Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

7/18/19 - Sox/Royals Gamethread

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

27th In ERA, 29th in fielding, 23rd In OPS but probably end up getting passed by KC and StL by the end of the day (718 vs 717) to fall to 25th

Actually 14th In batting average, highlighting the weakness of that measure 

But just 28th In runs scored...

Batting average means nothing.  The important stat is Runs Scored.

Theoretically, you can have 6 hits in an inning, and not score a run and your batting average for the inning would be 1.000.

So glad Rick gave them a relaxed schedule coming out of the Athletics series it really did wonders.  I'm tired of having a moronic baby sitter as a manager.  Joe Girardi is tanned rested and ready.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

As long as the guys who matter continue to play well, I couldn't care less about their record. 

Hope like hell you aren't making comments like this again this time next year. 

39 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Batting average means nothing.  The important stat is Runs Scored.

Theoretically, you can have 6 hits in an inning, and not score a run and your batting average for the inning would be 1.000.

Correct.

And the Sox are notorious for loading the bases with no outs and scoring 1 run or less. 

Edited by GradMc

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So glad Rick gave them a relaxed schedule coming out of the Athletics series it really did wonders.  I'm tired of having a moronic baby sitter as a manager.  Joe Girardi is tanned rested and ready.

Girardi be taking over for Maddon when the Cubs fail to win the WS this year.

Given how St. Theo treated Renteria, he's probably already told Joe the job is his.

No accomplished manager will be taking over for two reasons:

(1) Reinsdorf is not paying.

(2) Don Cooper has to be retained.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Given how St. Theo treated Renteria, he's probably already told Joe the job is his.

Cooper needs a promotion out of this job.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, GradMc said:

I'd be perfectly happy if the Sox were consistently in the bottom half of the league in manager salary. 

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Hope like hell you aren't making comments like this again this time next year. 

Of course. They better be ready to rock and roll next year. Anything less than 80 wins in 2020 is a failure. 

2020 is a quasi-development year where they should be developing players and contending simultaneously. I'm ok if they fall just short of a wild card but I do expect them to be at least .500

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He almost is as fast as Durham, but he just doesn’t like to steal bases.   Not cool to play the game that way anymore, I guess.  

Robert probably ends up the same way, too much fear of injuries.

That's a pretty good point. I didn't think about that about why fast guys aren't stealing bases, but you probably are right. Not cool and could pull a hammy on the plant and take-off.

One positive is they haven't brought up Paulo Orlando yet. That's going to be a fun day if Jay and Orlando are in the same lineup.

Lifetime MLB totals

Adam Engel -0.6 fWAR

Charlie Tilson -0.8 fWAR

Ryan Cordell -0.8 fWAR

Trayce Thompson +0.4 fWAR

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course. They better be ready to rock and roll next year. Anything less than 80 wins in 2020 is a failure. 

2020 is a quasi-development year where they should be developing players and contending simultaneously. I'm ok if they fall just short of a wild card but I do expect them to be at least .500

I agree that 81 wins-500  should be the goal next year. But that would not be contending for a WC.  Probably 92-94 would be WC territory. 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the part of the program when someone comes in and says, " Rebuilds are not linear.  You don't go from 60 to 70 to 80 wins, etc."

The Rays playing a doubleheader and getting back home at 3am might be the Sox best chance for a win tomorrow night.😀

This is not hyperbole question. Considering how pathetic the Royals are, was this four-game sweep one of the five most embarrassing series in Chicago White Sox history? Somebody should be fired tonight. I guess since it was on the road, maybe not. If it was in Chicago, for sure. I still think it could be one of the worst series in franchise history.

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is not hyperbole question. Considering how pathetic the Royals are, was this four-game sweep one of the five most embarrassing series in Chicago White Sox history? Somebody should be fired tonight. I guess since it was on the road, maybe not. If it was in Chicago, for sure. I still think it could be one of the worst series in franchise history.

July 6, 2007 - The Minnesota Twins scored 32 runs and hammered eight home runs in a day / night twin bill at U.S. Cellular Field winning 20-14 and 12-0. It was a low point for a franchise that was World Series champions less than two years earlier.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

July 6, 2007 - The Minnesota Twins scored 32 runs and hammered eight home runs in a day / night twin bill at U.S. Cellular Field winning 20-14 and 12-0. It was a low point for a franchise that was World Series champions less than two years earlier.

Yes but was that a four game sweep was my question.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Yes but was that a four game sweep was my question.

It was a four game series split but that doesn't take away from how bad that DH was.