Eloy going on IL

fathom

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so someone keeps saying this...

Both of Eloy's injuries are the kind of thing that should be limited by effective coaches working with these outfielders. 

Yep there is no way Eloy should have been there. For one he had no play on the ball and two Tilson was already calling for it.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, GradMc said:

What an indictment of an absolute incompetent FO.

Or perhaps it's P.T. Barnum 2.0 pulling the strings that make them look so incompetent.

But whatever it  is,  it's not impacting their financial bottom line.

This is a silly comment

6 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

This is a silly comment

Oh really?  Which part?  The part where he referred to the FO as incompetent, or the one where he pointed out that the financial bottom line would not be impacted?  Nothing silly about either observation, it would appear.  So what did you mean?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 3:14 AM, wrathofhahn said:

Yep there is no way Eloy should have been there. For one he had no play on the ball and two Tilson was already calling for it.

Um, he absolutely had a play on the ball as they collided when they both met when the ball was caught.   And Tilson himself said he didn't call off Eloy soon enough, you can see in the replay that Eloy is calling multiple times.

eloy is an absolute butcher out there but I don't think he is totally at fault here, I definitely think Tilson was late calling it.  Hell, that might be why he was sent down since his defense has been suspect at best and laughable at worst this season

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Um, he absolutely had a play on the ball as they collided when they both met when the ball was caught.   And Tilson himself said he didn't call off Eloy soon enough, you can see in the replay that Eloy is calling multiple times.

eloy is an absolute butcher out there but I don't think he is totally at fault here, I definitely think Tilson was late calling it.  Hell, that might be why he was sent down since his defense has been suspect at best and laughable at worst this season

Eloy was clearly calling for it and in position to probably make the catch when Tilson comes barrelling in late and didn't Tilson admit he called it late?

Having Robert in CF is going to solve a lot of Eloy's problems in LF.  Just pin him to the line, tell him to make every play in front of him when he sees the flash of Robert to his left GTFO of the way.

• Like 1

Eloy is still developing physically. He seems to be adding muscle mass rather than fat.

His skills as an outfielder seem to be improving, even during the short time he has been in the majors.  Eloy has made plays at the outfield wall that were aided because of his height and reach. He has made numerous plays on balls hit in front of him where he slide to get them and

IMO,  it is ridiculous to conclude that Eloy will not develop into a serviceable outfielder given his age and physical make-up. He is not a stocky dude like Schwarber or Viciedo and never will be.  He is going to be our left fielder for many years but that won't stop some including  cub fans from trying to diss him every time he makes an error or sustains a bruise.  Come on people, Eloy is a gaddamn stud....the prototypical  LFer who can rake but isn't going to be get every ball or have the arm of a RFer.

Eloy and Robert will make a dynamic outfield combo for YEARS to come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy is still developing physically. He seems to be adding muscle mass rather than fat.

His skills as an outfielder seem to be improving, even during the short time he has been in the majors.  Eloy has made plays at the outfield wall that were aided because of his height and reach. He has made numerous plays on balls hit in front of him where he slide to get them and

IMO,  it is ridiculous to conclude that Eloy will not develop into a serviceable outfielder given his age and physical make-up. He is not a stocky dude like Schwarber or Viciedo and never will be.  He is going to be our left fielder for many years but that won't stop some including  cub fans from trying to diss him every time he makes an error or sustains a bruise.  Come on people, Eloy is a gaddamn stud....the prototypical  LFer who can rake but isn't going to be get every ball or have the arm of a RFer.

Eloy and Robert will make a dynamic outfield combo for YEARS to come.

The problem is that he’s not a good outfielder and he doesn’t have the arm of Hunter Renfroe or Avi to make up for it.

He’s actually more like a cross between Franmil Reyes and a younger Nelson Cruz with the Rangers.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I watched the play again in slo mo. He had zero chance to get to the ball.

Edited by wrathofhahn

On 7/17/2019 at 4:50 PM, bighurt574 said:

Maybe a dumb question, but if they can work out an extension with Robert similar to Eloy's, there's really nothing lost by bringing him up in August or September this year, right?  I guess they'd lose some leverage on negotiating that extension in the offseason.  

If an extension could be reached in the offseason...it could be reached now.  Reasonable people are needed on both sides of the negotiation.  Both sides want him up yesterday.  Both sides don't want to lose millions for a few months of somewhat meaningless games.  An actuary could work out the numbers that would be fair to everyone.  Baseball has become annoying with all the contract crap that needs to be worked through.  Some people say Robert has so much money that he doesn't need to sign an extension.  JR has lots more money and he doesn't need Robert on the White Sox in order to eat well himself.  In other words...neither side is going to get what they want because of economic advantage.  They will get what they both want by negotiating in good faith with each other.

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

If an extension could be reached in the offseason...it could be reached now.  Reasonable people are needed on both sides of the negotiation.  Both sides want him up yesterday.  Both sides don't want to lose millions for a few months of somewhat meaningless games.  An actuary could work out the numbers that would be fair to everyone.  Baseball has become annoying with all the contract crap that needs to be worked through.  Some people say Robert has so much money that he doesn't need to sign an extension.  JR has lots more money and he doesn't need Robert on the White Sox in order to eat well himself.  In other words...neither side is going to get what they want because of economic advantage.  They will get what they both want by negotiating in good faith with each other.

Yes.  Nice post.  There’s so much more to it than the simple thought of “don’t burn his service time in a meaningless couple of months”.  There’s sooooooo much more to it than that. 

Edited by Jerksticks

Eloy was getting more comfortable in LF. The latest incident looked a little bit of a fluke. He needs to play a little smarter out there. Sometimes a guy shows up and you wonder if they have any coaches in the minors. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pcq said:

Eloy was getting more comfortable in LF. The latest incident looked a little bit of a fluke. He needs to play a little smarter out there. Sometimes a guy shows up and you wonder if they have any coaches in the minors. 

He had that incident in the wall in what April? He's looked real awkward out there at times this injury though just makes me angry because it was totally avoidable if he just listened to his CF. Also had Tilson not made the play Eloy didn't put himself in position where he could have backed him up.

Anyways what done is done I hope they are still having him do work in the outfield even with the injury. He needs to get much more comfortable out there.

16 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sure

?. I can't find a video anywhere online of it but if someone does and posts a slow motion replay of it you will see Eloy was not going to get to the ball.

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

How to call for the ball seems pretty basic for major league outfielders.  It seems this is a recurring problem year after year.  Why?

I think the problem is guys who aren't very good fielders and who aren't too sure of themselves when this happens. It doesn't happen when Engel is out there.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, Dick Allen said:

I think the problem is guys who aren't very good fielders and who aren't too sure of themselves when this happens. It doesn't happen when Engel is out there.

I think partly it is also because with Bad fielders the CF assumes the corner guy will bail and let him catch it.

When I still played and played in the OF (I was more of a DH/1b) it was pretty clear i only take balls toward the line or max 3-4  steps toward CF and anything more into the gap the CF tries to get and I get out of the way.

So if a CF plays with a weaker fielder he often assumes the weaker fielder won't even try to get there when it is more than a couple steps away from it.

Still this isn't good of course, you should still call as early as possible but I can understand a CF thinking "shit, ball into the gap, need to turn on the wheels because the big guy won't get there" so he will just put his head down and sprint to the ball as hard as possible while with a good corner guy like lets say adam Eaton you expect that he can get there and thus you pay more attention to the communication.