Eloy going on IL

fathom

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So are you insinuating there is a somewhat realistic chance in could be a UCL injury?  

What is your guess of the injury having reviewed the replay? 

I think it's possible. You really can't tell by the replay. It does look more hyperextended-ish but you really can't tell. The more extension position of your elbow, the harder it is to injure the UCL. The fact that they immediately sent him home and put him on the IL isn't a good sign.

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

And I think you're wrong. 

I agree. This wasnt a case of him going for the ball awkwardly or trying to put his foot on the wall. This was him making a good aggressive play for the ball. If Tilson wasnt there it wouldnt have been an issue. This was a communication issue not a bad outfield play issue like the ankle injury.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So are you insinuating there is a somewhat realistic chance in could be a UCL injury?  

What is your guess of the injury having reviewed the replay? 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think it's possible. You really can't tell by the replay. It does look more hyperextended-ish but you really can't tell. The more extension position of your elbow, the harder it is to injure the UCL. The fact that they immediately sent him home and put him on the IL isn't a good sign.

If he needs Tommy John, can the Sox just elect not to do it? I'm afraid that Tommy John will derail Eloy like it did with Micker Adolfo. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

If he needs Tommy John, can the Sox just elect not to do it? I'm afraid that Tommy John will derail Eloy like it did with Micker Adolfo. 

It's his throwing arm so it will depend on the extent of the injury. If it completely torn, the could brace him, DH him for awhile. However, he would probably need surgery by the end of August to be ready for next season.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. This wasnt a case of him going for the ball awkwardly or trying to put his foot on the wall. This was him making a good aggressive play for the ball. If Tilson wasnt there it wouldnt have been an issue. This was a communication issue not a bad outfield play issue like the knee injury.

Yeah this was much more in an inexperience play than a ‘Whoa what in God’s green earth is he doing out there’ 

27 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm not a Doctor, but does every elbow injury now have to involve Tommy John Surgery? I agree, can't the White Sox just elect not to do it?

33 minutes ago, flavum said:

Engel leading off for Charlotte today. Robert not in the lineup, but I don't think he's coming up. 

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Engel, Palka, Escobar, and Mendick all in the lineup

Wow....this is interesting.  

Goins not in the lineup either tho, so I'd guess it'll be him.

29 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah this was much more in an inexperience play than a ‘Whoa what in God’s green earth is he doing out there’ 

I watched the play several times Tilson was the only one who had a shot he also is the one who has the priority because he plays CF.

This injury is a result of Eloy not doing his job which is to backup Tilson once he calls for the ball.

32 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Any news yet? 

5 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I watched the play several times Tilson was the only one who had a shot he also is the one who has the priority because he plays CF.

This injury is a result of Eloy not doing his job which is to backup Tilson once he calls for the ball.

It depends. If he didn't hear him, and Tilson also admitted he called for it late, it is just an unfortunate occurrence.  It didn't appear Eloy was going to make the play but it looked like he was calling for it as well, so it could be a case where he just couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Too bad this isn't 16 inch softball. They could move Eloy to catcher and call it a day.

Edited by Dick Allen

43 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's his throwing arm so it will depend on the extent of the injury. If it completely torn, the could brace him, DH him for awhile. However, he would probably need surgery by the end of August to be ready for next season.

20 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I'm not a Doctor, but does every elbow injury now have to involve Tommy John Surgery? I agree, can't the White Sox just elect not to do it?

I'm saying to not do the surgery at all. Let him rest and try to recover on his own. I'm not concerned about his long term prospects in right field. I'm concerned he has the surgery and never quite recovers ala Micker Adolfo. 

Let's just hope it something fairly minor anyway and that this is all moot. 

Edited by OneDog847

12 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm saying to not do the surgery at all. Let him rest and try to recover on his own. I'm not concerned about his long term prospects in right field. I'm concerned he has the surgery and never quite recovers ala Micker Adolfo. 

Let's just hope it something fairly minor anyway and that this is all moot. 

I completely agree with you!!

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It depends. If he didn't hear him, and Tilson also admitted he called for it late, it is just an unfortunate occurrence.  It didn't appear Eloy was going to make the play but it looked like he was calling for it as well, so it could be a case where he just couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Too bad this isn't 16 inch softball. They could move Eloy to catcher and call it a day.

DH? 

2 minutes ago, Moncada said:

DH? 

No. Making him a full time DH  at his agehas to be a last resort scenerio. Even Frank Thomas played the field longer. If it was 16 inch softball, a catcher just has to throw the ball back and has plays at the plate, and he can't be bowled over.