Steve Stone with a dose of reality for Sox fans

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, but has Beane every actually built anything? How many rings? How many pennants? 

Numerous playoff teams.  Also a lot of future execs started under him.

Et tu, Rick Hahn?  

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

Stone has changed his act. He basically has become a house man for this White Sox rebuild. He's smart enough to know that if he  says something bad about this rebuild/management team he won't be announcing here anymore. And at his age he won't be hired elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Via his Twitter feed...

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone

When Tim Anderson went down the Sox lost they’re (their) identity. He brings a swagger and aggressiveness to the team that is greatly missed. His bravado is his calling card. He’ll lead this team. It’s who he is...

If this is true then I just found out the White Sox biggest problem ...

• Thanks 1

I kind of agree with Stone just from a health perspective.  I watch baseball as a pleasant diversion from a stressful job.  If I start overstressing about something I REALLY can't control, it goes from "enjoyable hobby" to "bane of my existence."  I am basically watching to see Moncada, TA, Gio, Lopez, Cease, Eloy, and Bummer.  And I can't wait for Robert.  Getting too depressed about whether we finish 10 games under .500 or 20 games under .500 just isn't good for me.  Even second-guessing Hahn is a hobby.  If I can't laugh at him sometimes or enjoy the fact that Adam Engel must have a cursed doll that gets other outfielders injured, I will go insane.

That said, getting swept by Kansas City is laughably bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sadly the last time they tried to "flip that switch" it resulted in Shark and a bunch of losing.  Let's fucking hope the MLB scouting has improved.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that Yonder and Jay were brought in as Manny concierges and not purely for on-field reasons.  Which, is absolutely mind blowing and beyond dumpster fire level of a fail but whatever we covered the insanity of the "Friends and Family" plan pretty well this off season that ground is well sowed.

I totally get that concern which is why I said this time next year I'll absolutely be on the panic train if things don't improve, I just don't think it's worthwhile it get all upset about a bad week in July 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I totally get that concern which is why I said this time next year I'll absolutely be on the panic train if things don't improve, I just don't think it's worthwhile it get all upset about a bad week in July 2019. 

I'm with you there.  I'm more  concerned about the story that indicated Rickie gave them additional "chill time" after the A's series (and how they responded like a wet noodle in KC) but as for the losing streak itself it doesn't bother me as the team's depth has been devastated by injuries and this is the quality of club they have right now in this stage of the rebuild.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm with you there.  I'm more  concerned about the story that indicated Rickie gave them additional "chill time" after the A's series (and how they responded like a wet noodle in KC) but as for the losing streak itself it doesn't bother me as the team's depth has been devastated by injuries and this is the quality of club they have right now in this stage of the rebuild.

And this was always the year people pointed and said y'know if things go right they could be pretty competitive, it was always the year ahead of schedule.

One look at the IL should tell you things obviously did not break right, but it's not the end of the world. Yet. 

That being said, while I think there’s truth to what stone is saying, he should probably Stfu

Edited by mqr

Win or lose I love going to a baseball game. High School to MLB. Winning makes it better no doubt. However, after forty plus years of Sox baseball I just don't expect anything. Apathy has caught up. I believe it was Lipman who mentioned the organization should be happy that fans still care. That is probably the best thought in the thread. 

Obviously being in Texas I don't get a complete picture of the fan base but from a distance Sox fans have been way more patient than the front office deserves. At least we're stopping at this train wreck and checking the pulses. 

• Like 1

Stone is apparently "doubling down" as he just released another Tweet 43 minutes ago, saying how his world is "wonderful" talking about perspective.

Again he's not wrong from his perspective but I don't think it is wise to keep poking the bear. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Stone has changed his act. He basically has become a house man for this White Sox rebuild. He's smart enough to know that if he  says something bad about this rebuild/management team he won't be announcing here anymore. And at his age he won't be hired elsewhere.

Yeah, um, none of this is true by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mqr said:

My only thing is why are people so irritated they didn't add guys that would make this like an 80 win team? The core isn't quite ready to produce but it will be soon, why does it matter who holds their place in the meantime. 

It's clear to me that they are looking to flip a switch as opposed to ramping up. Whether they can flip that switch or not remains to be seen. I'll start sweating this time next year. 

They had an opportunity to get elite talent at a solid price to add to Moncada, Anderson, McCann, Abreu and Eloy  who have all produced this year.  Imagine that 1-6 with Machado,  That offense had the opportunity to be elite over the next handful of years. 

Then, A couple of pitching signings to add to our rotation for 2020 and we are looking at a team that would have made serious noise.  2019 was the year to get one of the big hitters, 2020 is a year to get a big pitcher.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

54 minutes ago, mqr said:

What concerns me are injuries. They tend not to stop as you get older. I know Kopech and Rodon and Dunning will have no issues with their TJS even though White Sox minor league OF Adofo did. Anderson will never get hurt again. Eloy getting injured all the time will just stop. Robert's injuries will just stop, on and on and on. Hopefully, they all become healthy and stay there, but odds are it isn't going to happen that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I've never really understood the entitlement of sports fans. The economy of sports isn't built on a barter system, it's built on entertainment. Either buy it or don't. It's like buying a ticket for a movie and asking for a refund if the movie sucks. 

Because most people are not fair weather fans that can simply switch to cheering for which ever team is entertaining,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

Because most people are not fair weather fans that can simply switch to cheering for which ever team is entertaining,

Yea it's in my blood.  I don't GAF about any other club other than the Sox.  If you're raised from age 5 or whatever on Sox baseball you can't just quit it.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with Stone that Timmy Anderson is the leader of this team but to go down the toilet like they have since the Allstar Break is very disappointing.

I am not expecting a big beautiful house from the team this year, but I would at least like a nice little SheShed like State Farm is gonna give that lady in the commercial.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, but has Beane every actually built anything? How many rings? How many pennants? 

A team that can threaten for the playoffs quite frequently consider they have the Astros in their division, the second-worst stadium in baseball and quite limited financial resources.

As recently as 2014, one of the best teams in baseball...and then again last year, and competing in 2019.

If we went by your “standard,” then the Friedman/Maddon Rays and this decade’s Indians are also not successes?

Beane has had to completely rebuild that team like 3 or 4, maybe 5 times now...

Lets just put it this way.  If both of them were fired tomorrow, how many owners would choose Hahn over Beane?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea it's in my blood.  I don't GAF about any other club other than the Sox.  If you're raised from age 5 or whatever on Sox baseball you can't just quit it.

Now showing after tonight’s game on the big board as an added bonus for ever-patient fans, Brokeback Mountain....

“Truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it. You sit down before I knock your ignorant ass into next week! I wish I knew how to quit youBrokeback got us good, didn't it? You know it could be like this, just like this always...”

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A team that can threaten for the playoffs quite frequently consider they have the Astros in their division, the second-worst stadium in baseball and quite limited financial resources.

As recently as 2014, one of the best teams in baseball...and then again last year, and competing in 2019.

If we went by your “standard,” then the Friedman/Maddon Rays and this decade’s Indians are also not successes?

Beane has had to completely rebuild that team like 3 or 4, maybe 5 times now...

Lets just put it this way.  If both of them were fired tomorrow, how many owners would choose Hahn over Beane?

I'll answer your last question. Zero. Beane is a far superior Exec. 

Stone ofcourse followed up this tweet with the "Stay with us or don't" as if he's completely deaf to the bullshit in politics this week. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

Stone acts like we have numerous playoff appearances last 15 years and this rebuild is just a bump in the road. They could of lost all 7 with TA, the excuses are beyond old.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

5 yrs to build? Really? I'm getting a little sick & tired of looking at the foundation Stone Pony. When are the 1st floor joists gonna get laid??

And if they are still struggling in year 5, it's only year 5 of a 7 year rebuild. This rebuild shouldn't be as long as others. They had 3 assets they were able to sell for top prospects. Theo didn't have that. It should move the rebuild ETA up at least a season or two.

• Like 1