Steve Stone with a dose of reality for Sox fans

caulfield12

Beginning to think Stoney may be bi-polar. After having some very reasonable Twitter comments lately he appears to be back to poking the bear today saying that "haters will always be haters. Nice job folks" among other things.

He was also called out by a fan for him and Jason making a lot of comedy-type remarks today while the Sox were getting embarrassed.

How about a dose of reality for Steve Stone ?

Hey thanks for the memories.  You have now been promoted to a Sox Ambassador, whatever that is, or maybe you can rejoin the Cub organization if that is how you wish to finish and be remembered.

Black Jack McDowell is replacing you as the color announcer for  the White Sox effective after the season ends.

Edited by tray
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

How about a dose of reality for Steve Stone ?

Hey thanks for the memories.  You have now been promoted to a Sox Ambassador, whatever that is, or maybe you can rejoin the Cub organization if that is how you wish to finish and be remembered.

Black Jack McDowell is replacing you as the color announcer for  the White Sox effective after the season ends.

McDowell wouldn't last more than 2-3 weeks.   He'd be way too quick to criticize the performances, especially from the pitching staff, as well as pitch calling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

McDowell wouldn't last more than 2-3 weeks.   He'd be way too quick to criticize the performances, especially from the pitching staff, as well as pitch calling.

Imagine if Jimmy Piersal was still around. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Beginning to think Stoney may be bi-polar. After having some very reasonable Twitter comments lately he appears to be back to poking the bear today saying that "haters will always be haters. Nice job folks" among other things.

He was also called out by a fan for him and Jason making a lot of comedy-type remarks today while the Sox were getting embarrassed.

Like what are they suppose to do?  Imagine being forced to watch shitty baseball.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Lot of people can't take the insanity of Twitter. I've heard Howard Stern say he was done with it quickly. It's a great idea but has added to the hatred of people for each other in our great country. Too easy to blast peeps.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Lot of people can't take the insanity of Twitter. I've heard Howard Stern say he was done with it quickly. It's a great idea but has added to the hatred of people for each other in our great country. Too easy to blast peeps.

I agree 100%

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed Stoney engaging with fans more. How is increase fan engagement a bad thing. He’s entitled to his opinion on things, we are all entitled to disagree.

people who have done that politely have had some replies, even though he does reply more to points of view he agrees with.... which again he is entitled to do if he wishes.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He already got into issues with the organization for his "candid" comments a few years ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Big fan of stoney.  Not sure how you could not like him.  

Same. A small group of Sox fans are trying to one up each other to see who can be the biggest cynic. People like Lip thrive in this environment. 

Twitter is basically a hive mind oasis for the Karen's of the world. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Same. A small group of Sox fans are trying to one up each other to see who can be the biggest cynic. People like Lip thrive in this environment. 

Twitter is basically a hive mind oasis for the Karen's of the world. 

I know Lip is a respected historian of the game (and good on him for that), but he lacks fundamental understanding of simple things in today's game.  His comments are not even worth reading.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Big fan of stoney.  Not sure how you could not like him.  

I think he's the best analyst in the game. I just don't understand what is gained by antagonizing a fan base that already is very angry and resentful. Doesn't make sense to me for the franchise or from a business standpoint.

Sorry my understanding isn't as well versed as yours, I see the game differently, I don't believe analytics are the be all / end all and I think the three outcome approach is ruining the game. I also don't believe in giving guys who clearly can't cut it chance after chance after chance to embarrass themselves and the team.

Feel free to ignore my posts if they aren't worth reading to you, I certainly won't mind and no I'm not trying to be snarky... when I see guys like Covey can't even make it out of the first inning not once but twice, when I see guys like Rondon and Sanchez butcher double plays that Aparicio and Fox, Guillen and Cora could do in their sleep, yea I'm going to get pissed and I'm going to vent.

I'm a die hard Sox fan who is embarrassed at what this franchise has become in the past dozen years. Shame on me, I guess.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think he's the best analyst in the game. I just don't understand what is gained by antagonizing a fan base that already is very angry and resentful. Doesn't make sense to me for the franchise or from a business standpoint.

Sorry my understanding isn't as well versed as yours, I see the game differently, I don't believe analytics are the be all / end all and I think the three outcome approach is ruining the game. I also don't believe in giving guys who clearly can't cut it chance after chance after chance to embarrass themselves and the team.

Feel free to ignore my posts if they aren't worth reading to you, I certainly won't mind and no I'm not trying to be snarky... when I see guys like Covey can't even make it out of the first inning not once but twice, when I see guys like Rondon and Sanchez butcher double plays that Aparicio and Fox, Guillen and Cora could do in their sleep, yea I'm going to get pissed and I'm going to vent.

I'm a die hard Sox fan who is embarrassed at what this franchise has become in the past dozen years. Shame on me, I guess.

Score won for the 49 and over crowd...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Score won for the 49 and over crowd...

Caulfield and others:

Just wanted to clarify something and to make a suggestion. This is a legit suggestion...not trying to be flippant or snarky.

First, my idea of analytics is that they are a part of the game and should be but as stated they can't be the be all / end all. It is simply impossible to "predict" the literally millions of variables that happen in a game let alone a season. My biggest beef is the attitude of some (not all...some) that if one doesn't buy into it, like Moses receiving the Ten Commandments either said person is stupid, lazy or out of touch.

Also some of these stats are so irrelevant, so worthless that they aren't worth the time spent even trying to decipher them. Here's an extreme made up example:

Does anybody really care or does it make any difference to know what Mike Trout hits at home on Wednesday's in the 7th inning or later against left handed pitchers with a last name consisting of six letters or less? 

Seriously...who cares about some of these things because they make zero difference in the long run.

Analytics have a part in the game, scouts have a part in the game, the eye-test has a part in the game. Things that can't be fed into a computer have a part in the game. How hard does a kid work, how smart is the kid, does he take to instructions,is he a good teammate, does he take care of himself off the field.

Nellie Fox and Pete Rose would probably fail most if not all of today's benchmarks but the bottom line is they were terrific players and are both in the Hall of Fame. There has to be a balance.

----------

Now for the proposition, again this is a legit one. Since there is a segment who feel I'm detrimental to the site here's what I need to know. Let the Mods make the decision if you want.

If you think I'm not contributing, tell me and I'm gone.

Not kidding.

I won't take it personally and everyone will be happier.

I ask the courtesy though of someone letting me know in the next day or so. I was planning on starting something here at the site on Thursday, August 1st. I don't want to start it then bail on it in a week or two weeks.

Basically now or never please.

But I will say one thing either way, if some think that by asking me to leave is going to stop the realistic anger and frustration that is being expressed on a daily basis, I don't think those folks are being realistic. Except for venting after another terrible performance which every fan has a right to do, I do not believe I have been outrageous or not courteous.

But in the end it's YOUR call folks. Hell make it a poll if you want closing on Wednesday morning August 1st. I'll abide by the results if someone doesn't want to do it on their own.

Edited by Lip Man 1