2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

I'm a big fan of the "combo" trades, where multiple players are traded in the same deal to increase the quality of the return.  The results haven't been great with Blake Rutherford so far, but I loved how Hahn was willing to package all of Robertson, Kahnle, and Frazier together to get the best player possible back, rather than trading them separately to get a greater quantity of players, but lesser quality.  I'm hoping for the same this trade deadline.  If Hahn can get a group of prospects headlined by a top 50 guy by packaging Colome, one of Bummer/Fry, and one of Leury/Jay, I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Mark Kotsay is probably my least favorite Sox player in recent memory. Didn't help that Jim Thome continued being a great hitter and some people tried to handwave his contributions by saying that he was a 'baseclogger' and we were better off without him. 🤣

Adam LaRoche will always have my vote for least favorite Sox player.  Could not stand the guy.

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm a big fan of the "combo" trades, where multiple players are traded in the same deal to increase the quality of the return.  The results haven't been great with Blake Rutherford so far, but I loved how Hahn was willing to package all of Robertson, Kahnle, and Frazier together to get the best player possible back, rather than trading them separately to get a greater quantity of players, but lesser quality.  I'm hoping for the same this trade deadline.  If Hahn can get a group of prospects headlined by a top 50 guy by packaging Colome, one of Bummer/Fry, and one of Leury/Jay, I'm all for it.

Lets not kid ourselves, a big part of that trade was the Yankees eating the remainder of Robertson and Frazier's contract. Sox were able to dump over $20 million in salary I believe

42 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Adam LaRoche will always have my vote for least favorite Sox player.  Could not stand the guy.

David Wells is mine.  I know that it has been said that he helped Mark Buehrle, but Wells just came off as a real jerk. 

Edited by wegner

1 hour ago, Pal said:

How about Collins, Jay, Colome, and Bummer for Contreras? Cubs need a lefty and a lead off type. Throw in Collins, give them Colome to have a super bullpen.

Contreras is one of, if not the best offensive catchers in baseball.  This is in no way realistic lol.  The Cubs need a slugging OF, Jay is not that.

Here are my predictions

Colome to the phillies for RHP Spencer Howard & OF Mickey Moniak*.

Abreu to the red sox for LHP Darwinzon Hernandez.

Nova and $$ to the angels for LHP Hector Yan.

4 hours ago, Pal said:

Abreu has to be going somewhere. Why else wouldn't he have been extended yet?

I don't think that means anything. They can talk this off-season. And maybe it depends on what they do with Vaughn, and what their projection for him is after this season ends.

As for the trading deadline, I know it's boring, but I'm expecting little to nothing from the Sox. I think they will already have next year in mind, and probably won't get good enough offers on their guys to make it worth biting on. They don't need to keep trading for tweeners like Cordell and Tilson anymore. They do no good for us.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sox should at least inquire...

Szymborski brought this question up, Would you trade Kopech and like a C prospect for Syndergaard. I thought no chance at first, but now I'm not so sure the more I think about it. 

I'd say probably not, but I'm not slamming the phone.

Edited by mqr

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sox should at least inquire...

Yes they should.  Sox need to be doing due diligence on every SP on the market this summer.  It's a buyer's market.

@mqr I don't know if Noah is good enough to make that deal but man I'd consider it.  I'd probably want it to come with an extension for Noah so we have cost certainty.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Szymborski brought this question up, Would you trade Kopech and like a C prospect for Syndergaard. I thought no chance at first, but now I'm not so sure the more I think about it. 

I'd say probably not, but I'm not slamming the phone.

Yes, wouldn't really think twice. It would likely be Kopech plus someone that hurts a bit.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes, wouldn't really think twice. It would likely be Kopech plus someone that hurts a bit.

You'd have to be really confident about your ability to add a RF, and really consider calling Robert up ASAP.

I don't think you could make a call either way with out intimate knowledge of their plan. 

The reason I'd want to make a Thor for Kopech trade is because I have no faith that the White Sox will go out and sign a top of the rotation starter like @Tony properly states is necessary. However, the main reason I'd want to not do the trade is because I don't have faith that the White Sox would competently fill the rest of the roster out to fully compete starting next year.

Basically the White Sox have broken me and that's why default on anything that isn't trading Colome is just to hold off.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Szymborski brought this question up, Would you trade Kopech and like a C prospect for Syndergaard.

Sox are in no position to be trading top prospects for 2 year players.  They aren't in a position to win next year.   That is simply not a serious effort.

Unless one enjoyed 2014-16, then by all means, hit it.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1