Is Giolito an ace?

soxfan49

Based on the fragility of his delivery, I can say he's a safe bet to be a #3, will have years where he pitches like a # 2, and he will pitch like an ace for stretches. He's probably always going to be inconsistent and maddening to people, because you see the ace in him but he can't keep his shit together long enough to actually pull it off. 

He's going to have stretches where he's absolutely dominant and stretches when he's average or worse. The truth lies somewhere in between. 

I say this as one of his biggest fans. It is what it is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Based on the fragility of his delivery, I can't say that he's anything more than a #3-4 that can pitch like an ace for stretches. He's probably always going to be inconsistent and maddening to people, because you see the ace in him but he can't keep his shit together long enough to actually pull it off. 

Let's overreact to two bad starts against the Cubs.  

• Thanks 1

On a perfect pitching staff, Giolito to me seems like an awesome #2 or perfect #3. 

Aces are just so rare. But hey, it's true, aces do struggle too. Look at Sale this year. If nothing else, I think Giolito is still perfecting the repeatability of his delivery, and polishing the mental side of his game. If he doesn't lose any of his stuff, he will be perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Based on the fragility of his delivery, I can't say that he's anything more than a #3-4 that can pitch like an ace for stretches. He's probably always going to be inconsistent and maddening to people, because you see the ace in him but he can't keep his shit together long enough to actually pull it off. 

He's going to have stretches where he's absolutely dominant and stretches when he's trash. The truth lies somewhere in between. 

I say this as one of his biggest fans. It is what it is. 

This is so perplexing. You spent a lot of last season telling everyone that Giolito was interesting and may become something good, and props to you for that. Now he's having an all-star season, and as one of his "biggest fans" (which you kind of aren't, if this is your opinion on him), he's now "nothing more than a 3-4"? That's ridiculous, he isn't the 1.5 ERA guy he was in May but he also isn't suddenly a #4 pitcher. Long-term I think he's a very good #2 or low-end #1 but two bad starts (and really just two bad innings, if we're being honest) doesn't take a guy from future ace to #4. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Just now, GGajewski18 said:

Let's overreact to two bad starts against the Cubs.  

It's not just that. His command started to falter during his game vs. The Yankees and he hadn't found it since. He's so out of whack now that he's throwing 92-93 again so that is an issue. You know he's right when he's hitting 97 multiple times in an outing.  He's way off right now. 

I think Cease has a better chance of being an ace than Gio because he has better raw stuff than Gio.  Cease has an out pitch that he can control in his curveball but he will need to be able to get his fastball and other offerings over the plate as well.  But Gio can be a very good #2.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I think Cease has a better chance of being an ace than Gio because he has better raw stuff than Gio.  Cease has an out pitch that he can control in his curveball but he will need to be able to get his fastball and other offerings over the plate as well.  But Gio can be a very good #2.

Have you seen Gio's change up?

There are only about 10-15 pitchers in MLB at a given point in time that you could consider true "aces". Fact is not every team will have an ace.

If the question is if Giolito could be a top 30 pitcher in this league, I think without a doubt he could. But even then some people wouldn't consider him an ace.

The only way Giolito can pull off being an ace is if he can repeat his delivery. It seems like it has always been a problem, and maybe he's going through a dead arm period and he's become out of whack. I can safely say at this point that his upside is a strong #2 but I don't know if he's ever going to be consistent enough. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

A 4.50 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP against the Royals isn't "good."

6 innings 1 walk and 5 Ks, 3 ER is still a QS that keeps his team in the game.  Sorry he needs to go 7-8 and give up 1-2 runs every single game.  That's just not going to happen.

The only answer is no one has any idea what Giolito is going forward. He has a brand new delivery that is going to tax his body in different ways, so he's hit a wall. We don't know if he'll get over it or not. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

The only answer is no one has any idea what Giolito is going forward. He has a brand new delivery that is going to tax his body in different ways, so he's hit a wall. We don't know if he'll get over it or not. 

^^^

This. We have to let it play out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How much raw stuff did Buehrle have?

13 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

There are only about 10-15 pitchers in MLB at a given point in time that you could consider true "aces". Fact is not every team will have an ace.

If the question is if Giolito could be a top 30 pitcher in this league, I think without a doubt he could. But even then some people wouldn't consider him an ace.

Good take.

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is so perplexing. You spent a lot of last season telling everyone that Giolito was interesting and may become something good, and props to you for that. Now he's having an all-star season, and as one of his "biggest fans" (which you kind of aren't, if this is your opinion on him), he's now "nothing more than a 3-4"? That's ridiculous, he isn't the 1.5 ERA guy he was in May but he also isn't suddenly a #4 pitcher. Long-term I think he's a very good #2 or low-end #1 but two bad starts (and really just two bad innings, if we're being honest) doesn't take a guy from future ace to #4. 

When I said that, I meant I have Cease and Kopech definitely ahead of him at this point

I don't think he's a "true talent" #3-4 but I think he could end up that in the Sox rotation. You're going to have arguments of consistency vs. pure upside between him and someone like Dunning. 

In terms of true talent, he's probably a #2 or #3, fluctuating from year to year 

Whomever said Trevor Bauer has the right idea. 

13 minutes ago, knightni said:

How much raw stuff did Buehrle have?

He was the opposite of the norm of an ace.  Didn’t have a good fastball but had really good breaking stuff and ridiculous control.  But how many Maddux-like starters are out there?  They are more of the exception, not the norm.

44 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

This. We have to let it play out. 

You're back to being all over. You said to let it out play here but minutes before you made this comment, seemingly implying that he'll never be an ace or even a #2.

"I can't say that he's anything more than a #3-4 that can pitch like an ace for stretches. He's probably always going to be inconsistent and maddening to people, because you see the ace in him but he can't keep his shit together long enough to actually pull it off."

• Love 1

I think he's a 2, but I also think he comps pretty well with Scherzer. I'm undecided, but at this point if you asked if I wanted him to start game 7 of the world series, I'd say no. So in that regard, he's not an ace. 

Also, Buehrle wasn't an ace. 

Out of all our pitchers, I think Kopech is the ace because he has the heaviest fastball. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You're back to being all over. You said to let it out play here but minutes before you made this comment, seemingly implying that he'll never be an ace or even a #2.

"I can't say that he's anything more than a #3-4 that can pitch like an ace for stretches. He's probably always going to be inconsistent and maddening to people, because you see the ace in him but he can't keep his shit together long enough to actually pull it off."

I decided that it was too harsh. I definitely have Cease and Kopech ahead of him. 

Someone brought up Trevor Bauer and it made me reconsider. 

Edited by Jack Parkman