2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

No offense, but if you are a contender there have to be better options than trading a real prospect, a can't miss, to Chicago for Colome, a guy who we acquired for just Narvaez. This year we truly are overvaluing our guys. Picture yourself as a GM. You don't acquire Bummer and Colome for a stud. Not to mention my prediction Bummer is somebody the Sox have no reason to deal. Too young for the flip mania.

Bummer and Colome would definitely net a top 50 prospect.  Colome has been good and Bummer has been great and between them would still have 6 years of control left.

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does anyone else think that the AJ Reed pickup might be telegraphing that despite what they say in the media, Abreu isn't coming back in 2020? 

No. Taking a flier on a guy they've liked and seeing what he looks like up close. Nothing more imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

No. Taking a flier on a guy they've liked and seeing what he looks like up close. Nothing more imo.

I just don't see where Abreu fits between Vaughn, Collins and Reed, not to mention that Eloy might need to be given a 1B mitt. They have a metric shit ton of 1B/DH profile hitters. That alone might push Abreu out sooner rather than later. Unless Abreu is willing to take a cheap deal (10M or less) to stick around I don't see how or why he fits in. I get that the Cuban guys are tight, but.....You're blocking 2 T10 picks with him right now. You have to see what you have in Collins sooner or later. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does anyone else think that the AJ Reed pickup might be telegraphing that despite what they say in the media, Abreu isn't coming back in 2020? 

Not at all.  I think he’s around because we still need a placeholder at 1B/DH until Vaughn is ready (even if we bring back Abreu).

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just don't see where Abreu fits between Vaughn, Collins and Reed, not to mention that Eloy might need to be given a 1B mitt. They have a metric shit ton of 1B/DH profile hitters. That alone might push Abreu out sooner rather than later. Unless Abreu is willing to take a cheap deal (10M or less) to stick around I don't see how or why he fits in. I get that the Cuban guys are tight, but.....You're blocking 2 T10 picks with him right now. You have to see what you have in Collins sooner or later. 

They aren’t moving Eloy to 1B (or DH) anytime soon, they seem committed to Collins at catcher, and Reed is nothing more than a flier.  Vaughn is the future at 1B, but after that I’d say Sheets is the most likely to contribute at 1B/DH and we have some time with him.  Giving Abreu a 2/$25M extension makes a ton of sense IMO.

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not to mention Sheets...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

For 2020? Abreu definitely fits. After that and long-term? Not really. I do think they should roll with Abreu/Collins at 1B/DH (with Collins getting a start or 2 behind the plate each week) and carrying a versatile 3rd catcher like Swihart on the bench next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

For 2020? Abreu definitely fits. After that and long-term? Not really. I do think they should roll with Abreu/Collins at 1B/DH (with Collins getting a start or 2 behind the plate each week) and carrying a versatile 3rd catcher like Swihart on the bench next year.

I'm not even sure he fits in 2020. 

Vaughn should be up by 2020 for 1B and there is definitely going to be better DH options than Abreu either internally or FA.  I would prefer we didn't have a set in stone DH and just rotate guys so we have more versatility. 

Edited by BackDoorBreach

9 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Vaughn should be up by 2020 for 1B and there is definitely going to be better DH options than Abreu either internally or FA.  I would prefer we didn't have a set in stone DH and just rotate guys so we have more versatility. 

I also prefer to rotate guys in DH so as to use the whole roster for versatility.  A permanent DH works when you have a Frank Thomas but there aren't many of those.

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not even sure he fits in 2020. 

He’s more of a fit than not. His influence and leadership he can provide to Robert alone in his first year will be worth it alone. Eloy and Moncada have both praised Abreu this year for helping them make the transition. He can stay in the same role he’s in this year as a 1B/DH, until Vaughn challenges him most likely in 2021. Plus if I’m not mistaken, rosters will be up to 26 starting next year, so it’s not a waste of a roster space. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He’s more of a fit than not. His influence and leadership he can provide to Robert alone in his first year will be worth it alone. Eloy and Moncada have both praised Abreu this year for helping them make the transition. 

