Herrera to DL: Jimmy Cordero Recalled

ChiSox59

Does anyone know how Cordero's stuff was in AAA with the White Sox?  The reason that I ask is that, in the past and as a prospect, he had a fantastic arm and threw electric stuff, but his command and control were bad.  Even this year with another organization, his walks were high.  For the White Sox AAA team, in contrast, he not only had great all around stats, but he only had 2 BB in 13 games and 17.2 innings.  Is his stuff still electric?   Could this be another Tommy Kahnle story where a relief pitcher with A grade stuff but D level control all of a sudden is transformed?  Jimmy is only 27 years of age, so it would be interesting if he is indeed becoming another Tommy Kahnle type transformation story.

2 hours ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

Does anyone know how Cordero's stuff was in AAA with the White Sox?  The reason that I ask is that, in the past and as a prospect, he had a fantastic arm and threw electric stuff, but his command and control were bad.  Even this year with another organization, his walks were high.  For the White Sox AAA team, in contrast, he not only had great all around stats, but he only had 2 BB in 13 games and 17.2 innings.  Is his stuff still electric?   Could this be another Tommy Kahnle story where a relief pitcher with A grade stuff but D level control all of a sudden is transformed?  Jimmy is only 27 years of age, so it would be interesting if he is indeed becoming another Tommy Kahnle type transformation story.

Very doubtful but the guy he is replacing in the bullpen is terrible and so are the Sox so there is no better time to take a look.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Guess he never recovered from that "back" injury. 😁 Guy didn't look good most of last season, injured...yet that seems to be exactly the type of player this organization loves to get. AKA dumpster diving

This one wasn’t dumpster diving which makes it worse.  Hahn gave Herrera $18 million guaranteed over 2 years.

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This one wasn’t dumpster diving which makes it worse.  Hahn gave Herrera $18 million guaranteed over 2 years.

My point was he was trending downward and was hurt...the perfect "Coop will fix em' Sox target.

• 1 month later...

Is Jimmy now part of the White Sox future ? 

I personally think it is still a little early to say but his fastball and change up both look fantastic. If he can maintain control surely he’s a set up man option going forward.

Anyone know how long we can control him for ?

56 minutes ago, Colinski said:

Is Jimmy now part of the White Sox future ? 

I personally think it is still a little early to say but his fastball and change up both look fantastic. If he can maintain control surely he’s a set up man option going forward.

Anyone know how long we can control him for ?

I believe he’s under control for five more seasons.  He also has an option left, which is incredibly valuable.

Personally, when it comes to the bullpen next year, I think we have four guys that are pretty much guaranteed spots in Colome, Herrera, Bummer, & Fry.  Given Herrera’s struggles this year, I think they add one high-end RH setup man in the offseason.  After that, I think you just let Cordero, Marshall (who has an option), Hamilton, Fulmer (who will be out of options), Frare, Ruiz and whoever else compete for the last spot or two.  With the way he’s pitched so far, Cordero may in fact be the favorite unless there is someone who shows will in spring training that needs to be protected.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 6:12 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I believe he’s under control for five more seasons.  He also has an option left, which is incredibly valuable.

Personally, when it comes to the bullpen next year, I think we have four guys that are pretty much guaranteed spots in Colome, Herrera, Bummer, & Fry.  Given Herrera’s struggles this year, I think they add one high-end RH setup man in the offseason.  After that, I think you just let Cordero, Marshall (who has an option), Hamilton, Fulmer (who will be out of options), Frare, Ruiz and whoever else compete for the last spot or two.  With the way he’s pitched so far, Cordero may in fact be the favorite unless there is someone who shows will in spring training that needs to be protected.

Nitpicky,  but he doesn't really have an option left.  This was his last option year, and he isn't getting optioned again this season.  He'll need to clear waivers next year if he doesn't break camp with the Sox.

Along with him in that category will be Marshall, Fulmer, and Vieria.  Technically Osich too, but no chance he isn't outrighted after the season.