Is Giolito an ace?

soxfan49

I think he's a really good 3 in a loaded, playoff expectations rotation.  On most teams he'd be a really good 2 or borderline ace.  I can see a Quintana esque run for him producing about 20 WAR over the next 5 years.  That would probably rank him somewhere around 20-25 for SP so not quite an ace (probably reserve that for only 7-10 guys in all of MLB) but certainly one of teh best pitchers in baseball.

The hot takes around Giolito are quite impressive.  The kid is 25 years old and has gone from worst starter in baseball in 2018 to legit 4+ win pitcher in 2019.  Even when bad, he looks night & day better than last year and now has the stuff to support being a legit TOR starter.  The kid is not a finished product and will continue to get better, so there is absolutely need to panic over a semi rough patch.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The hot takes around Giolito are quite impressive.  The kid is 25 years old and has gone from worst starter in baseball in 2018 to legit 4+ win pitcher in 2019.  Even when bad, he looks night & day better than last year and now has the stuff to support being a legit TOR starter.  The kid is not a finished product and will continue to get better, so there is absolutely need to panic over a semi rough patch.

He does need to find a way to consistently work three pitches though

What's disconcerting to me about Giolito is his most recent history.  We aren't talking about an isolated bad game or 2.  He has a 6.38 ERA over his last 7 starts.  Is he the Giolito of the 1st half or the beginning of the 2nd half?

He stated in a story today by Merkin in MLB.com that he got away with a lot of bad pitches that he threw in the 1st half of the year.  Batters are killing those mistakes now.

Hopefully he reverts back to Good Giolito.  I'd say he's a #3 right now---the average of an ace, as he was in the first half, and a #5 like he's been so far. 

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

LGINAA.

All I know is that I thought he really sucked coming into this year with very little hope of being decent. He was a legit candidate to start the All Star Game. He might not be an ace, but he's pretty good.

With all the crap and chaff on the roster I don't understand why people are coming after one of the few guys that has looked like a legitimate major leaguer.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

With all the crap and chaff on the roster I don't understand why people are coming after one of the few guys that has looked like a legitimate major leaguer.

Sox fans gonna be Sox fans.  

29 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Unless they have a starting rotation of 5 legit aces, a lineup 1-9 of players that could make the ASG in any given year, that all play above average defense, and a bullpen that very rarely blows a lead, people are always going to have something to complain about. Also, if the Sox don't win 100+ games every year, people are going to complain. 

There are some people with unrealistic expectations that can never be pleased. They're miserable fucks who don't deserve your time and energy. They all know who they are. 

Every bit of progress just raises the bar for what is and isn't acceptable to them. They're always moving the goalposts until they get so high that it is impossible to reach. 

Nobody is allowed to have a slump, or a bad start/outing, let alone a bad season. These are the last people in the world I'd want to be my boss, and to those people, ask yourself if you'd want your boss to treat you like that at work. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Unless they have a starting rotation of 5 legit aces, a lineup 1-9 of players that could make the ASG in any given year, that all play above average defense, and a bullpen that very rarely blows a lead, people are always going to have something to complain about. Also, if the Sox don't win 100+ games every year, people are going to complain. 

There are some people with unrealistic expectations that can never be pleased. They're miserable fucks who don't deserve your time and energy. They all know who they are. 

Every bit of progress just raises the bar for what is and isn't acceptable to them. They're always moving the goalposts until they get so high that it is impossible to reach. 

Nobody is allowed to have a slump, or a bad start/outing, let alone a bad season. These are the last people in the world I'd want to be my boss, and to those people, ask yourself if you'd want your boss to treat you like that at work. 

Nervous people are just nervous.  They always need to blame somebody or hold somebody accountable for something.  

Most other people in the world are trying really hard every day to be proud of that day and treat people with respect.  The nervous people...well they live on earth too.  

4 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Nobody is coming after the guy. 

The thread is titled "Is Giolito an ace?"  Everyone agrees he's come a million miles from who he was last year, but that has nothing to do with this thread.  Is he an ace as of right now?  He's still the best starter that the Sox have, so in that respect , yes.  On a team like Washington, he might be a #4.

We all want him to succeed.  Some of us are just concerned about his performance  in his last several starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even high quality aces have bad outings, and against the best hitting team in the league, it's not all that surprising. 

People are just looking for something, anything, to hang their hopes on during a really brutal stretch of baseball and the one guy who was having a consistently great season, is hitting a rough patch.

This team has taking a huge step back after the All-Star break and nobody is really playing well right now. Having a bad stretch with no silver lining is a terrible feeling. 

• Like 1