Engel Recalled

ChiSox59

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a soft spot for Engel.  Glad he's back and hope he can stick around.

I agree with you.  A gold glove center fielder with speed has value.  Steverson coaching him to hit .250 would show me something about our hitting coach.

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I agree with you.  A gold glove center fielder with speed has value.  Steverson coaching him to hit .250 would show me something about are hitting coach.

He is a tremendous defensive outfielder.  If only MLB had the rule where you could steal first base, the man of steal would see his OBP skyrocket.

career wRC+ of 56.  You just shake your head at how paper thin the Sox system still is in many ways.  He's literally below replacement and we don't even have a better AAAA CF.

I'll say this the viewing season is pretty much over for me until TA and Eloy are back and perhaps Robert is brought up.  I have ZERO interest in watching Reed, Engel, Yolmer and Cordell go 1-20 on a good night.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

19 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

A better rule would be:  just like in football, an offense and a defense.  Under this rule, he would never bat.:)

How about multiple DHs for anyone who is only good defensively?  That might help the future White Sox with all the possible DH options. :cool:

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I agree with you.  A gold glove center fielder with speed has value.  Steverson coaching him to hit .250 would show me something about our hitting coach.

I feel like we heard this for about five years in regards to Brian Anderson....Torii Hunter Lite, etc.

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

A better rule would be:  just like in football, an offense and a defense.  Under this rule, he would never bat.:)

If baseball executives keep jerking around with the game we will probably see this soon.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

A month ago I would have argued with you; after last night's game, you are right.

Tilson had an OPS under .600 and doesn't play compelling D.   That's not close to 25 worthy on a bad team.

If Engel could get his OPS to .700, that's a real win and makes him a 4th OF.  If he can exceed .760, which would be a miracle (but he does have skills), that makes him a legit player.

Edited by GreenSox

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Tilson had an OPS under .600 and doesn't play compelling D.   That's not close to 25 worthy on a bad team.

If Engel could get his OPS to .700, that's a real win and makes him a 4th OF.  If he can exceed .760, which would be a miracle (but he does have skills), that makes him a legit player.

The problem, like Palka or Collins...is Engel doesn’t have the type of swing where he can be successful only playing once or twice a week.

Defensive replacement and PR, great.   But he’s just replicating Leury in many ways without the positional flexibility.  Of course, his one huge advantage is defense, where he can run circles around our current roster of OFers.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem, like Palka or Collins...is Engel doesn’t have the type of swing where he can be successful only playing once or twice a week.

Defensive replacement and PR, great.   But he’s just replicating Leury in many ways without the positional flexibility.  Of course, his one huge advantage is defense, where he can run circles around our current roster of OFers.

He's started over 250 games in CF and fangraphs has him like +3 runs over that time above average.  As I've noted the trope of "Adam Engel elite defense" should be put to bed.  He's a slightly above average defensive CF that can't hit his weight most months.  

He's a 26th man.  He sucks.  On a club with ANY ORG DEPTH AT ALL he'd have been cast aside long, long ago.  It speaks to how incredible fucking dismal our situation was circa 2015 that he was a top 30 guy in the org.

• Like 1