It's not cool to consider those types of contributions anymore. It's all about the advanced stats, baby. Jose is old and unproductive don't ya know?

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's not cool to consider those types of contributions anymore. It's all about the advanced stats, baby. Jose is old and unproductive don't ya know?

It's a business decision.  I don't want the Sox overpaying for any of our players.  Teams need to run a good financial shop in order to have the money when needed to keep or acquire desirable players.  It's why fans get upset with the apparent Alonso miss steps.   Jose has a talent level that I would place in the 12-14 million range.  I certainly would not pay another 4 or 5 million for some intangibles like mentoring.  

Certainly not worth starting a new thread so putting it here, but the Rays DFA'd Ian Gibaut today.  Interesting youngish relief arm that appears to have just been a causality of 40 man roster crunch.  Surprised to see Rays DFA him, so perhaps they have a trade lined up for him.  If not, doubt he'd make to the Sox in the waiver order, but if he does, they should definitely pounce. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Certainly not worth starting a new thread so putting it here, but the Rays DFA'd Ian Gibaut today.  Interesting youngish relief arm that appears to have just been a causality of 40 man roster crunch.  Surprised to see Rays DFA him, so perhaps they have a trade lined up for him.  If not, doubt he'd make to the Sox in the waiver order, but if he does, they should definitely pounce. 

Agreed. Someone is going to grab him.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:47 AM, poppysox said:

I also prefer to rotate guys in DH so as to use the whole roster for versatility.  A permanent DH works when you have a Frank Thomas but there aren't many of those.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

Vaughn should be up by 2020 for 1B and there is definitely going to be better DH options than Abreu either internally or FA.  I would prefer we didn't have a set in stone DH and just rotate guys so we have more versatility

Mark Kotsay 2.0 ..... Ozzie, is that you?

Random thought for lack of a better place to put it:

Given the single trade deadline and GM's needing to think a little more about roster depth and what they "might" need in September, I wonder if an uber-versatile guy like Leury might be more valuable than he would have been in the past.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

I highly doubt Vaughn would be called up anytime in 2020. 

Best case scenario would be he plays well in the AFL this year, starts 2020 in AA ball, getting a promotion in June/July to AAA, plays in AAA and gets a callup mid-late April 2021. 

Unless a player is on a pure superstar trajectory, you cannot get through the minors a whole lot faster than the above^

9 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I highly doubt Vaughn would be called up anytime in 2020. 

Best case scenario would be he plays well in the AFL this year, starts 2020 in AA ball, getting a promotion in June/July to AAA, plays in AAA and gets a callup mid-late April 2021. 

Unless a player is on a pure superstar trajectory, you cannot get through the minors a whole lot faster than the above^

Luis Robert has destroyed 3 levels of the minors this year and is a CF.  The only reason he has not been called up is to manipulate his time in a non-competitive year.  If we are hanging around a WC spot next year I would not be suprised to see Vaughn up early August since all he has to really do is hit.

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Luis Robert has destroyed 3 levels of the minors this year and is a CF.  The only reason he has not been called up is to manipulate his time in a non-competitive year.  If we are hanging around a WC spot next year I would not be suprised to see Vaughn up early August since all he has to really do is hit.

He also has, in theory, a lot fewer questions to answer than Robert did before this year. I wouldn't bank on it, but 2020 is in the cards for Vaughn I believe. 

Edited by mqr

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Mark Kotsay is probably my least favorite Sox player in recent memory. Didn't help that Jim Thome continued being a great hitter and some people tried to handwave his contributions by saying that he was a 'baseclogger' and we were better off without him. 🤣

Ugghhh...I had successfully forgotten he was ever on the White Sox....Not any more.  Thanks for nothing German. :huh: