Shake-up Needed in Coaching Staff, ASAP

caulfield12

How many times this year have our outfielders had miscommunications this year, or infielders/outfielders or catchers/3B/1B?

It's ridiculous.

And it's not like the one between Cordell and Jimenez tonight happened in front of 35-40,000 screaming fans.

As DJ correctly pointed out, they need to do something different in terms of their communicating style or routine out there....he suggested that the CFer keep calling 3-4-5 times "I've got it" and that the corner outfielders should be taught/trained to only call "i've got it!!!" twice.

If the CFer's still calling after two times, the corner guy defers and the CF takes it.

If the CF stops calling after just two times, the corner outfielder knows he can't get to that particular ball....he needs to then make a full commitment and CF will peel off or bail out.

Whether it's Daryl Boston, Steverson, Cooper...Renteria, something needs to be done to shake up this team before they completely go south.

If Jimenez ends up missing major time with a hyperextended elbow, it's going to feel almost like a repeat of last year's injury to Kopech, in terms of zapping all the energy out of the fanbase.

And if they do go on to trade Abreu and McCann...there will only be ONE interesting offensive player remaining in the line-up, Yoan Moncada.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many times this year have our outfielders had miscommunications this year, or infielders/outfielders or catchers/3B/1B?

It's ridiculous.

And it's not like the one between Cordell and Jimenez tonight happened in front of 35-40,000 screaming fans.

As DJ correctly pointed out, they need to do something different in terms of their communicating style or routine out there....he suggested that the CFer keep calling 3-4-5 times "I've got it" and that the corner outfielders should be taught/trained to only call "i've got it!!!" twice.

If the CFer's still calling after two times, the corner guy defers and the CF takes it.

If the CF stops calling after just two times, the corner outfielder knows he can't get to that particular ball....he needs to then make a full commitment and CF will peel off or bail out.

Whether it's Daryl Boston, Steverson, Cooper...Renteria, something needs to be done to shake up this team before they completely go south.

If Jimenez ends up missing major time with a hyperextended elbow, it's going to feel almost like a repeat of last year's injury to Kopech, in terms of zapping all the energy out of the fanbase.

And if they do go on to trade Abreu and McCann...there will only be ONE interesting offensive player remaining in the line-up, Yoan Moncada.

Great info given, but there is zero chance any coach is changed this year.

Hard to believe in this organization when they just seem to be "mired in mediocrity" across both the front office, coaching staff and scouting/talent evaluation.

There have been some tweaks (like Getz/Hostetler), but nothing has fundamentally changed the SOP of this organization, not with the same group in charge for almost two decades.

We STILL underpay coaches/manager and scouts....have a smaller analytics department....the ONLY area where in the Top 10-15% in the major leagues is combined executive salary between KW and Hahn.

• Like 1

Those who love the tank can deal with the fact that when we do tank we are one of the embarrassments in all of baseball. Sad to see a proud franchise have such a weak roster. We need better health with our upcoming prospects or this could be a Royals/Orioles like drought on our hands.

I don't think we should fire Ricky just cause he did a marvelous job with this roster the first half. I mean if u were manager would you be confident we could win 55 games with this pitching staff?

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Those who love the tank can deal with the fact that when we do tank we are one of the embarrassments in all of baseball. Sad to see a proud franchise have such a weak roster. We need better health with our upcoming prospects or this could be a Royals/Orioles like drought on our hands.

I don't think we should fire Ricky just cause he did a marvelous job with this roster the first half. I mean if u were manager would you be confident we could win 55 games with this pitching staff?

Watching these last five games I would be confident you couldn't win 55 games with any pitching staff.  Offense has been nonexistent.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Hard to believe in this organization when they just seem to be "mired in mediocrity" across both the front office, coaching staff and scouting/talent evaluation.

There have been some tweaks (like Getz/Hostetler), but nothing has fundamentally changed the SOP of this organization, not with the same group in charge for almost two decades.

