Engel Recalled

ChiSox59

I agree with Steve Stone's prior statement that he could be a starting center fielder if he hit .250 plus because of his superb defense.  One game is not a lot, but his swing looks better.  In his past 30 games in the minors, he was hitting .400.  In June, his OPS was .804, and in July, his OPS was .923.  The White Sox always thought Adam might be a late bloomer.   He's only 27 years of age.  If he plays well the rest of the year, he might build up some usefulness for the Sox or have a bit of off-season trade value. In any case, I've always enjoyed his defense and enthusiasm.

In his evaluation phase comeback, he now is hitting even better than his June and July minor league numbers (.545) or 6 for 11.  I would not be surprised if he makes it as a defensive oriented center fielder who can hit over .250.  If he hits at that level and with his defense, someone will want him to play center field for them.

Edited by Thomas_Ventura_Roberts
Adding Updated Stats

46 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Tilson had an OPS under .600 and doesn't play compelling D.   That's not close to 25 worthy on a bad team.

If Engel could get his OPS to .700, that's a real win and makes him a 4th OF.  If he can exceed .760, which would be a miracle (but he does have skills), that makes him a legit player.

A good place for Steveron to show why he's the hitting coach.

• Like 1

Just now, poppysox said:

You would be an easy owner to please as hitting coach.

The hitting coach at the MLB level is basically a positive affirmation coach, nothing more, nothing less.   Todd is there to help guys with their approach not their swing, he doesn't have time for that and neither do the players in season.

The real improvement comes in the offseason.  I'm continuing to read "The MVP Machine" and the work it takes to change your swing at the pinnacle of your profession requires a lot more than a hitting coach.  It requires countless hours in the cage and video room with an instructor or coach dedicated only to yourself and a couple other guys.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nice weekend for Adam.  Hope he keeps it up. 

I have always liked players like Adam.  If they can just learn to carry about a .270 BA they can be an offensive force.  The action they create with speed has unraveled many a good pitcher.  Anyone who doesn't feel better when Engel is running down a flyball instead of our other options isn't paying attention.  Hope he keeps it up...would be a very useful 4th outfielder on our championship teams.