2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

On 7/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Hard pass on trading any top prospects for pitching. Plenty of pitching on the FA market and all you have to do is pay them. So stupid to trade Cease or Kopech for pitching.

this. Both of them are untouchable IMO. Makes zero sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wanne said:

Has everybody cooled on Joc Pederson?  Sounds like it's not a bad time to reach out to LA for him if they're looking for relievers.

Quite the contrary, just don't think that same trade will work since it didn't before.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yeah those aren’t realistic unfortunately

I tried to be pretty conservative there. There is one guy on a T100 list and he's in the 90s. If they can't even get that type of deal then they aren't worth trading. They have more value to the Sox than any other team in that case. Also, I'm not willing to trade anything other than reclamation projects for Mazara. They shouldn't be trading their top chips for Cordell/Medeiros types. If you're wondering why nothing has happened, it is because teams aren't offering anything of value. Either offer something of value or beat it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

43 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I would think that the trade deadline will be pushed back to August 15th starting next year or year after.

To me, it should always be a Wednesday night with 7.5 weeks left in the season.  That would leave about 50 games left in the season. Enough to acquire a starting pitcher and he has 10 starts with a new team.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

obvs red sox now reported out but if they really are dangling benintendi for a controllable closer not having a particularly good year, then sox really should inquire.

Mhmmm.  Brought this up weeks ago, but give them Colome, Bummer and Leury.  Shit throw in a prospect in the 10-15 range.  Its not going to happen, but it actually makes some sense seeing as though Boston needs bullpen help bad.  

Looking ahead at our projected lineup we really only have right field and maybe catcher to fill. I know I know there are no guarantees but any trade we make should be for pitching in return and hope we get lucky with what comes back. Also I would not trade Bummer or Fry unless we get our socks knocked off in a deal. Not saying both of them will be good but going forward we have a minor league full of righty starters and relievers and lefties are hard to come by so I would have to be really blown away to trade them.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, all three of those deals would be home runs for the Sox.  

You're undervaluing players. Teams(not just the Sox) shouldn't be selling their players for contending teams' junk. Either pay up or go try to win something with the team you have now. 

I feel like the lack of activity is because the offers for established players are garbage and it is a giant game of chicken. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're undervaluing players. Teams(not just the Sox) shouldn't be selling their players for contending teams' junk. Either pay up or go try to win something with the team you have now. 

I feel like the lack of activity is because the offers for established players are garbage and it is a giant game of chicken. 

I think it's that teams aren't under as much financial constraints and expect bigger talent returns.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Meh, I'd love to be wrong, but the Sox are not acquiring 2 of the Phillies top 4 prospects for Colome. They aren't getting a top 100 prospect in Medina PLUS the Phillies 23 year old 2017 1st rounder that is already in the big leagues.  That trade would be an enormous win. 

Mazara for Fulmer and Hansen would be a terrible deal for the Rangers and an enormous win for the Sox.  No way Texas is trading Mazara for that pile of trash.  

The Abreu deal seems somewhat realistic, but the Rays have a serious 40 man issue, so if they're trading 2 prospects for Abreu, they're going to be guys on the 40 man.  Only Banda fits that category, and he's on the 60 day IL, so doesn't really solve their problem.  

As I said, these deals would be major home runs for the Sox.   IF these deals were on the table, they'd be agreed to already. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think it's that teams aren't under as much financial constraints and expect bigger talent returns.

If the Sox couldn't get the packages that I suggested for Colome and Abreu then the contending teams can go pound sand. You have to give to get. Nobody should be trading rental players for garbage. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox couldn't get the packages that I suggested for Colome and Abreu then the contending teams can go pound sand. You have to give to get. Nobody should be trading rental players for garbage. 

No ones giving that much for Abreu, dude. Look at the Edwin deal (and that's with Mariners sending cash).

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh, I'd love to be wrong, but the Sox are not acquiring 2 of the Phillies top 4 prospects for Colome. They aren't getting a top 100 prospect in Medina PLUS the Phillies 23 year old 2017 1st rounder that is already in the big leagues.  That trade would be an enormous win. 

Mazara for Fulmer and Hansen would be a terrible deal for the Rangers and an enormous win for the Sox.  No way Texas is trading Mazara for that pile of trash.  

The Abreu deal seems somewhat realistic, but the Rays have a serious 40 man issue, so if they're trading 2 prospects for Abreu, they're going to be guys on the 40 man.  Only Banda fits that category, and he's on the 60 day IL, so doesn't really solve their problem.  

As I said, these deals would be major home runs for the Sox.   IF these deals were on the table, they'd be agreed to already. 

Mazara is a 1 WAR player. It is basically reclamation project for reclamation project. Mazara, Fulmer and Hansen could all be characterized as "trash with some upside left" 

The Phillies package I proposed is mainly about Medina. I'd try to get either Haseley or Moniak, but I'd settle for less, as long as Medina was the centerpiece. 

The Rays deal doesn't get done without McClanahan. The Sox need some LHP, and I went through the Rays top 30 list and picked those guys. Banda is injured and a reclamation project so I thought that he was a good throw in that would be ready next year. 

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

No ones giving that much for Abreu, dude. Look at the Edwin deal (and that's with Mariners sending cash).

Then the Sox should keep him. They're not required to give him away. The Encarnacion deal isn't a rental and he's more expensive. That was nothing more than a salary dump and EE is also 4 years older than Abreu. Apples and Oranges.

All I ask is that if anyone gets traded, that the return is worthwhile. If not, they can go pound sand. The Sox should be both buying and selling today and tomorrow.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mazara is a 1 WAR player. It is basically reclamation project for reclamation project. Mazara, Fulmer and Hansen could all be characterized as "trash with some upside left" 

The Phillies package I proposed is mainly about Medina. I'd try to get either Haseley or Moniak, but I'd settle for less, as long as Medina was the centerpiece. 

The Rays deal doesn't get done without McClanahan. The Sox need some LHP, and I went through the Rays top 30 list and picked those guys. Banda is injured and a reclamation project so I thought that he was a good throw in that would be ready next year. 

Your packages are wildly optimistic.  Sorry dude.  The Rangers will just hold onto the Mazara if the best they can do is Fulmer and Hansen, and surely one of the other 28 teams would beat that offer.  

Medina by himself for Colome is perhaps possible if Philly is desperate, but adding is Haseley or Moniak makes it very unrealistic.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Heavily disagree. Mazara has had success at the MLB level. Has he reached his potential? Absolutely not. But he’s been replacement level, and is still just 24 years old. The kid has a future, and most likely will have a few seasons where he might be better than he’s shown. Fulmer has shown zero ability to compete in the majors, and Hansen is quickly approaching “never going to see the majors” territory. 

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Your packages are wildly optimistic.  Sorry dude.  The Rangers will just hold onto the Mazara if the best they can do is Fulmer and Hansen, and surely one of the other 28 teams would beat that offer.  

Medina by himself for Colome is perhaps possible if Philly is desperate, but adding is Haseley or Moniak makes it very unrealistic.  

Fine then, If I'm Hahn I hold on to everyone, and tell the opposition to call back when they're serious about making a deal.