Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)

Jose Abreu

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's baseball.  Guys get hurt.  So where's the depth?  They are way to far into this thing to have so little talent.  Today's lineup in an absolute joke.

July 18th 2014

Coghlan          Altuve

Alcantara        Castro

Rizzo                Springer

Castro              Carter

Valbuena          Dominguez

Ruggiano          Singleton

Sweeney          Grossman

Castillo             Hernandez

Hoes

Those are dog ass lineups. Those teams would both go to the playoffs the next season. I count 4 people that would be on their respective WS teams. One of which was let go and reacquainted. The lineup today is irrelevant  

Edited by mqr

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Comparing this to the Cubs and Astros rebuild is not going to end well for you.

Doubt the ability to pull it off all you want, but it’s blatantly obvious that’s the blueprint they’re following so sweating a random line up in a year they have explicitly said they don’t care about winning baseball games is pointless

12 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Well, Abreu, It's been a slice.  See you on some other team by the end of the month.  Sorry Rick Hahan sucked so bad at his job while you were here.

It's pretty weak when some peeps on here assume Jose is gone after one tell it like it is statement. If they are so sensitive they can't be criticized I hope Jose blasts the front office and Jerry so badly on the way out of town. Caveat: I'm assuming you meant jose is gone cause he ripped Hahn. ... any chance the Cubs or Brewers want him? I'd like to see him close to Chicago.

Edited by greg775

Jose is the guy who doesn't want to DH, despite it being better for the team. We actively put better fielding 1st basemen in the DH slot for his satisfaction. His bum ass can get out there and learn to field better or start DHing if he wants what is best for the team. 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

It's pretty weak when some peeps on here assume Jose is gone after one tell it like it is statement. If they are so sensitive they can't be criticized I hope Jose blasts the front office and Jerry so badly on the way out of town. Caveat: I'm assuming you meant jose is gone cause he ripped Hahn.

I could certainly see it happening.

Time for me to defend Abreu, AGAIN. First about the frequently stated idea that Abreu is in an obvious decline is just wrong. But it's been said on here so often that many people just accept it as fact, when there is no fact to it at all, none. The guy who brought up the batting averages is just using that stat because it fits this continued false narrative that Abreu is in decline. Steve Stone has said over and over during the telecasts that Abreu has made the conscious decision to sacrifice his batting average to drive in more runs. 

And you know what?  It's working. The most RBIs he has ever had are 107 in a season, he has 68 already and 63 at the all-star break (If I remember correctly). He's basically on pace to get a 120 RBIs. Clearly his best RBI season in his career. Is that the evidence of a guy clearly in decline?  No way. 

I wanted to throw in doubles as another example of his increased power, but too much math comparing the doubles year by year, so I'm gonna use total bases as another example of him having his best year EVER. Before this year, his best year ever for total bases was 343 in 2017. He already has 187 total bases. Let's be conservative and say he only gets 160 more bases the rest of the year, he will still break his all-time record. Does that sort of thing happen to guys in decline? Of course not. 

And you guys how talk about his lack of range on defense, such an abstract, unprovable thing. Let's talk about how he's scooping up bad throws better than he ever has and throws very well for a 1st baseman, again, Steve Stone mentions that all the time, how good he is throwing to 2nd and 3rd. So he's not declining defensively either. 

Also, I am so tired of this "He's an average 1st baseman" stuff. He's not. Do average players represent the AL at the All-star game?  He was an all-star 1st baseman this year; he was one last year, and he'll be one next year as a White Sox

Another thing that somewhat cracks me up is the irony of people on here suggesting that Abreu should just shut up or play or implying that he has no right to his opinion because he's part of the problem. Jose is saying exactly the same thing that 95% of the people on this board are saying: he's upset with a whole lot of the wtf personal moves by management. Isn't that exactly what we all have been saying pretty much this entire year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is something you say when you know you're getting traded and you're not coming back. Nobody's criticizing the FO unless they know they have a one way ticket out of town. 

It’s also something you might say when you’re very well respected and feel you can get away with it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is something you say when you know you're getting traded and you're not coming back. Nobody's criticizing the FO unless they know they have a one way ticket out of town. 

Do you really believe this?  Or are you just blowing off steam?  I can't believe you think this is true. 

I think Abreu has earned the right with management to voice his frustration; I would like to think Hahn and crew are not this petty. Now, I could be wrong and the tank could start tomorrow and I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Abreu, Colomen and whoever gone. But if we worked in the same office and were talking in the break room, I would bet you big bucks and give you pretty good odds that Abreu will be with the White Sox the next couple years. 

Edited by vilehoopster

9 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Time for me to defend Abreu, AGAIN. First about the frequently stated idea that Abreu is in an obvious decline is just wrong. But it's been said on here so often that many people just accept it as fact, when there is no fact to it at all, none. The guy who brought up the batting averages is just using that stat because it fits this continued false narrative that Abreu is in decline. Steve Stone has said over and over during the telecasts that Abreu has made the conscious decision to sacrifice his batting average to drive in more runs. 

And you know what?  It's working. The most RBIs he has ever had are 107 in a season, he has 68 already and 63 at the all-star break (If I remember correctly). He's basically on pace to get a 120 RBIs. Clearly his best RBI season in his career. Is that the evidence of a guy clearly in decline?  No way. 

I wanted to throw in doubles as another example of his increased power, but too much math comparing the doubles year by year, so I'm gonna use total bases as another example of him having his best year EVER. Before this year, his best year ever for total bases was 343 in 2017. He already has 187 total bases. Let's be conservative and say he only gets 160 more bases the rest of the year, he will still break his all-time record. Does that sort of thing happen to guys in decline? Of course not. 

And you guys how talk about his lack of range on defense, such an abstract, unprovable thing. Let's talk about how he's scooping up bad throws better than he ever has and throws very well for a 1st baseman, again, Steve Stone mentions that all the time, how good he is throwing to 2nd and 3rd. So he's not declining defensively either. 

Also, I am so tired of this "He's an average 1st baseman" stuff. He's not. Do average players represent the AL at the All-star game?  He was an all-star 1st baseman this year; he was one last year, and he'll be one next year as a White Sox

Another thing that somewhat cracks me up is the irony of people on here suggesting that Abreu should just shut up or play or implying that he has no right to his opinion because he's part of the problem. Jose is saying exactly the same thing that 95% of the people on this board are saying: he's upset with a whole lot of the wtf personal moves by management. Isn't that exactly what we all have been saying pretty much this entire year?

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Nope, in fact, I have always felt that Jeter is the most overrated shortstop and maybe even the most overrated player in the history of baseball. If it weren't for the fact that he was a Yankee . . . 

Look past your nose Jose might be the most over-rated player in recent Sox history.  Mercy.