Midseason Top 30 at Baseball America

Y2Jimmy0

7 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sure, PB are not a great stat to base a catchers defensive skill on, but look at his career. He is terrible compared to other catchers minor league stats. If you don't want to believe me, fine, but google him and see for yourself what the consensus is on him. 

From an Eric Logenhagen FG chat on 6/28/19:

I am definitely not saying he is by any means a great or even ok catcher defensively but if the guy can hit then you have to find him a spot.

Problem with that quote is that now he is beating up AAA pitching.

Your list should come with an * saying 26 and older not included.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:49 PM, mqr said:

As soon as he broke his hand, you pretty much knew he would have a tough time producing for a while and then he started getting leg injuries. I'm not writing him off.

Neither am I, I'm just saying that it isn't surprising that a guy that hasn't delivered on results is dropping in rankings.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, turnin' two said:

He just hasn't hit enough.  Obviously the tools are there, but he just hasn't hit enough.  Simple as that.  The tools only carry you so far.  He is advanced and old enough where the results matter. 

Also not enough power for the high strikeouts he had. He had some power potential and hit 12 in 2016 and 15 in 2018. With his kind of plate discipline that would have needed to go up but instead this year power is totally gone. Probably injury related and could come back but it also needs to come back and more to play with a mid to high 20s k rate.

6 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Also not enough power for the high strikeouts he had. He had some power potential and hit 12 in 2016 and 15 in 2018. With his kind of plate discipline that would have needed to go up but instead this year power is totally gone. Probably injury related and could come back but it also needs to come back and more to play with a mid to high 20s k rate.

Stiever is a guy that really seems to have opened some eyes, especially his performance since being promoted to Winston Salem. I think he might have sneaky #4/5 starter potential moving forward. He should start 2020 in AA, if not sooner. 

8 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Stiever is a guy that really seems to have opened some eyes, especially his performance since being promoted to Winston Salem. I think he might have sneaky #4/5 starter potential moving forward. He should start 2020 in AA, if not sooner. 

It seems like he's hitting 98 now too? I always thought he was a 93-94 guy, but I keep seeing twitter updates that his velo has increased and he's even able to maintain it late. He's a nice surprise this year for sure. Almost helps make up a little for the injuries to Dunning and Lambert.