Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

It would be like Williams to do something like that.

Kenny isn't this dumb. His team loves Abreu and he is the unquestioned leader. The only reason Hahn and Kenny are getting passes is because this is a rebuild. People stopped talking about the Manny fiasco because we were fighting for .500. 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

You know what, I get wanting the extra service time out of Robert and keeping him down because if he does what he can, you are looking at superstar money that the Sox will probably not pay.  Plus, money wise he does not really have a complaint with the bonus he was paid.

But Madrigal will not get superstar money, so let's bring him up now and get him acclimated to the Major Leagues.  His glove will play now, he would be something to watch the rest of the year, and Yolmer can watch over the Gatorade jug just in case we win another 

I think the whole payroll thing will be changing before Robert time's arrives.... 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Here's something for your peanut brain to consider:

which way is that list trending?  That's his batting average, a not very advanced stat.

You left out the year in the middle. His BA is trending up after last year and he is on pace to hit 37 HR( as of today). That would be a career high. He also could end up w a career year in stolen bases. He only needs 2 more.  Hopefully RR will give him more green lights. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kenny isn't this dumb. His team loves Abreu and he is the unquestioned leader. The only reason Hahn and Kenny are getting passes is because this is a rebuild. People stopped talking about the Manny fiasco because we were fighting for .500. 

The Sox have been in rebuild mode since 1982

13 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Robert just hit another bomb FYI. ;)

If he keeps this pace up for another week or two I don’t know how Hahn can look someone straight in the face and say he needs to work on something down in AAA. Dude is just a stud.

9 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If he keeps this pace up for another week or two I don’t know how Hahn can look someone straight in the face and say he needs to work on something down in AAA. Dude is just a stud.

We want to give Cordell an extended look so it wouldn't be fair to bring up Robert now.

The point of his statement is not that he's some baseball god whose play is unquestionable. It's that he's trying his hardest, however good that is, to win. He seems to be wondering whether the Sox are trying their hardest, which is a reasonable question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Time for me to defend Abreu, AGAIN. First about the frequently stated idea that Abreu is in an obvious decline is just wrong. But it's been said on here so often that many people just accept it as fact, when there is no fact to it at all, none. The guy who brought up the batting averages is just using that stat because it fits this continued false narrative that Abreu is in decline. Steve Stone has said over and over during the telecasts that Abreu has made the conscious decision to sacrifice his batting average to drive in more runs. 

And you know what?  It's working. The most RBIs he has ever had are 107 in a season, he has 68 already and 63 at the all-star break (If I remember correctly). He's basically on pace to get a 120 RBIs. Clearly his best RBI season in his career. Is that the evidence of a guy clearly in decline?  No way. 

I wanted to throw in doubles as another example of his increased power, but too much math comparing the doubles year by year, so I'm gonna use total bases as another example of him having his best year EVER. Before this year, his best year ever for total bases was 343 in 2017. He already has 187 total bases. Let's be conservative and say he only gets 160 more bases the rest of the year, he will still break his all-time record. Does that sort of thing happen to guys in decline? Of course not. 

And you guys how talk about his lack of range on defense, such an abstract, unprovable thing. Let's talk about how he's scooping up bad throws better than he ever has and throws very well for a 1st baseman, again, Steve Stone mentions that all the time, how good he is throwing to 2nd and 3rd. So he's not declining defensively either. 

Also, I am so tired of this "He's an average 1st baseman" stuff. He's not. Do average players represent the AL at the All-star game?  He was an all-star 1st baseman this year; he was one last year, and he'll be one next year as a White Sox

Another thing that somewhat cracks me up is the irony of people on here suggesting that Abreu should just shut up or play or implying that he has no right to his opinion because he's part of the problem. Jose is saying exactly the same thing that 95% of the people on this board are saying: he's upset with a whole lot of the wtf personal moves by management. Isn't that exactly what we all have been saying pretty much this entire year?

