Steve Stone with a dose of reality for Sox fans

caulfield12

Stone continues to "troll" (for wont of a better word) Sox fans. An hour ago he posted all the bad teams who won games last night against good teams and said it happens all the time. Baseball 101. I asked him how many of those bad teams had as bad a pitcher as Dylan Covey working for them? LOL.

Honestly I don't know what's gotten into this guy lately, losing respect for him myself... if he can't understand why Sox fans are pissed off and have a short fuse after all the shitty baseball they've seen since 2007 maybe he's not as smart as I thought he was. It's not that hard to comprehend is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Stone continues to "troll" (for wont of a better word) Sox fans. An hour ago he posted all the bad teams who won games last night against good teams and said it happens all the time. Baseball 101. I asked him how many of those bad teams had as bad a pitcher as Dylan Covey working for them? LOL.

Honestly I don't know what's gotten into this guy lately, losing respect for him myself... if he can't understand why Sox fans are pissed off and have a short fuse after all the shitty baseball they've seen since 2007 maybe he's not as smart as I thought he was. It's not that hard to comprehend is it?

Maybe he has become a houseman for JR. At his age, if he loses his job he won't get another job as a announcer. MLB teams would go with a younger person and he knows it. The White Sox are his last stop  before he  eventually retires.

9 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Maybe he has become a houseman for JR. At his age, if he loses his job he won't get another job as a announcer. MLB teams would go with a younger person and he knows it. The White Sox are his last stop  before he  eventually retires.

Sure sounds like it.  I already noted Stone’s comments earlier this week during a game on giving a big long term deal to a top free agent starting pitcher.  It was like he was preaching Reinsdorf’s vision to Sox fans and preparing them to be disappointed next offseason.

37 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Trust me Stone could retire tomorrow and not have to worry about money for the rest of his life. The guy owns restaurants and has for decades. Money is the LEAST of his worries. He does this because he enjoys it, it's not like he needs to work.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Trust me Stone could retire tomorrow and not have to worry about money for the rest of his life. The guy owns restaurants and has for decades. Money is the LEAST of his worries. He does this because he enjoys it, it's not like he needs to work.

Stone Poney has been feeling his oats for awhile now.   He gets to compare baseball knowledge with Jason every night that's not helping to tamp down his ego.  I hope in a few years Jason pulls out a "Stone Poney" on him and drops the mic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think it is a little difficult to comprehend. This is the first year in a long time that there is actual hope on the horizon, Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, giolito as well as the group in the minors, robert, madrigal. Yet many of the sox fans seem to be getting worse in their criticism and comments. The rhetoric out the now should be decreasing and incrasing. 

I for one am baffled as well. For once there is hope but certain fans seem to want to stomp harder.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

I for one am baffled as well. For once there is hope but certain fans seems to want to stomp harder.

Yeah, I cant see how anyone can see this season as anything other than a resounding success for the rebuild. I don't know how people get hung up on the performance of guys who will be gone in a few months like Ivan Nova

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Yeah, I cant see how anyone can see this season as anything other than a resounding success for the rebuild. I don't know how people get hung up on the performance of guys who will be gone in a few months like Ivan Nova

I'm surprised we haven't seen an open letter to Rick Hahn a la Al Yellon. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Reinsdorf houseman? Troll? Maybe he's sick of the b****ing from fans not realizing that they're 2.5 years into a rebuild.

The rebuild doesn't mask the fact the fans have been watching nothing but losing baseball for 6.5 years in a row now, and have only seen one playoff win and four playoff games in total in the 13.5 years since the World Series. 

The "b****ing" is a culmination of all of this long term losing and non-competitiveness, not just impatience with a rebuild that in and of itself guarantees nothing in the future, what with the current owner and FO still in place.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The rebuild doesn't mask the fact the fans have been watching nothing but losing baseball for 6.5 years in a row now, and have only seen one playoff win and four playoff games in total in the 13.5 years since the World Series. 

The "b****ing" is a culmination of all of this long term losing and non-competitiveness, not just impatience with a rebuild that in and of itself guarantees nothing in the future, what with the current owner and FO still in place.  

But why now when there is finally some good players and at least the possibility of good seasons to come. People should be getting more positive not more pessimistic. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But why now when there is finally some good players and at least the possibility of good seasons to come. People should be getting more positive not more pessimistic. 

Perhaps because the majority of fans now no longer trust ownership and the front office to get it done after the Machado fiasco? They actually see improvement and realize with JR, Kenny and Hahn pulling the strings there is a decent chance they screw it up and it gets flushed right down the toilet. That worries them. I suspect like with myself,they supported the rebuild, it was needed, it was the only possible way out but the ownership was asking the same people who jazzed it all up to fix it. 

Now throw in last off season and reality is beginning to hit home and it worries them. Just a possible reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Exactly. It is NOT just this year or the past three years, it is the awful free agent signings, the bad trades, the poor draft picks, the injury situation and remember even when the Sox were "trying to win" they found ways to screw it all up.

This franchise has been one of the worst in baseball since 2007 that's going on 13 years now when this season ends...man that's a long time to be a joke isn't it? (Save for the three winning seasons which weren't even in consecutive seasons...)

And personally I think after all that,Sox ownership / front office should thank God there are still fans around who still care about the daily happenings instead of just saying, "the hell with you, a pox on your house..."

