too long (2017), but it was not meant to be due to untimely injuries, their bullpen hegemony  finally dissolving, and perhaps the most critical, the untimely death of Yordano Ventura.

Signing Gordon to that contract (which he hasn’t lived up to at all until this year) hasn’t helped, either.

It would be really nice if the Sox would sign some of their own guys out of this rebuild. But, as long as current ownership is in place, I'm highly skeptical. I can't help but think that if Frank Thomas were 5 years younger, that he wouldn't have been re-signed either. He might have been a special case where because he was a 1B/DH, it allowed the Sox to keep him. 

I really wish the Sox would quit operating like they play in a small market, and instead act like a mid-market team. I don't think they can afford to be the Dodgers/Cubs/Sawx/Yankees, but I do think they could behave like the Cardinals. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It would be really nice if the Sox would sign some of their own guys out of this rebuild. But, as long as current ownership is in place, I'm highly skeptical. I can't help but think that if Frank Thomas were 5 years younger, that he wouldn't have been re-signed either. He might have been a special case where because he was a 1B/DH, it allowed the Sox to keep him. 

I really wish the Sox would quit operating like they play in a small market, and instead act like a mid-market team. I don't think they can afford to be the Dodgers/Cubs/Sawx/Yankees, but I do think they could behave like the Cardinals. 

Take a deep breath and relax. They just signed Eloy to a huge deal before the season. There’s been no reason to extend anyone else.

Cardinals are said to be willing to trade a young OF’er...I wouldn’t hate taking a gamble on Harrison Bader as long as the price isn’t high. 

Dustin Fowler is still wasting away hitting well in AAA for the A’s

Although he doesn’t fit best position wise...Travis Shaw seems like he could/should be on a roster somewhere 

Derek Fisher needs a shot that he will likely never get with the stros. 

I’d check in on Willie Calhoun’s availability with the rangers 

Same with Ryan McMahon from the Rockies 

Just a few names I’d check in on to see the availability. I’m all for fishing for reclamation projects/giving guys their 1st real opportunity. At this point we really don’t have a whole lot of ?’s on the 40 man roster that we haven’t already figured out aren’t starting quality players...or anywhere close 

I would assume we'll trade Colome soon. If a team is desperate for a bullpen piece I would think Hahn might make a deal for him that Sox fans think is special. If a team is desperate I'd think we could get 2 of their above average prospects.

I think you guys overvalue Bummer. He's the dime a dozen guy (never a highly regarded prospect looking very good right now) who we'll keep. Jose? I mean I worship the guy, but what team desperately needs a first baseman/DH? I haven't studied it but don't most "contenders" have first basemen/DH aplenty? Especially AL teams and Jose isn't known for defense. He could cost an NL team dearly with bad defense in the playoffs. Even those on here desperate to flip Jose can't be addicted to flipping so much they want some bums back for Jose. That's just downright weird.

I'm speaking as a flip fanatic which I am not. But speaking for you guys, I'd think realistically you'd want to dump Colome and McCann (does any team have an emergency need at catcher?). And just release Jay and Nova. Virtually nobody wants those guys IMO. And release Yolmer. Nobody will want him and it's time to get the new blood some at bats since we are tanking again.

I really feel like the only guys of any "flip" value are Colome (for nothing too special) and possibly McCann (if a team needs a catcher). Surprised the flip people haven't been clamoring to dump McCann (before he comes down to earth, which the flip people like to say). McCann, however, is sort of beloved on here, much moreso than my idol, Abreu for instance.

Edited by greg775

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Take a deep breath and relax. They just signed Eloy to a huge deal before the season. There’s been no reason to extend anyone else.

Not yet, but I fear they won't do so when the time comes. I also fear that they're going to attempt to fill out the rotation through the system or dumpster diving. 

5 hours ago, Flash said:

Or as a sweetener in a multi-player deal. Rays can use him. He would step in as starting RF'r.

Jay wouldn’t even be on the Rays MLB roster, so talk of him being a starter is a major stretch. 

Sanchez is the next starting RF for the Rays when someone overpays Garcia this winter. TB just got rid of Colome last year, I highly doubt they bring him back for half a year and give up a top prospect. 

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not yet, but I fear they won't do so when the time comes. I also fear that they're going to attempt to fill out the rotation through the system or dumpster diving. 

Nobody can extend everyone, that's fine. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I would assume we'll trade Colome soon. If a team is desperate for a bullpen piece I would think Hahn might make a deal for him that Sox fans think is special. If a team is desperate I'd think we could get 2 of their above average prospects.

