Eloy going on IL

fathom

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Literally nobody thought that about Tilson. Maybe you thought it up in a dream?

Lol nope. People literally said he could play his way into a backup role. Doesn't appear to be the case. I'll find the Tilson thread later when I have time.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Look at the production the Sox have gotten from the DH spot over the last decade.  It's atrocious.  The Sox need to play a DH every game and it's pretty apparent that getting a good DH from the system or through free agency isn't as easy as some assume.  It's not like the team has another great hitter who is important to the lineup and can't play a position (like an Edwin Encarnacion) that's forcing the Sox to play Eloy in LF.  For god's sakes, Jon Jay and Jose Rondon have gotten DH starts with Eloy in LF.  That makes no sense!  The idea that the Sox would play Eloy in LF just to maximize his individual value is ludicrous and not how Renteria or anyone else should be managing the team.

Doesn’t his value go down if he plays a terrible LF as opposed to just raking as DH?

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Doesn’t his value go down if he plays a terrible LF as opposed to just raking as DH?

In terms of fangraphs WAR he'd have to be worth -10 runs as a fielder in LF to equal out to being a DH in terms of value. He is currently at -5.7 runs so basically on pace for -10 if he were to play the full season. The hope would be that he would get less awful in the outfield with additional experience, but even then I don't think he projects to ever be even an average LF at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's a super unpopular opinion but ever since Eloy returned from injury in May to yesterday, I don't think he was bad in LF 

You're right. Nobody offers month by month defensive splits, but Eloy's outs above average on Statcast (which I regard as the best outfield defense metric available) has only dropped by 1 since then.

1 hour ago, tray said:

gTilson should have been instructed by Renteria  that his primary job in CF was to call for fly balls and above all else, to avoid colliding with Eloy.

Boston works with the outfielders.  Learning the proper technique to call for the ball is baseball 101.  Disgusting!

Maybe we can acquire Domingo Santana from the M’s, he might be the only outfielder worse than Jimenez defensively?   Still pretty surprising with those offensive numbers he’s going to be sent to his fourth organization at such a young age.

“Boston will fix ‘em!” Quotes never ever said at SoxTalk for $200, Alex.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Boston works with the outfielders.  Learning the proper technique to call for the ball is baseball 101.  Disgusting!

It shouldn’t even come down to Boston. Tilson has played the majority of his career in CF. He should know better. And Eloy needs to learn his limitations. I really hope this isn’t serious enough to sit him out the remainder of the season. 

45 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's a super unpopular opinion but ever since Eloy returned from injury in May to yesterday, I don't think he was bad in LF 

I have made this point several times.  He has played a better left field than advertised.  He has made the routine play and several that bordered on darn good.  Calling for the ball might be another issue.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's not good out there, but he has been SIGNIFICANTLY better than he was before the karate kick to the wall.  

It seemed like such a minor collision, was initially hoping it was just a stinger....looks like he maybe got Tilsons chin into his rotator cuff.  The elbow thing puzzles me.

And guys...I don't think TJS is a legitimate possibility here.  How often does one tear their UCL in a contact / non-throwing injury? 

Hopefully just jammed his elbow and needs a week off to let it calm down.  Fingers crossed.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It seemed like such a minor collision, was initially hoping it was just a stinger....looks like he maybe got Tilsons chin into his rotator cuff.  The elbow thing puzzles me.

And guys...I don't think TJS is a legitimate possibility here.  How often does one tear their UCL in a contact / non-throwing injury? 

Hopefully just jammed his elbow and needs a week off to let it calm down.  Fingers crossed.  

We can hope, but flying him back to Chicago suggests they think something is messed up.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

We can hope, but flying him back to Chicago suggests they think something is messed up.

I think it indicates it more than just a super minor injury, but I think they just want to be certain with one of their key assets.  It could be something more serious like a hyper extended elbow or maybe even a fracture in one of the arm bones I guess, but I'd be super surprised if there is UCL damage.  

Edited by ChiSox59

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Really think he tore his bicep, given the mechanics of it and his reaction 

How though? Brunt force doesnt really lead to a muscle tear. 

I am guessing he hyperextended it and they are sending him back to Chicago to get an MRI and make sure he didnt tear anything in the process.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How though? Brunt force doesnt really lead to a muscle tear. 

I am guessing he hyperextended it and they are sending him back to Chicago to get an MRI and make sure he didnt tear anything in the process.

I think his elbow was flexed and somehow Tilson’s glove got caught up and dragged it in an unnatural motion

It seemed like such an inconsequential side swipe.. And he didn't seem to be in much pain walking off the field. He actually was smiling. Seeing this when I got on this morning shocked me. But they obviously x rayed it, and they don't seem too confident nothing is wrong. We can always blame the training staff.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It seemed like such an inconsequential side swipe.. And he didn't seem to be in much pain walking off the field. He actually was smiling. Seeing this when I got on this morning shocked me. But they obviously x rayed it, and they don't seem too confident nothing is wrong. We can always blame the training staff.

I am guessing they're just being extra cautious. Probably enough to keep him out a few days, and they want to make sure there is no structural damage.  

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

UCL injuries are common in real wrestling and football. But because they dont throw it isn't that important to have surgery. I tore mine snowboarding in 1992. I can live fine without it.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

UCL injuries are common in real wrestling and football. But because they dont throw it isn't that important to have surgery. I tore mine snowboarding in 1992. I can live fine without it.

So are you insinuating there is a somewhat realistic chance in could be a UCL injury?  

What is your guess of the injury having reviewed the replay? 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

And at 22, there is certainly room to get better. I just don't agree with "GET HIM OUT OF THERE, HE'S GOING TO KILL HIMSELF!" 

He's a great athlete and needs to continue to improve in LF, which is entirely possible. It's his job. 

This is exactly what is happening though. The guy makes Kyle Schwarber look like Alex Gordon. This is already the second major injury scare due to him playing the field. Fool me once, fool me twice...

It's his job to mash baseballs and be an absolute monster at the plate. That's it.