Is Giolito an ace?

soxfan49

Gio can become an ace if he can lower his BB/9. His current number is 3.31. If he could somehow get that number around 2.0 then we could start the conversation about him being an ace. 

His current xFIP is 28th in baseball which is very good but not "ace" material. 

2 hours ago, mqr said:

The only answer is no one has any idea what Giolito is going forward. He has a brand new delivery that is going to tax his body in different ways, so he's hit a wall. We don't know if he'll get over it or not. 

Well said. I don't think he can be an "ace" with overpowering staff and a reputation to match but he could be a very good, very productive pitcher if things continue to go as they have been.

But we're just seeing his good side for a half a season, need more time to see how this will play out.

4 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

6 innings 1 walk and 5 Ks, 3 ER is still a QS that keeps his team in the game.  Sorry he needs to go 7-8 and give up 1-2 runs every single game.  That's just not going to happen.

That was also the 5th time the Royals have seen him in just over half a season. I wasn't thrilled with his start, but I wasn't disappointed either. 

I'm hopeful that this season is one to build on and he can find that "good Gio" consistency on a more regular basis. He clearly learned something this past offseason to have the start to the season that he had. Hopefully he can learn from this season how to adjust when he is going through a rough patch. The thought of Kopech, Cease, and Giolito in the same rotation with each pitching to their potential is incredibly exciting. I am in no way saying that will happen but it's going to be there for us to find out, and I can't wait.

I'm sorry to all for being all over the place in this thread. 

Let me clarify: 

Right now, Giolito doesn't have the command or consistency in his delivery to be an ace. 

Could he get there eventually? Maybe. 

In the Sox rotation, he's going to be their #3 

In terms of league wide? He's a strong #2. 

I have concerns about him being inconsistent from season to season. Whoever said Trevor Bauer has the right idea. 

He's going to have seasons where he'll pitch like an ace,  seasons where he'll pitch like a #4, and seasons in between. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

That was also the 5th time the Royals have seen him in just over half a season. I wasn't thrilled with his start, but I wasn't disappointed either. 

That never used to matter when guys like Buehrle mowed down the Royals start after start and some of their guys (Chen) mowed us down start after start.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If I could laugh at this post 14 times, I would.

Well, I was laughing to myself as I typed it so I understand. He seems to be having a rough patch right now but if he can get control of his delivery I think he will get back on track. It is still a little early to determine if he can be an ace, but the potential is certainly there.

41 minutes ago, supernuke said:

Well, I was laughing to myself as I typed it so I understand. He seems to be having a rough patch right now but if he can get control of his delivery I think he will get back on track. It is still a little early to determine if he can be an ace, but the potential is certainly there.

You need to do a better job of showing you're sarcastic. Change it to green text or write "/sarcasm" after because it came off as believable.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, just read this thread.  The amount of hot takes every time someone hits a rough patch is outstanding.

To be fair, until someone has built up a bit of a track record of success, any slump could potentially be "coming back to earth" it's hard when this is these guys first taste of success to know what is and isn't real. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair, until someone has built up a bit of a track record of success, any slump could potentially be "coming back to earth" it's hard when this is these guys first taste of success to know what is and isn't real. 

You told us last year when he was a gas can that he had TOR stuff.  Then when he finally shows that type of ability, you jump ship at the first rough patch.  You need to sit back, take a deep breath, and not overact every time things go off the rails slightly.  Your instincts about Giolito were right, he is very much a TOR type starter and you should be enjoying that, not waiting for something bad to happen.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, supernuke said:

As constructed...he might be 2 or 3 on this team.  Very nice situation to have.

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Which is why asking “Is Giolito an Ace” at this point doesn’t make much sense. No one needs to know right now. Let things play out in 2019, let’s see how he starts 2020. You’re going to have a much better answer to the question on July 1 2020. 

This is the answer. Nice post. 

We'd all like to jump the gun a bit because Moncada, Giolito and Eloy were once top 5 prospects in baseball. We want to actually believe that this is who they are as much as the lack of track record says to be patient. Like Tony said, we won't know for sure until this time next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You told us last year when he was a gas can that he had TOR stuff.  Then when he finally shows that type of ability, you jump ship at the first rough patch.  You need to sit back, take a deep breath, and not overact every time things go off the rails slightly.  Your instincts about Giolito were right, he is very much a TOR type starter and you should be enjoying that, not waiting for something bad to happen.

You haven't been a fan of either team in town long enough if this doesn't creep into your head every now and then. Chicago Baseball fans are classically conditioned to expect that when things are starting to look really good, disaster is right around the corner. It isn't just Sox fans, north siders have this problem too. It's a city wide affliction. 

For 88 years this franchise was nothing but a giant tease. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 7/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, TaylorStSox said:

I think he's a 2, but I also think he comps pretty well with Scherzer. I'm undecided, but at this point if you asked if I wanted him to start game 7 of the world series, I'd say no. So in that regard, he's not an ace. 

Also, Buehrle wasn't an ace. 

Out of all our pitchers, I think Kopech is the ace because he has the heaviest fastball. 

I would agree that he has the potential to be a 2. But this year( granted only 60% of season) he has been one of the top pitchers in baseball. I am not sure heaviest fastball determines being an ace. I think the real aces have a combination of control and  a variety of pitches. When I think of aces, Lester has been an ace in the past and Verlander still may be. But they wouldn't be found in a list of top 50 hardest throwers although Verlander can hit 100 in some instances.  Sale would be in the list and he certainly has control and variety. But  when we talk post season, he seems to break down late in the year and is not as effective in October as he is during the season.  

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

One thing I noticed about Giolito is that when he is amped up(adrenaline spike) in so called "Big Games" he loses his release point a bit. He needs to be more relaxed to have his command like it was last night. 

Lucas is probably always going to be a "thinker" out there.

It depends on his stuff he's gained almost 2MPH on his fastball from last year and done a much better with location. It's turned what was one of his worst pitches into one of his better ones. if he can maintain his stuff moving forward he has a chance if he regresses back into that 91-92 MPH pitcher from last year not so much.

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

It must be a good thing that between Kopech, Giolito and Cease we don't know who will emerge as our #1.  Good time ahead!

I just hope they find a young  lefty to join them.