2019 Trade Deadline Predictions

Chicago White Sox

Alright, with the trade deadline just over two weeks away, I figured it’s time for an official “predictions” thread.   While it’s always cool to guess something right, both realistic and crazy predictions are welcome here.

Here are my official predictions:

• LHP Aaron Bummer to the Rays for RF Jesus Sanchez & PTBNL
  • RHP Alex Colome & cash to the Braves for LHP Luis Gohara
  • OF Blake Rutherford to the Diamondbacks for RHP Zack Greinke & cash

12 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’d be ok with the 1st 2 moves...but no way on greinkie unless you put the words “a lot” in front of cash. That’s a move to make if you’re a team thinking you’re 1 or 2 moves away from competing for a championship. That’s not the White Sox 

I actually think Greinke would be the perfect add.

He is one of the few pitchers alive that can be great throwing 89 mph and it's because his understanding of modern technology and it's implementation. Greinke knows how to pitch better than pretty much anyone alive and maybe he could teach young guys that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’d be ok with the 1st 2 moves...but no way on greinkie unless you put the words “a lot” in front of cash. That’s a move to make if you’re a team thinking you’re 1 or 2 moves away from competing for a championship. That’s not the White Sox 

Greinke just seems like such a White Sox move IMO.  I’m not sure I would like that trade either (mostly because of his age, velocity drop, & personality concerns), but I could totally see the Sox adding him if they were to get enough cash.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, with the trade deadline just over two weeks away, I figured it’s time for an official “predictions” thread.   While it’s always cool to guess something right, both realistic and crazy predictions are welcome here.

•  OF Blake Rutherford to the Diamondbacks for RHP Zack Greinke & cash

I love all three of those.

• RHP Alex Colome and LHP Aaron Bummer to the Dodgers for RHP Dustin May and RHP Josiah Gray

That's all I predict. 

Greinke is very much a White  Sox move and the Sox would gladly and likely  pay more than Rutherford.

Right now, the Sox have 6 major league pitchers:  Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Bummer Fry, Colome.   That's 1/2 of a staff, some of those aren't proven, and  they have nothing healthy in AAA nor anyone near ready in AA.   They need to trade any player under short term control to bring young pitching in here.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Greinke is very much a White  Sox move and the Sox would gladly and likely  pay more than Rutherford.

Right now, the Sox have 6 major league pitchers:  Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Bummer Fry, Colome.   That's 1/2 of a staff, some of those aren't proven, and  they have nothing healthy in AAA nor anyone near ready in AA.   They need to trade any player under short term control to bring young pitching in here.

Greinke is not going to cost "more than Rutherford" given his contract obligations and the DBacks current position.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the most unrealistic of any of those is that the White Sox would send cash to anyone. :cool:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I love all three of those.

• RHP Alex Colome and LHP Aaron Bummer to the Dodgers for RHP Dustin May and RHP Josiah Gray

That's all I predict. 

I keep seeing May’s name mentioned, but why would the Dodgers give up a top 25 pitching prospect for relievers?  Maybe if it was for Felipe Vazquez and his strikeout ability. 

Edited by fathom

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Greinke just seems like such a White Sox move IMO.  I’m not sure I would like that trade either (mostly because of his age, velocity drop, & personality concerns), but I could totally see the Sox adding him if they were to get enough cash.

Not arguing that it def would be a White Sox/KW move to get a guy like Greinkie when it’s slightly too late

Im just looking at it from the perspective that I don’t think the team will be close to competing for a championship run next season. So you’d be counting on a 37 year old Greinkie to be a major part of a playoff run in 2021. Not crazy given how he pitches, just not something I’d count on.

I do agree that adding a reliable vet arm is a good idea, but 2.5 years at 60+ mil for a guy to be a very good inning eater/hopefully mentor? I just don’t see that as the best option. But also not my $...

I like all of these ideas a lot. I have no idea how realistic any of them are. 

Going into a year with:

Grienke - Giolito - Kopech - Cease - Wheeler/Wood type signing / Rodon - Dunning - Lopez - Gohara would probably work. Jesus Sanchez could probably take over right by next year and now your looking at rebuilding a bullpen instead of a rotation which is a lot easier to pull off. 

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The way Hawk talked about Greinke's contract makes me feel there is no way the White Sox ever acquire him when he is playing under its terms.

I'm sure he wasn't the only White Sox guy to think it.

I don’t recall this?  Can you expand on this?  Thanks.

38 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not arguing that it def would be a White Sox/KW move to get a guy like Greinkie when it’s slightly too late

Im just looking at it from the perspective that I don’t think the team will be close to competing for a championship run next season. So you’d be counting on a 37 year old Greinkie to be a major part of a playoff run in 2021. Not crazy given how he pitches, just not something I’d count on.

I do agree that adding a reliable vet arm is a good idea, but 2.5 years at 60+ mil for a guy to be a very good inning eater/hopefully mentor? I just don’t see that as the best option. But also not my $...

How is it too late to get Greinke? 

How could Greinke ever classify as an inning eater? He's a top 10 pitcher in baseball who has shown the ability to pitch and succeed at 90 MPH.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I like these.  They all seem like nice returns for the Sox, which means they may not be realistic, but I dig it.  Greinke is an intersting one for sure.  Pretty sure he's stated that he hates pitching at the Cell when he was on the Royals - not sure what his NTC looks like, but something to keep in mind.  

Getting Gohara would be nice, but he hasn't pitched all year with a shoulder surgery.  A bit scary, but he would be a nice option for the back of the rotation next season and gives us a much needed LH SP. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I like these.  They all seem like nice returns for the Sox, which means they may not be realistic, but I dig it.  Greinke is an intersting one for sure.  Pretty sure he's stated that he hates pitching at the Cell when he was on the Royals - not sure what his NTC looks like, but something to keep in mind.  

Getting Gohara would be nice, but he hasn't pitched all year with a shoulder surgery.  A bit scary, but he would be a nice option for the back of the rotation next season and gives us a much needed LH SP. 

The Sox aren't on his NTC

Os , Sawx, Reds, Rockies, Tigers, LA x 2, Twins, Yankees, As, Phillies, Padres, Giants, Cards, Jays