Is Giolito an ace?

soxfan49

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lucas-giolitos-rough-july-was-just-a-blip/

Good information and surprising his spin rate continues to improve through this rough stretch. I agree the changeup to righties have been killing him (Cruz, Contreras, etc.)

Great article and what some of us were saying about him in GTs when the freak outs began.

15 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lucas-giolitos-rough-july-was-just-a-blip/

Good information and surprising his spin rate continues to improve through this rough stretch. I agree the changeup to righties have been killing him (Cruz, Contreras, etc.)

Hmm, I guess the sky isn't falling after all

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

He's in the top ten on fangraphs and bbref before this game even gets logged. You have pretty stringent definitions of ace.

• Like 2

95% of the takes on this thread are that he is a strong #2 with some inconsistency because he is still young.

Yet every bad Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A HALL OF FAMER LOOOOL"

and every good Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A SHITTY 5 AT BEST"

Is anyone even reading the thread? Who are ya'll even arguing with?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

He's in the top ten on fangraphs and bbref before this game even gets logged. You have pretty stringent definitions of ace.

Yeah he's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball this year. If that's not an ace, idk what is. What is interesting is that the pitch that supposedly made him so good as a prospect (curveball) is non-existent now. If he could ever get that back....holy shit. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I've long ago learned not to argue what an "ace" is and isn't on a baseball board.  Some of the most pedantic dead end conversations anywhere around.  I happen to believe there are only about 3-6 aces at any given time in MLB.   For me that's what it is, and it's relative.

He's a helluva pitcher and a great story and a very positive development.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

95% of the takes on this thread are that he is a strong #2 with some inconsistency because he is still young.

Yet every bad Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A HALL OF FAMER LOOOOL"

and every good Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A SHITTY 5 AT BEST"

Is anyone even reading the thread? Who are ya'll even arguing with?

This makes me think of the Bears fans on Twitter who keep mocking the "Trubisky can't throw to his left" takes. Nobody's been seriously saying that since the middle of last year at the latest.

25 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

He’s at 4.8 fWAR now

12 minutes ago, lostfan said:

This makes me think of the Bears fans on Twitter who keep mocking the "Trubisky can't throw to his left" takes. Nobody's been seriously saying that since the middle of last year at the latest.

I mean, a gag reel of Trubisky throwing left went viral like a week ago. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, mqr said:

I mean, a gag reel of Trubisky throwing left went viral like a week ago. 

Yes football fans are dumb as shit and the vast majority do not actually understand what they're watching or care to learn. But at a certain point in the offseason that's all people do because they get bored and try to force discussion.

26 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

we all overreacted to the Cubs game...was that a dead arm period potentially? Glad his Elite #2, potential ace status is coming back. Cement Cole as the real #1 and oh boy...

He had a problem throwing strikes again for about 5 starts and it was also coupled with diminished velocity iirc.  It wasn't bad but he dropped to like 91-93 instead of 93-96 and was missing his spots with every pitch.  I'm almost glad he stumbled a bit because it showcased his new found mental toughness.  Just awesome to see.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not all. Some of us said that was just one team who has his number.. happens to alot of great pitchers out there. 

arent you giving the Cubs a little too much credit when he couldn't even get the ball over the plate?