I keep hearing from peeps that nobody hates Jose on here; nobody is against Jose. I dunno. The anti-Jose sentiment (to me) is growing on the board. Lotta negativity regarding a class act, Jose Abreu. I love u Jose! And I love Vile! Great posts. Vile still seems like my alter ego!

I love that Jose ripped the front office. The front office wants to lose; he wants to win. You can't win with the stiffs that pervade our roster. Thanks Vile for looking that stuff up! Jose fan club baby!

Edited by greg775

43 minutes ago, Jake said:

The point of his statement is not that he's some baseball god whose play is unquestionable. It's that he's trying his hardest, however good that is, to win. He seems to be wondering whether the Sox are trying their hardest, which is a reasonable question.

They aren't. Plain and simple. It's very obvious that the front office has zero desire to do that right now. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I keep hearing from peeps that nobody hates Jose on here; nobody is against Jose. I dunno. The anti-Jose sentiment (to me) is growing on the board. Lotta negativity regarding a class act, Jose Abreu. I love u Jose! And I love Vile! Great posts. Vile still seems like my alter ego!

I love that Jose ripped the front office. The front office wants to lose; he wants to win. You can't win with the stiffs that pervade our roster. Thanks Vile for looking that stuff up! Jose fan club baby!

Nobody here hates abreu. We are just trying to be realistic about him

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Do you really believe this?  Or are you just blowing off steam?  I can't believe you think this is true. 

I think Abreu has earned the right with management to voice his frustration; I would like to think Hahn and crew are not this petty. Now, I could be wrong and the tank could start tomorrow and I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Abreu, Colomen and whoever gone. But if we worked in the same office and were talking in the break room, I would bet you big bucks and give you pretty good odds that Abreu will be with the White Sox the next couple years. 

I didn't believe it until Abreu opened his mouth. Kenny is the Chief Petty Officer of the Sox, so if he takes it personally, then Jose just bought himself a one way ticket out of town. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Exactly. It's really not much deeper than this. You don't have to be Mike Trout to question whether you're being put in the best position to win, especially in the midst of a 6th consecutive losing season 

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Exactly. It's really not much deeper than this. You don't have to be Mike Trout to question whether you're being put in the best position to win, especially in the midst of a 6th consecutive losing season 

He's a FA at the of the year.  He can thank Curtis Flood for the chance to put his money where his mouth is.   Although he's talkin' out both sides of his mouth at the moment.  He sounds like a guy going through a bad breakup honestly.  He can't decide if he loves the bish or she's holding him back.  

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a FA at the of the year.  He can thank Curtis Flood for the chance to put his money where his mouth is.   Although he's talkin' out both sides of his mouth at the moment.  He sounds like a guy going through a bad breakup honestly.  He can't decide if he loves the bish or she's holding him back.  

It's kind of sad. Hos postgame comments that after that one game were something you'd hear from a bitter ex

Adam Dunn

Conor Gillaspie

Melky Cabrera

Adam Laroche

Matt Davidson

Daniel Palka

Avasail Garcia

Todd Frazier

Yonder Alonso

That has been Jose Abreus protection for his time in the Majors...The fact that he has put up some semi respectable numbers with that shit filth that ownership has given this team is fucking comendable.   Re-sign that man and give him a fucking team to play for....

Edited by TheBlackSox8

Just now, TheBlackSox8 said:

Adam Dunn

Conor Gillaspie

Melky Cabrera

Adam Laroche

Matt Davidson

Daniel Palka

Avasail Garcia

Todd Frazier

Yonder Alonso

That has been Jose Abreus protection for his time in the Majors...The fact that he has put up some semi respectable numbers with that shit filth that ownership has given this team is fucking comendable.   

Thanks for looking that up!! And the advanced stat lovers do believe in lineup protection! That's one of the tenets of advance stat-dom. What do they say to that?? True I love Avi and Davidson, but hardly anybody else on the board does. THANK U!!! Avi forever.

54 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's pretty simple to me. He wants to stay and will probably take a cheap deal to do so, but at the same time he's frustrated with how slow the process is, because he knows what it's heading towards and he's getting impatient