We STILL underpay coaches/manager and scouts....have a smaller analytics department....the ONLY area where in the Top 10-15% in the major leagues is combined executive salary between KW and Hahn.

Remember in the White Sox organization loyalty is far more important than winning or accountability.

57 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. This is only year 3 of a 6-7 year rebuild. The only thing the Sox are playing for in 2019 is another top 5 draft pick. 

Lol...so the rebuild somehow magically ends right when Moncada & Giolito hit free agency.  Step yo troll game up bro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Ricky fucking blows... have you seen the not give a fuck effort by this team the last 5?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...so the rebuild somehow magically ends right when Moncada & Giolito hit free agency.  Step yo troll game up bro.

The Minnesota and Houston rebuilds both took approximately 6 years so it's not far fetched to think the Sox's will be similar. 

Edited by OneDog847

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

It's ridiculous.

you learn this crap in high school.  The CF is the Captain out here...the QB...what he says goes and the corner guys need to understand that.  It's unbelievable how fundamentally weak this team is.  Ricky is a good guy and all...but he needs to be put into some Latin America position and out of the dugout. Team just needs a shakeup like the OP stated...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wanne said:

you learn this crap in high school.  The CF is the Captain out here...the QB...what he says goes and the corner guys need to understand that.  It's unbelievable how fundamentally weak this team is.  Ricky is a good guy and all...but he needs to be put into some Latin America position and out of the dugout. Team just needs a shakeup like the OP stated...

Well Charlie Tilson is your starting center fielder so there is your problem. 

2 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. This is only year 3 of a 6-7 year rebuild. The only thing the Sox are playing for in 2019 is another top 5 draft pick. 

Call me a dope, but any team that needs 6 or 7 years to rebuild off a tank job is an embarrassment to the sports world. An all-time embarrassment. Seven years is a long fricking time. One team can win it all. I'd rather do it MY WAY! The 2005 way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The Minnesota and Houston rebuilds both took approximately 6 years so it's not far fetched to think the Sox's will be similar. 

Those rebuilds didn’t have the Sale, Q and Eaton trades to bring in a prospect haul to start it. Ours shouldn’t take 4-5 years at most IMO

• Thanks 1

And the Twins were coming out of a period where they had six playoff appearances over the course of ten years.

Combined with the Mauer contract going bad, they were due for a rough cycle after having successfully (until the playoffs) competed for a full decade.

They held on too long, and then it was too late (see SF Giants for another prime example.)

But it should be noted they’ve gone through three GM changes and three managerial changes as well during that time frame.

All the successful rebuilds witnessed major front office and coaching staff changes, except for ours...even KC changed to Moore and Yost.

• Thanks 1

It needs to start with the front office. As long as Hahn and KW are in charge it won’t matter. There isn’t enough talent on the roster and I don’t see that changing with who we have making decisions. Nor do I trust their ability to pick the right coach.

Letting the same 2 people that put the team into a whole try to dig out of it was/is the dumbest thing possible. Really can’t think of many other instances where a front office was given this long of a leash...and ours has hung themselves with that leash multiple times over by now.

Pitching has been an embarrassment-fire Cooper *** Hitting is pitiful - fire Steverson *** Outfielders running into each other - fire Boston *** All of this going on under Renteria so you obviously get rid of him.  

Maybe it's time for a hard ass guy like Joe Girardi.  This mentoring nice guy stuff is not showing results on the field where it counts.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Pitching has been an embarrassment-fire Cooper *** Hitting is pitiful - fire Steverson *** Outfielders running into each other - fire Boston *** All of this going on under Renteria so you obviously get rid of him.  

Maybe it's time for a hard ass guy like Joe Girardi.  This mentoring nice guy stuff is not showing results on the field where it counts.

Bingo

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Houston had 6 sub-500 years. The Sox have had 6 sub-500 years and this could be 7. So Houston was smarter by realizing they needed to rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In fairness, two key rebuild pieces, Moncada and Anderson,  have shown progress under Steverson.  We can't blame him for failing w some of the players he has been handed.