Is Giolito an ace?

soxfan49

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

In what world is that not a #1 starter?

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

This makes me think of the Bears fans on Twitter who keep mocking the "Trubisky can't throw to his left" takes. Nobody's been seriously saying that since the middle of last year at the latest.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

95% of the takes on this thread are that he is a strong #2 with some inconsistency because he is still young.

Yet every bad Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A HALL OF FAMER LOOOOL"

and every good Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A SHITTY 5 AT BEST"

Is anyone even reading the thread? Who are ya'll even arguing with?

You guys must not be visiting game threads, because that’s where most of the hot takes, especially in regards to Lucas, happen.

29 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

So what would an extension look like if Sox offered him one this offseason?

Snell got 5/$50M early this year with the same amount of control and coming off a Cy Young winning season.  Severino & Nola got 4/$40 & 4/$45M respectively plus an option year (I believe both were Super 2 guys).  Any deal in that range should be a no-brainer for us as long as we buy out at least one free agent year.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Real said:

arent you giving the Cubs a little too much credit when he couldn't even get the ball over the plate?

Last year yea when he was walking 5-6 guys against them. This year his peripherals were good just pretty much got beat (mostly Contreras). 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Remember when Parkman jumped ship a few weeks back?

Giolito is a reliable breaking ball away from being an ace. I was kinda hard on him because he was missing spots badly. 

He still struggles with both his curve and slider. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Snell got 5/$50M early this year with the same amount of control and coming off a Cy Young winning season.  Severino & Nola got 4/$40 & 4/$45M respectively plus an option year (I believe both were Super 2 guys).  Any deal in that range should be a no-brainer for us as long as we buy out at least one free agent year.  

I don't know how you don't try to lock him up.  He already got the TJ done.

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't know how you don't try to lock him up.  He already got the TJ done.

I’m certain they will and I don’t see him being foolish enough to pass up on a big guarantee after some of the struggles he’s experienced in the past.  I don’t think the fact he comes from a rich family will have any baring.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Giolito is a reliable breaking ball away from being an ace. I was kinda hard on him because he was missing spots badly. 

He still struggles with both his curve and slider. 

He's averaging 11.5 k/s per 9 and has a FIP and ERA of 3.2 in 2019 MLB baseball. 

After today Giolito should/will be top 5  (6) in pitcher WAR. I'm not sure what is needed to be an ace if that's not one. This isn't even peak giolito either. He's in his first season of MLB success.

Edit: and he will have done it in less innings than everyone above him not named Scherzer. Parkman, you should be gloating but now you're ridiculing the guy when he's top 5 in WAR. Weird.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing I would be slightly concerned about with Giolito is how early his TJS was in his career...his was late 2012 and wiped out the 2013 season, which is coming up on 7 years now.

I don't know the "normal rate" for a recurrence, but they basically have no choice but to gamble on his health...as opposed to signing someone from outside the organization to even more outlandish dollars in Free Agency.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's averaging 11.5 k/s per 9 and has a FIP and ERA of 3.2 in 2019 MLB baseball. 

After today Giolito should/will be top 5  (6) in pitcher WAR. I'm not sure what is needed to be an ace if that's not one. This isn't even peak giolito either. He's in his first season of MLB success.

Edit: and he will have done it in less innings than everyone above him not named Scherzer. Parkman, you should be gloating but now you're ridiculing the guy when he's top 5 in WAR. Weird.

I'm not roasting him. He's really fucking good now, but a quality breaker would take him to a completely different level.  I'm talking about Scherzer/Verlander territory. The difference between his dominant stretch and the rest of the season is that he had his slider working when he needed it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not roasting him. He's really fucking good now, but a quality breaker would take him to a completely different level.  I'm talking about Scherzer/Verlander territory. The difference between his dominant stretch and the rest of the season is that he had his slider working when he needed it. 

I actually agree with this, despite how good he has been he needs to have a consistent breaking ball.  The variations of the changeups and locating the high FB are great this year but adding a curve or slider into the mix I think will help.

Not something you really do in season so hopefully he makes that a priority in the Spring.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You guys must not be visiting game threads, because that’s where most of the hot takes, especially in regards to Lucas, happen.

It is in fact the specific reason WHY I don't visit game threads.

• Like 1