Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)

Jose Abreu

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)
Just now, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

C'mon Jose... AJ Reed and Ryan Goins not cuttin it for you?

Could be an innocent comment taken out of context/translation as well.

It probably is out of context. Regardless, many have wondered whether the service time games bother players who want to win. When one of the most reserved and respected players on the team says this, even if it's not perfectly in context, it clearly shows that they don't like it. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It probably is out of context. Regardless, many have wondered whether the service time games bother players who want to win. When one of the most reserved and respected players on the team says this, even if it's not perfectly in context, it clearly shows that they don't like it. 

Well of course they don't like it.  I am sure Jose would prefer to have his fellow Cuban up playing games with him.  But Jose is making $16M this season to play a game.  He should probably just keep his mouth shut*.

*I didn't hear the quote directly, and its entirely possible that things were lost in translation / taken out of context, and Jose didn't really mean what some are making it out to be. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well of course they don't like it.  I am sure Jose would prefer to have his fellow Cuban up playing games with him.  But Jose is making $16M this season to play a game.  He should probably just keep his mouth shut*.

*I didn't hear the quote directly, and its entirely possible that things were lost in translation / taken out of context, and Jose didn't really mean what some are making it out to be. 

I guess I meant to say "whether they dislike it enough to actually comment on it publicly", and more in reference to White Sox players than the entire league. I don't remember anyone saying stuff like this last summer with Eloy, for example 

You know what, I get wanting the extra service time out of Robert and keeping him down because if he does what he can, you are looking at superstar money that the Sox will probably not pay.  Plus, money wise he does not really have a complaint with the bonus he was paid.

But Madrigal will not get superstar money, so let's bring him up now and get him acclimated to the Major Leagues.  His glove will play now, he would be something to watch the rest of the year, and Yolmer can watch over the Gatorade jug just in case we win another game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

On one hand he's right.  On the other hand he's sitting on .7 fWAR and has an OBP below 310.  He without sin cast the first stone.

This is pretty lame.   We all know Abreu is a leader in the clubhouse, nobody is gonna be like "dude your obp sucks this year you can't talk to me like that"

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Maybe Jose is tired of the non-stop losing. Maybe is tired of following an incompetent and bunt happy manager. Maybe he is tired of Rick Hahn using a bunch of big words to say nothing at all at every press conference.  Maybe he is tired of the tanking. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Maybe Jose is tired of the non-stop losing. Maybe is tired of following an incompetent and bunt happy manager. Maybe he is tired of Rick Hahn using a bunch of big words to say nothing at all at every press conference.  Maybe he is tired of the tanking. 

It's because Jose isn't looking at the long term as Rick Hahn would say. Give it a decade. Then we'll be in Portland. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I... I like that from Abreu. Not sure I want him here after next season (mostly cause Renteria will continue to bat him 3rd and play 1B when he shouldn't be down the line), but I him saying that.

I like it to from Abreu, but besides Robert, who else is he referring to?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I like it to from Abreu, but besides Robert, who else is he referring to?

I mean, I honestly believe Madrigal would be a minor step up from Yolmer at this point. But yeah, Idk

Edited by mqr

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand why you would want him to shut up. He's a competitor and actually wants to win, not this tank b.s. Plus if he has to hear the trade rumors all the time, he might as well go out in a blaze of glory. Look ... he plays for one of the worst organizations in all of sports. A major market team claiming poor. I applaud him. keep talkin Jose. If the media hasn't been so decimated by layoffs, etc., we would have been  having some controversial stories about the White Sox long ago. Just my take.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is pretty lame.   We all know Abreu is a leader in the clubhouse, nobody is gonna be like "dude your obp sucks this year you can't talk to me like that"

I'm talking from a fan's perspective, obviously.  As a fan I appreciate that he's impatient to win, we all are.  On the other hand, as a fan I also see a guy in steep decline who should probably already be traded and replaced by a younger option.   He's part of the problem currently is what I'm saying.  He's been worth negative fWAR since May.

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Probably the first time I've ever agreed with one of Kyyle23's posts. Jose made the all star team again but that matters not to most advanced stat lovers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm talking from a fan's perspective, obviously.  As a fan I appreciate that he's impatient to win, we all are.  On the other hand, as a fan I also see a guy in steep decline who should probably already be traded and replaced by a younger option.   He's part of the problem currently is what I'm saying.  He's been worth negative fWAR since May.

I would buy a beer to anybody who would examine all the teams in the AL and use all your advanced stats and give me a list of all the players on each team you deem productive and/or worth keeping even 2 more seasons. Steep decline, huh? A lot of traditional stat people would disagree and said he had a fine first half. Are these first 7 games of the second half proof of his sudden steep decline?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I would buy a beer to anybody who would examine all the teams in the AL and use all your advanced stats and give me a list of all the players on each team you deem productive and/or worth keeping even 2 more seasons. Steep decline, huh? A lot of traditional stat people would disagree and said he had a fine first half. Are these first 7 games of the second half proof of his sudden steep decline?

Here's something for your peanut brain to consider:

which way is that list trending?  That's his batting average, a not very advanced stat.

• Like 2