Abreu unhappy with roster decisions (seems to want Luis Robert up)

Jose Abreu

Without actually hearing his comment and knowing the context its hard to make a judgment out of this. Was his voice angry when he said it? Was it matter-of-fact like? was he being sarcastic? Also what was the reporters question that led to this?

But based just on the printed word, it seems he was talking about Robert and possibly Madrigal since the Sox really don't have anybody else worth bringing up and I don't think Sox players really follow the lower minor leagues in the first place.

Another thing to consider were his comments from a few weeks ago where he talked about 'if he were the owner, he'd resign him...' Maybe the Sox haven't done much or anything in this direction and he's starting to get frustrated (as well as with the losing...)

Maybe Mercedes?  That guy has been pretty good offensively in his minor career, specifically this year.  With shaky defense there are questions there, however, the guy has proven to me that he should be called up at least on the offensive end...but with no call up he must be brutal at catcher...however they keep throwing him there so, so I dunno.

Any other pitchers shown any reason to be called up besides some of the dredge we've seen?

5 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Maybe Mercedes?  That guy has been pretty good offensively in his minor career, specifically this year.  With shaky defense there are questions there, however, the guy has proven to me that he should be called up at least on the offensive end...but with no call up he must be brutal at catcher...however they keep throwing him there so, so I dunno.

Any other pitchers shown any reason to be called up besides some of the dredge we've seen?

I doubt it. Tilson was optioned, not DFA'd. They would need to open another 40-man spot to get him up here.

Phil Rogers tonight is Tweeting that the Red Sox are looking at Jose'. That Dave Dombrowski has "long admired him." Rogers also said Jose' may be the "most impactful bat" on the market if the Sox are willing to deal him but his value as a rental is "limited."

19 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

well...no.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Phil Rogers tonight is Tweeting that the Red Sox are looking at Jose'. That Dave Dombrowski has "long admired him." Rogers also said Jose' may be the "most impactful bat" on the market if the Sox are willing to deal him but his value as a rental is "limited."

Domingo Santana has cooled quite a bit which helps Jose's value.  They need to deal him and if he really wants he can return at a discount in the offseason.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Makes sense. Dombrowski knows a key addition when he sees one. And forget about Jose coming back in free agency. That will not happen. Good for the Red Sox. They get a heckuva addition in Jose. Professional in all ways. He'll be a postseason terror.

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

On one hand he's right.  On the other hand he's sitting on .7 fWAR and has an OBP below 310.  He without sin cast the first stone.

this is dumb.

if you think he's the only player on the team with this opinion you're naive

he's the team leader by all accounts, so he's the one who makes this kind of comment and you can be certain he's carrying the thoughts of his teammates with it

just because Moncada has the best numbers on the team, doesn't mean he should be the arbiter of what the guys in the clubhouse are thinking and thus should speak freely to the media about it

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Makes sense. Dombrowski knows a key addition when he sees one. And forget about Jose coming back in free agency. That will not happen. Good for the Red Sox. They get a heckuva addition in Jose. Professional in all ways. He'll be a postseason terror.

Get something that makes us better than we are with Jose and it's a done deal.  Very few players are not tradable for the right return.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

That’s only if you give creedance to the idea that sale and Eaton were only traded for speaking out which I personally do not. 

I do think that was final straw that made the rebuild actually finally take place.  Maybe not the only reason, but I think it certainly played a small role.

Yeah, the breakdown of the clubhouse in 15-16 and end of Ventura Era had to have played a role...and no players left from 2005 with Konerko retired.

Seems that Abreu quote hasn’t blown up at all or been interpreted as a shot at Hahn...more just missing Anderson’s leadership, Eloy’s bat and also acceptance/awareness that they would have to wait on Robert and Madrigal until 2020 in all likelihood.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

I do think that was final straw that made the rebuild actually finally take place.  Maybe not the only reason, but I think it certainly played a small role.

I think it was just the general dysfunction, no doubt that was a part of it

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Get something that makes us better than we are with Jose and it's a done deal.  Very few players are not tradable for the right return.

I'd rather him go to the Cubs to stick it to the Sox, but Boston will be fine. He'll win there and love it as Sale does.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I'd rather him go to the Cubs to stick it to the Sox, but Boston will be fine. He'll win there and love it as Sale does.

The Sale trade has worked out well for everyone.  That's what you want in trades for prime players.  No reason for anyone to stick it to anyone.  You need to realize that without an extension in the next two weeks...the Sox could end up empty handed.  That would be malpractice on the part of RH.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

The Sale trade has worked out well for everyone.  That's what you want in trades for prime players.  No reason for anyone to stick it to anyone.  You need to realize that without an extension in the next two weeks...the Sox could end up empty handed.  That would be malpractice on the part of RH.

Extension for Moncada?  Two weeks?  Or years?

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Extension for Moncada?  Two weeks?  Or years?

Talking to Greg about Abreu.  If we don't get an agreement on Abreu in two weeks we need to deal him.  Don't lose Abreu for zip is all I'm saying.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Talking to Greg about Abreu.  If we don't get an agreement on Abreu in two weeks we need to deal him.  Don't lose Abreu for zip is all I'm saying.

Abreu wants to stay here, even if we don’t sign him to an extension in the next two weeks. I don’t think it’ll take much to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Abreu wants to stay here, even if we don’t sign him to an extension in the next two weeks. I don’t think it’ll take much to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal in the offseason. 

You just don't take that chance.  Someone can offer him a contract he can't refuse.  If he wants to stay and that's what we want...find a compromise.  Don't leave it to chance.

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

An excellent GM.  We should have kept him when we had him and given the GM job to him instead of Williams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

How about doing what they do in the NBA:  sign him and then trade him.

3 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

An excellent GM.  We should have kept him when we had him and given the GM job to him instead of Williams.

He works best in a deep pockets organization.  Jerry would have a seizure the way he goes through money.

That’s got to be the best thing I have heard so far from Abreu. He wants to be here because he knows what’s coming. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of something like that. I’m really excited. I didn’t want to sign him because our prospects need to play but now I think it might be good to have him for a year or 2. These are going to be very exciting times for us coming up