I think you guys overvalue Bummer. He's the dime a dozen guy (never a highly regarded prospect looking very good right now) who we'll keep. Jose? I mean I worship the guy, but what team desperately needs a first baseman/DH? I haven't studied it but don't most "contenders" have first basemen/DH aplenty? Especially AL teams and Jose isn't known for defense. He could cost an NL team dearly with bad defense in the playoffs. Even those on here desperate to flip Jose can't be addicted to flipping so much they want some bums back for Jose. That's just downright weird.

I'm speaking as a flip fanatic which I am not. But speaking for you guys, I'd think realistically you'd want to dump Colome and McCann (does any team have an emergency need at catcher?). And just release Jay and Nova. Virtually nobody wants those guys IMO. And release Yolmer. Nobody will want him and it's time to get the new blood some at bats since we are tanking again.

I really feel like the only guys of any "flip" value are Colome (for nothing too special) and possibly McCann (if a team needs a catcher). Surprised the flip people haven't been clamoring to dump McCann (before he comes down to earth, which the flip people like to say). McCann, however, is sort of beloved on here, much moreso than my idol, Abreu for instance.

Holy shit, did you actually just write all this non-sense?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I’m surprised you don’t fear the team jet going down, because that’s the only part of Murphy’s Law you’re missing.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well of course not. The interesting decision will be Moncada, Robert or neither. 

Hard to say, because it’s two totally separate decision points. A lot of decisions will have to be made from 2024-2026, and that’s honestly not a bad a thing

Edited by mqr

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Holy shit, did you actually just write all this non-sense?

Are you one of those guys who thinks you have the only right opinion? See if I'm right. They'll trade Colome and McCann and that's it. You think Bummer is special? Let me tell you something. He's the perfect White Sox player. Under control, makes no money. There's absolutely no reason to flip him in the Sox minds. Jay and Nova? You don't agree they should just be DFA'ed? I don't know who made you so mighty you can insult me as you just did. I'll do you a favor. I'm blocking you now so hopefully we won't run into each other's posts anymore. As long as I can figure the ignore function. Adios.

45 minutes ago, zenryan said:

Jay wouldn’t even be on the Rays MLB roster, so talk of him being a starter is a major stretch. 

Sanchez is the next starting RF for the Rays when someone overpays Garcia this winter. TB just got rid of Colome last year, I highly doubt they bring him back for half a year and give up a top prospect. 

I assume he means the pitcher?

42 minutes ago, zenryan said:

Austin Meadows is currently playing RF for them and I’m not sure they’re going to uproot him for Jesus Sanchez despite how talented he is.  

And the proposal was for Bummer not Colome.  An analytics savvy organization that also has to be cost conscious may place a high value on him.

We don't really have many great tradeable assets but I think we package Colome and Fry or Bummer together for a nice piece.

If anybody wants Leury or Abreu I'd be fine with it.  The rest of the stuff we have is trash.

Also I'm listening on McCann if we get an Eaton like return then yeah you do that all day.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Are you one of those guys who thinks you have the only right opinion? See if I'm right. They'll trade Colome and McCann and that's it. You think Bummer is special? Let me tell you something. He's the perfect White Sox player. Under control, makes no money. There's absolutely no reason to flip him in the Sox minds. Jay and Nova? You don't agree they should just be DFA'ed? I don't know who made you so mighty you can insult me as you just did. I'll do you a favor. I'm blocking you now so hopefully we won't run into each other's posts anymore. As long as I can figure the ignore function. Adios.

No I don’t...I just find your take to be insulting, ignorant, & contradicting.  And in regards to Bummer being a “dime a dozen” arm just flat out wrong.  The kid was going to be a key piece in a trade for Joc Pederson and has only gotten better this season.  Young, controllable left-handed relievers with plus stuff are typically worth quite a bit.  The only thing holding back Bumner’s value potentially is a lack of track record.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We don't really have many great tradeable assets but I think we package Colome and Fry or Bummer together for a nice piece.

If anybody wants Leury or Abreu I'd be fine with it.  The rest of the stuff we have is trash.

Also I'm listening on McCann if we get an Eaton like return then yeah you do that all day.

If we get an Eaton like return for McCann, that other team would be better off selecting a SoxTalk member to be their GM

• Thanks 1

I don’t feel like I have a pulse at all on this market, what returns will be and what Sox should do. I wouldn’t be offended if they sat out. I really worry about over paying for control at the deadline.