Steve Stone with a dose of reality for Sox fans

caulfield12

Look. Here's what it is atleast with me. My patience is pretty low because this is the same group of guys that haven't been able to build a winning club the entire time they've been here. Kenny sure but that was a while ago. If those guys had been fired and a new group had been brought in with a good track record there would be much much more patience on my end. But right now especially after the Manny debacle they can kick rocks. I'm going to be critical of them until I start seeing results. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Stone is apparently "doubling down" as he just released another Tweet 43 minutes ago, saying how his world is "wonderful" talking about perspective.

Again he's not wrong from his perspective but I don't think it is wise to keep poking the bear. 

I think it is because over the next 2 years as the prospects arrive and the team is competitive, he can refer to it and go, see I'm the smartest man in the room, which he likes to be.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And if they are still struggling in year 5, it's only year 5 of a 7 year rebuild. This rebuild shouldn't be as long as others. They had 3 assets they were able to sell for top prospects. Theo didn't have that. It should move the rebuild ETA up at least a season or two.

But they did have the advantage of the Rizzo/Hoyer “gift” trade and Baez already in the system...

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And if they are still struggling in year 5, it's only year 5 of a 7 year rebuild. This rebuild shouldn't be as long as others. They had 3 assets they were able to sell for top prospects. Theo didn't have that. It should move the rebuild ETA up at least a season or two.

If they dont have a winning record in year 5 everyone should go. There should be enough of the acquired talent alone to win if they traded and drafted adequately. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But they did have the advantage of the Rizzo/Hoyer “gift” trade and Baez already in the system...

And the gift of Jake Arrieta discovering microdosing.

I didn't say that and I'll deny it.

Edited by ptatc

49 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Because most people are not fair weather fans that can simply switch to cheering for which ever team is entertaining,

I disagree but it may be how you define fan. There are a lot of people who may or may not attend a game based on the buzz surrounding a team. They are not emotionally invested in the team.  Sometime they will go to a Sox game, sometimes a Cub game, or may not go at all that year. They make up a significant portion of ticket sales. "Let's go to a baseball game" is their thought process. 

Later they are called bandwagon jumpers. I believe they are deciding how to spend their entertainment dollars. A movie, weekend in the Dells, nice dinner out, a baseball game, whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If they dont have a winning record in year 5 everyone should go. There should be enough of the acquired talent alone to win if they traded and drafted adequately. 

Well they "should" have been fired before the rebuild. But that didn't happen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I disagree but it may be how you define fan. There are a lot of people who may or may not attend a game based on the buzz surrounding a team. They are not emotionally invested in the team.  Sometime they will go to a Sox game, sometimes a Cub game, or may not go at all that year. They make up a significant portion of ticket sales. "Let's go to a baseball game" is their thought process. 

Later they are called bandwagon jumpers. I believe they are deciding how to spend their entertainment dollars. A movie, weekend in the Dells, nice dinner out, a baseball game, whatever. 

Especially the younger fans. 

53 minutes ago, Baron said:

Look. Here's what it is atleast with me. My patience is pretty low because this is the same group of guys that haven't been able to build a winning club the entire time they've been here. Kenny sure but that was a while ago. If those guys had been fired and a new group had been brought in with a good track record there would be much much more patience on my end. But right now especially after the Manny debacle they can kick rocks. I'm going to be critical of them until I start seeing results. 

I agree with this. 

48 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think it is because over the next 2 years as the prospects arrive and the team is competitive, he can refer to it and go, see I'm the smartest man in the room, which he likes to be.

There may be some truth to this, I've been told by some folks who have encountered him that he has a little bit of an arrogant streak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There may be some truth to this, I've been told by some folks who have encountered him that he has a little bit of an arrogant streak.

He’s always been seen as one of those guys who was wealthy enough to be part of an ownership group (if he was actually interested)...so no surprise he would think of building the type of mansion or estate that would require a five full years to complete.

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I believe Jeff Passan said on radio out there that in his opinion the majority of players are now micro dosing T.  If BALCO was making stuff 15-20 year ago that was pretty much undectable lord only knows what they have got now.  Something that allows an athlete to maintain mass in season and feel "fresh" while out of their system in 48 hours?  That would pretty much be undetectable without constantly, weekly testing and even a random test would be unlikely to catch it.  

I'd guess that most of these guys are dosing the night prior to an off day and then do a gym day with plenty lighter weights and higher reps to maintain mass without the soreness and fatigue that comes with training, especially in season.

4 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

I do agree with Stone on this. We were never meant to win this year. it was fun being around 500 for the first half. But next year we should have at least a decent lineup and an improved pitching staff. if we add a couple big pieces this off season next year we should be winning and competing for the playoffs.

Agreed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Jake  offered to break Todd Frazier's skull recently. The guy has always given me major creepy vibes and I cannot stand him. 

5 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, not one person, from the White Sox organization should ever say anything even remotely negative about the impatience the Sox fan base is having with this rebuild.  Not after only one playoff appearance and just one measly playoff win in the 14 years since the World Series in '05.  They should be grateful they even still have a fan base.   

I agree with this in total. And the Stone rant is typical of this organization. The team stinks and the organization lashes out at the fans. He is the last person to lecture me on anything. Don't tell me I have to like it when the team loses another game 10-1 or drops four in a row to one of the worst teams in baseball.

What do the White Sox lead the league in? Blaming fans when things go wrong. The Adams. Yonder. Shark. What a bunch of great players. Where did they come from?

I've met locusts with better personalities than Steve Stone. 

The words can't describe how disgusting this condescending crap is. 

Big changes should have been made 10 years ago. They weren't. That is why you're in this stupid rebuild. You had no plan and now you stink.

Hey, Steve: You don't like the fans here? Get a gig in another major league city. I won't miss this crap.

Did Reinsdorf tell him to do this? Sounds like it. It's a miracle anyone goes out to the ball park. I know I don't have plans of going there. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Stopped reading after a house takes 5 years to build. 

Decorating. Furniture. Understanding the flow. Learning to entertain small and large gatherings. Landscaping growing in. I think five years is about right in my experience. 

28 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Decorating. Furniture. Understanding the flow. Learning to entertain small and large gatherings. Landscaping growing in. I think five years is about right in my experience. 

Lol.org

His statement after implies he is talking about building it. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

While this is only year 3 of the "Official rebuild", this is year 7 of being below .500 and year 11 missing the playoffs. 

The Astros were under .500 for 6 consecutive years and had a 9 year playoff drought during their rebuild.

The Cubs were only below .500 for 5 years, and their playoff drought was only 6.

• Like 2
  • Love 1