Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soxfan49

Is Giolito an ace?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lucas-giolitos-rough-july-was-just-a-blip/

Good information and surprising his spin rate continues to improve through this rough stretch. I agree the changeup to righties have been killing him (Cruz, Contreras, etc.)

Great article and what some of us were saying about him in GTs when the freak outs began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Great article and what some of us were saying about him in GTs when the freak outs began.

Yup. The stuff is still elite, every mistake is getting crushed right now. It all evens itself out in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lucas-giolitos-rough-july-was-just-a-blip/

Good information and surprising his spin rate continues to improve through this rough stretch. I agree the changeup to righties have been killing him (Cruz, Contreras, etc.)

Hmm, I guess the sky isn't falling after all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he an Ace?  I know this year would be a lot better if we had five of him in our rotation this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

He's in the top ten on fangraphs and bbref before this game even gets logged. You have pretty stringent definitions of ace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% of the takes on this thread are that he is a strong #2 with some inconsistency because he is still young.

Yet every bad Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A HALL OF FAMER LOOOOL"

and every good Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A SHITTY 5 AT BEST"

Is anyone even reading the thread? Who are ya'll even arguing with?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

He's in the top ten on fangraphs and bbref before this game even gets logged. You have pretty stringent definitions of ace.

Yeah he's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball this year. If that's not an ace, idk what is. What is interesting is that the pitch that supposedly made him so good as a prospect (curveball) is non-existent now. If he could ever get that back....holy shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

He's in the top ten on fangraphs and bbref before this game even gets logged. You have pretty stringent definitions of ace.

I've long ago learned not to argue what an "ace" is and isn't on a baseball board.  Some of the most pedantic dead end conversations anywhere around.  I happen to believe there are only about 3-6 aces at any given time in MLB.   For me that's what it is, and it's relative.

He's a helluva pitcher and a great story and a very positive development.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

95% of the takes on this thread are that he is a strong #2 with some inconsistency because he is still young.

Yet every bad Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A HALL OF FAMER LOOOOL"

and every good Gio game we get "HAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS THOUGHT HE WAS A SHITTY 5 AT BEST"

Is anyone even reading the thread? Who are ya'll even arguing with?

This makes me think of the Bears fans on Twitter who keep mocking the "Trubisky can't throw to his left" takes. Nobody's been seriously saying that since the middle of last year at the latest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Lowered his FIP to 3.2 after today's start and that will push him to around 4.5 fWAR.  He can still have a 5 fWAR season, which while not quite an "ace" is certainly "really good 2nd starter every team would love" territory.

He’s at 4.8 fWAR now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lostfan said:

This makes me think of the Bears fans on Twitter who keep mocking the "Trubisky can't throw to his left" takes. Nobody's been seriously saying that since the middle of last year at the latest.

I mean, a gag reel of Trubisky throwing left went viral like a week ago. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mqr said:

I mean, a gag reel of Trubisky throwing left went viral like a week ago. 

Yes football fans are dumb as shit and the vast majority do not actually understand what they're watching or care to learn. But at a certain point in the offseason that's all people do because they get bored and try to force discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we all overreacted to the Cubs game...was that a dead arm period potentially? Glad his Elite #2, potential ace status is coming back. Cement Cole as the real #1 and oh boy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

we all overreacted to the Cubs game...was that a dead arm period potentially?

Not all. Some of us said that was just one team who has his number.. happens to alot of great pitchers out there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

we all overreacted to the Cubs game...was that a dead arm period potentially? Glad his Elite #2, potential ace status is coming back. Cement Cole as the real #1 and oh boy...

He had a problem throwing strikes again for about 5 starts and it was also coupled with diminished velocity iirc.  It wasn't bad but he dropped to like 91-93 instead of 93-96 and was missing his spots with every pitch.  I'm almost glad he stumbled a bit because it showcased his new found mental toughness.  Just awesome to see.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not all. Some of us said that was just one team who has his number.. happens to alot of great pitchers out there. 

 

arent you giving the Cubs a little too much credit when he couldn't even get the ball over the plate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Hey guys! Still think he’s a fluke, a #4, or whatever other hot takes you had? 

Remember when Parkman jumped ship a few weeks back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×