Shake-up Needed in Coaching Staff, ASAP

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

In fairness, two key rebuild pieces, Moncada and Anderson,  have shown progress under Steverson.  We can't blame him for failing w some of the players he has been handed.  

When you have 25 guys to work with... the law of averages would have a couple of them improve if your only contribution is saying good morning to them.  Although I would agree Steverson hasn't been given all stars...isn't improvement expected in every players approach.  I'm not the worlds best golfer but I wouldn't keep paying the golf pro for lessons if I didn't start playing a little better.

• Like 1

I really don't care about comparisons to other rebuilds. This decade is the worst since the 1970's and that decade began with a 106-loss season and ended with Disco Demolition.

I see no sense of urgency with this front office. I have little faith in this rebuild. When I see decisive action, I will change my mind.

I think it's safe to assume that a MLB player has been playing baseball for 10+ years at the minimum.  If they don't know that they need to call fly balls by the time they reach this level, I don't know that there is anything any manager or coach can do to get through to them on that.  This is not a defense of RR or any other Sox coaches, but this is on the player IMO.

Here’s the telling quote...

“I’m sure they were both commanding the ball,” Renteria said. “When you talk to your outfielders, you have to call it as loud and constantly as you possibly can, and they remember the priority guy. And one has to deviate. It kind of looked like Eloy was going behind him, but I don’t know if ... obviously they made contact.”

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It would be so damn refreshing to have a completely different coaching staff next season.  But I'd be absolutely shocked if any majors changes were made.  

DJ noted the way the players are supposed to handle these situations in my OP.

Renteria just reinforced that with his quote.

So the obvious question is why isn’t it happening...maybe they need one of those infamous Guillen/Cora “fundamentals mini-camps” on an upcoming off day before Moncada, Abreu or McCann get hurt, too.

Cooper, McEwing, Boston, and Steverson were coaches on the Sox’ staff in the earlier part of this decade when the owner and his FO were in “go for it” mode.  Those teams, under these very coaches, played so poorly and lost so many games that it forced the organization into a multi-year rebuild.  

But despite their massive on-field failures on teams that were supposedly designed to win, each of these guys was allowed to retain their jobs during the rebuild, presiding over all of the losing during this time like they did all of those years prior to the rebuild.  

Bottom line - Jerry Reinsdorf’s loyalty program remains in as strong, working order as ever, and its very unlikely any of these guys are going anywhere anytime soon, unless they decide to leave on their own (e.g., retiring).  That’s just how things roll over at 35th & Shields.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Cooper, McEwing, Boston, and Steverson were coaches on the Sox’ staff in the earlier part of this decade when the owner and his FO were in “go for it” mode.  Those teams, under these very coaches, played so poorly and lost so many games that it forced the organization into a multi-year rebuild.  

But despite their massive on-field failures on teams that were supposedly designed to win, each of these guys was allowed to retain their jobs during the rebuild, presiding over all of the losing during this time like they did all of those years prior to the rebuild.  

Bottom line - Jerry Reinsdorf’s loyalty program remains in as strong, working order as ever, and its very unlikely any of these guys are going anywhere anytime soon, unless they decide to leave on their own (e.g., retiring).  That’s just how things roll over at 35th & Shields.  

Cooper has been a WS coach since 2002.  McEwing 2012, Boston 2013, Steverson joined in 2014 so is less culpable.  I was a fan of Jerry being loyal to his employees for a very long time.  I've come to believe baseball is a different kind of business than most.  The players make many millions of dollars. The FO people get a hefty payday and the manager and his coaches are well provided for as well.  They all should be held accountable for the play on the field.  These last five games should be an embarrassment to Jerry.  UNWATCHABLE.

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

When you have 25 guys to work with... the law of averages would have a couple of them improve if your only contribution is saying good morning to them.  Although I would agree Steverson hasn't been given all stars...isn't improvement expected in every players approach.  I'm not the worlds best golfer but I wouldn't keep paying the golf pro for lessons if I didn't start playing a little better.

I only named Moncada and Anderson because they are the first 2 pieces of the rebuild.  McCann has made as great an improvement as almost anyone in baseball.   Leury is having a career year and Abreu is having a solid season.  It is too soon to judge Eloy.  I would assume they are the only positional players on this roster with the talent to survive the rebuild. Maybe I missed someone but I think it is hard to say from a talent standpoint that any of the rest should be performing better  Many of them would be AAA talent on other teams. 

Overall, I think our batters strike out( 11 in MLB) too much  and don't walk(30th) enough. That I would put on Severson.  

Moncada, McCann and Anderson's BA  are all up 50 points.  I got to think that is more than just a good morning.

42 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I only named Moncada and Anderson because they are the first 2 pieces of the rebuild.  McCann has made as great an improvement as almost anyone in baseball.   Leury is having a career year and Abreu is having a solid season.  It is too soon to judge Eloy.  I would assume they are the only positional players on this roster with the talent to survive the rebuild. Maybe I missed someone but I think it is hard to say from a talent standpoint that any of the rest should be performing better  Many of them would be AAA talent on other teams. 

Overall, I think our batters strike out( 11 in MLB) too much  and don't walk(30th) enough. That I would put on Severson.  

Moncada, McCann and Anderson's BA  are all up 50 points.  I got to think that is more than just a good morning.

When I hear Moncada, McCann and Anderson give credit to Severson I will believe it.  You are the first person I have heard give credit to Severson for McCann's improvement at the plate.  I hope you are correct but I have my doubts.  For the most part I think hitting coaches can help the Sanchez, Engel, Tilson & Cordell types.  The stars hit wherever they go.  They're naturals.  

12 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Houston had 6 sub-500 years. The Sox have had 6 sub-500 years and this could be 7. So Houston was smarter by realizing they needed to rebuild. 

The Sox rebuild didn’t start till the winter of 2016. So those previous years don’t really count but I get your point

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Sox rebuild didn’t start till the winter of 2016. So those previous years don’t really count but I get your point

Houston also lost 100 plus games 3 years in a row. As we are seeing lately, the Sox look well on their way to their second straight 100 loss season. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m a players need to produce guy, but if the coaching staff isn’t holding these guys accountable, then changes need to be made. 

Steverson’s game plan against Duffy is working wonderfully.  Did he think it up on the crapper for about three minutes?

It would kind be kind of neat for the Sox to try a proven veteran manager like Girardi. I'd love an outspoken baseball man who wants to win take over and blast the players in the press and demand victories and accountability. Oh if we could have Francona or Girardi or LaRussa or somebody who would kick some butt.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

It would kind be kind of neat for the Sox to try a proven veteran manager like Girardi. I'd love an outspoken baseball man who wants to win take over and blast the players in the press and demand victories and accountability. Oh if we could have Francona or Girardi or LaRussa or somebody who would kick some butt.

LaRussa and Leland and are too old, Francona won’t leave CLE until Lindor does...Scioscia is not the choice, either.

If the Cubs flamed our and fired Maddon, I doubt JR would be willing to pay up for him, either.  He’s undoubtedly more high valued by Binny’s Beverage Depot.

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

When I hear Moncada, McCann and Anderson give credit to Severson I will believe it.  You are the first person I have heard give credit to Severson for McCann's improvement at the plate.  I hope you are correct but I have my doubts.  For the most part I think hitting coaches can help the Sanchez, Engel, Tilson & Cordell types.  The stars hit wherever they go.  They're naturals.  

McCann may be having a career year. But he averaged .248 for 5 years in Detroit. He only hit .220 his last year. So something happened over the winter thru  ST to turn his hitting totally around. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Girardi would be my choice.

• Haha 1