MLB Discussing an INTL Draft (Possibly by 2020) per Ben Badler

Sleepy Harold

Good. I can see the snag being the hard slotting. But not crazy about the division idea but I get why they don’t want it to be record based as well as am glad it’s not some bullcrap market size Thing.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good. I can see the snag being the hard slotting. But not crazy about the division idea but I get why they don’t want it to be record based as well as am glad it’s not some bullcrap market size Thing.

I like most of it. I love the ability to trade picks. I do not like the division thing for potential pick order, seems dumb for random chance to draft a potential Moncada/Robert. I can see where going off overall record could be an issue with regards to teams tanking on purpose. It would have been nice to have the Sox get 3 top 4 picks in the International Draft the last 6 years though. If not based upon overall record (I think it should be this way) why not just have all non-playoff teams (20) be in a lottery for the top 20 picks, then seed the last 10 based off of finish in the playoffs/overall record.

52 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I like most of it. I love the ability to trade picks. I do not like the division thing for potential pick order, seems dumb for random chance to draft a potential Moncada/Robert. I can see where going off overall record could be an issue with regards to teams tanking on purpose. It would have been nice to have the Sox get 3 top 4 picks in the International Draft the last 6 years though. If not based upon overall record (I think it should be this way) why not just have all non-playoff teams (20) be in a lottery for the top 20 picks, then seed the last 10 based off of finish in the playoffs/overall record.

I’m assuming the pushback there could truly be preparation from the scouting dept and being familiar on where they will be drafting for longer to reasonably deploy their resources.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m assuming the pushback there could truly be preparation from the scouting dept and being familiar on where they will be drafting for longer to reasonably deploy their resources.

I mean it would give them like 10 months to scout when they know exactly where their pick would be if you just do the lottery at the end of the season and the draft in August like was suggested. Plus, they already have to scout kids from the age of 13 with all the early agreements, so being able to concentrate for a year at a time on guys would probably be easier than what they are doing now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I mean it would give them like 10 months to scout when they know exactly where their pick would be if you just do the lottery at the end of the season and the draft in August like was suggested. Plus, they already have to scout kids from the age of 13 with all the early agreements, so being able to concentrate for a year at a time on guys would probably be easier than what they are doing now.

You are right, lol I think I was thinking the NBA timeline in my head of only a few months.

Division is terrible. How do your sort it in division once you've settled on what division goes first?

Either do a lottery or do that terrible idea I had awhile ago where there's a minor league playoff to dictate order. 

Your minor league team is made of 5 AAA, 5 AA, 5 A+, 5 A-, 5 R players. No MLB experience. Since they're ditching September call-ups it's fine.

I kind of like some combination of division and record. For example having it be a random order of the 6 divisions, but have the first 6 picks be the last place team in each division. That would make it so bad teams get better picks while also not necessarily giving the top pick to the same team that has the #1 domestic draft pick. It would also hopefully decrease the amount of times there are multiple teams in the same division tanking at the same time because if you finish second you automatically miss out on the top 6 picks. Also with how important winning your division is for the playoffs, it would hopefully make division races tighter.

The other way to do it would be instead of having the worst team in each position pick first that the divisions would be ordered by out of division record so it shows how good or bad the division really is.

23 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I kind of like some combination of division and record. For example having it be a random order of the 6 divisions, but have the first 6 picks be the last place team in each division. That would make it so bad teams get better picks while also not necessarily giving the top pick to the same team that has the #1 domestic draft pick. It would also hopefully decrease the amount of times there are multiple teams in the same division tanking at the same time because if you finish second you automatically miss out on the top 6 picks. Also with how important winning your division is for the playoffs, it would hopefully make division races tighter.

The other way to do it would be instead of having the worst team in each position pick first that the divisions would be ordered by out of division record so it shows how good or bad the division really is.

I like this a lot