At least Sox fans don't appear to be apathetic (yet...)

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Apparently he's sticking to it takes 5 years to build a nice house. You'd think Stone would get some better takes. How bout this one. Surely Hawk's retirement was sped up because he had no interest in watching bad baseball night after night season after season. What about that, Stoney? I guarantee you Hawk knows rotten teams and managers when he sees em (Robin, Renteria). This pathetic baseball I'm sure made Hawk say, "I can't take this anymore." He probably was falling asleep on the drive home just thinking about this boring baseball. Stoney, I love you, don't shill for Jerry.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not when one horrific series effectively ended the season (not that we were in it anyway, but 0-4 to KC?)

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I disagree. Eloy has missed a full month with injuries. Kopech is out with a serious surgery. Timmy also got hurt and has missed significant time. Abreu is being run out of town. I'll give you Moncada and Eloy when healthy and Gio and Colome. And we're also running Colome out of town. I disagree it's been a successful season although the team is learning better how to win at home.

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

You can't group the two. They were trying to win 6.5 years ago. They finally went the route of rebuild- to the happiness of most of us- yet now we're upset they're improving, just not improving "enough."

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Perhaps because the majority of fans now no longer trust ownership and the front office to get it done after the Machado fiasco? They actually see improvement and realize with JR, Kenny and Hahn pulling the strings there is a decent chance they screw it up and it gets flushed right down the toilet. That worries them. I suspect like with myself,they supported the rebuild, it was needed, it was the only possible way out but the ownership was asking the same people who jazzed it all up to fix it. 

Now throw in last off season and reality is beginning to hit home and it worries them. Just a possible reason.

This. Nice post. 

Nobody in their right mind trusts Jerry, Kenny and Rick to pull off signing the players they need in order to win. JR seems content running the Sox as a small market outfit. If you're going to do that, take the damn money you were going to spend in FA and pour it into player development, scouting and analytics. And for god sakes don't ever let a player with value walk for free unless you think they have a damn good shot at the WS. Start doing A's and Rays things. If they were at the very least showing progress on that front, I could live with being cheap at the MLB level. But when you're cheap in every aspect of your organization, at that point it gets beyond frustrating and enters the infuriating stage. Don't channel the ghost of Bill Wirtz. 

If you're going to be cheap at the MLB level, you must be churning out 4+ T100 prospects annually, with times where you have 7+. Where are the Sox T100 guys going to come from when Kopech, Robert and Madrigal graduate in 2020? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You can't group the two. They were trying to win 6.5 years ago. They finally went the route of rebuild- to the happiness of most of us- yet now we're upset they're improving, just not improving "enough."

And what were the results from this organization when they were "trying to win?" Not very good was it. Same people calling the shots just different approaches. As I said I can understand why fans are concerned/upset. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This. Nice post. 

Nobody in their right mind trusts Jerry, Kenny and Rick to pull off signing the players they need in order to win. JR seems content running the Sox as a small market outfit. If you're going to do that, take the damn money you were going to spend in FA and pour it into player development, scouting and analytics. And for god sakes don't ever let a player with value walk for free unless you think they have a damn good shot at the WS. Start doing A's and Rays things. If they were at the very least showing progress on that front, I could live with the being cheap at the MLB level. But when you're cheap in every aspect of your organization, at that point it gets beyond frustrating and enters the infuriating stage. 

It's not just the cheapness. The entire offseason was dripping with disrespect to the fanbase. They could have spent the whole offseason commenting like Renteria and saying they were happy to just have a seat at the table, instead you had Rick Hahn cutting people off at Soxfest and saying "we're going to be adding a middle of the order bat". The org was screaming and leaking top to bottom "We are going to get this done" so that fans would go buy tickets. They did all that while knowing they weren;t serious, even after Boras had told them they weren't being serious. And then, just like Stone here, when anyone dared call them on it, you had KW yelling at the fans about "how do you expect us to do this and keep our next core together". Well a**hole i don't know, you're the franchise who said you were going to add a middle of the order bat, you tell me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's not just the cheapness. The entire offseason was dripping with disrespect to the fanbase. They could have spent the whole offseason commenting like Renteria and saying they were happy to just have a seat at the table, instead you had Rick Hahn cutting people off at Soxfest and saying "we're going to be adding a middle of the order bat". The org was screaming and leaking top to bottom "We are going to get this done" so that fans would go buy tickets. They did all that while knowing they weren;t serious, even after Boras had told them they weren't being serious. And then, just like Stone here, when anyone dared call them on it, you had KW yelling at the fans about "how do you expect us to do this and keep our next core together". Well asshole i don't know, you're the franchise who said you were going to add a middle of the order bat, you tell me.

The lack of transparency is infuriating too. At least they're dropping hints now and being a little more transparent. 

Something tells me if they left a lot of Sox fans would be more relieved than sad. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I don’t think the fans are upset about the flashes of improvement they’ve seen.  Look at how things perk up around here when those flashes turn into nice wins for the team.  Just not enough of that yet and still too much losing.  

Bottom line, fans are less interested in rebuilds and future potential and far more craving the euphoria that goes with following a winning ball club, which sadly our fan base hasn’t experienced in too long a time.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You are discussing the past failures and not looking at the current progress. Not trusting the FO has nothing to do with the current progress of the young players at the MLB level and the minors. These players are here, it looks like many will be good.

• Haha 1