7/21- Sox at Rays, 12:10, NBCSC

flavum

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're taking life way too seriously dude. I used to be like that, it just makes for a miserable existence. Life is about failure, learning from it, improving, and laughing about how dumb and naive you were. If you can't laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at?  

So laugh at Dylan Cease then, a huge part of this organization's future. Look stupid.

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Sorry you don't get to evaluate a group as though they were a single personality. 

This makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well sure, but then that’s diametrically opposed to the root of fanatic, which is fan.  If that's the case, if you can just coolly and dispassionately watch a game like Benetti, well then there’s almost no point in having a favorite team unless they’re competitive.

But finding things to LOL about in another lost season is part of the entertainment as well.

Dispassionately and coolly? What in the world? I watch the game and feel pissed when the Sox lose and those are the words you use to describe me, but had I laughed at Cease for having a bad start, that makes me more of a fan and more passionate? Speaking of not making sense

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Not laughing at Cease, but at the incompetence  of this organization. If you can't see that this organization has been laughable over the past decade plus, you shouldn't be calling anyone a dope or a moron.

That's my problem is people on here thinking they're the board police.  If they don't like what other people post they resort to name calling.  It's an open board other people can have opinions to.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We've reached a strange time in sports fandom. There are people who want their team to fail so that they can be right. They find enjoyment out of their struggle to reaffirm their opinion. It's odd. 

The game has been taken over by computers. Soon they won't need fans or a reason to play the games. 

Cease was having command issues in AAA and wasn’t exactly on fire when he was called up. His struggles shouldn’t be a surprise. Hopefully he straightens himself out soon, or at least before the Sox should be good, which apparently is years from now since they are only 2 1/2 years into a 5 year rebuild.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Not laughing at Cease, but at the incompetence  of this organization. If you can't see that this organization has been laughable over the past decade plus, you shouldn't be calling anyone a dope or a moron.

I hate when people say stuff like this. What does the organization- Reinsdorf, KW and Hahn- in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 have to do with Cease's start today? He's having a rough start. It has nothing to do with anything of the past. They promoted him so he can get the kinks out before it truly matters. It's truly that simple.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

The point is that you like baseball and enjoy following a team. Letting their failures affect you emotionally is kind of weird to me. 

Well, this is really an observation about age, maturity and perspective...like having a family.

Unless it’s your team in the World Series like the Red Sox in 2004, White Sox in 2005 or Cubs in 2003/2016, you’re almost always going to have a big/ger picture way of looking at sports unless you’re gambling on it.

When you’re in your teens and twenties, everything seems like life and death.   Then we grow out of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

So laugh at Dylan Cease then, a huge part of this organization's future. Look stupid.

This makes no sense.

Dispassionately and coolly? What in the world? I watch the game and feel pissed when the Sox lose and those are the words you use to describe me, but had I laughed at Cease for having a bad start, that makes me more of a fan and more passionate? Speaking of not making sense

Not laughing at him directly. Have you ever heard of "fun bad?" When a team or player is so bad at something that it is funny? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I choose to find entertainment in a comedy of errors when my team is bad. 

Sure, it's funny how bad Yolmer is or how pathetic Rondon is. Absolutely, but laughing at the important players? Again, that's foolish

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Welcome to the big leagues Cease. Too bad you were rushed.  If you can’t throw your fastball near the plate, you’re going to get killed.

The problem is that AAA hitters swing at many of those and inflate his numbers. He is learning how to pitch to MLB hitters. It can only be done at this level. He always has been a pitcher who will walk a higher number of hitters. He needs to learn to trust the stuff, not overthrow it and not try to strike everyone out.

He needs to trust the stuff in the zone and throw more groundballs.  They're more democratic than the fascist strikeouts anyway.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I hate when people say stuff like this. What does the organization- Reinsdorf, KW and Hahn- in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 have to do with Cease's start today? He's having a rough start. It has nothing to do with anything of the past. They promoted him so he can get the kinks out before it truly matters. It's truly that simple.

The kid was clearly having issues in AAA and the sox may have brought him up before he was ready.  Maybe he will work out his issues up at the major league level.   Hopefully they don't ruin the kid.  

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The point is that you like baseball and enjoy following a team. Letting their failures affect you emotionally is kind of weird to me. 

No doubt. Can anyone enjoy a game just for the game? Most fans seem to be a fan of winning and not a fan of the game or the team. Granted it's more enjoyable when they win. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If you were a Sox fan from 1968-1982 or 1983-1989 or 2012 through today...then you would be almost suicidal without having a sense of humor about it all.

I’m going to guess you weren’t around for 70’s and 80’s White Sox baseball.

• Thanks 1

We literally have an example of a guy working through stuff in the majors over 2018 and he has been one starters in the AL in 2019. Guys coming up and not experiencing struggles is rare. You can't teach the stuff Cease has. As @ptatc said, sometimes you have to pitch at this level to learn how to pitch at this level.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The problem is that AAA hitters swing at many of those and inflate his numbers. He is learning how to pitch to MLB hitters. It can only be done at this level. He always has been a pitcher who will walk a higher number of hitters. He needs to learn to trust the stuff, not overthrow it and not try to strike everyone out.

He needs to trust the stuff in the zone and throw more groundballs.  They're more democratic than the fascist strikeouts anyway.

Something I believe Cooper and the Sox organization does poorly is work too much on pitchers becoming well-rounded and not focusing on perfecting their best pitches

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you were a Sox fan from 1968-1982 or 1983-1989 or 2012 through today...then you would be almost suicidal without having a sense of humor about it all.

I’m going to guess you weren’t around for 70’s and 80’s White Sox baseball.

What? I think you have this backwards. I am pissed about the failures. Subsequently I am pissed about other fans not being pissed and instead laughing. Follow?

Just now, soxfan49 said:

What? I think you have this backwards. I am pissed about the failures. Subsequently I am pissed about other fans not being pissed and instead laughing. Follow?

We’re pissed AND laughing simultaneously...that’s the only way to get through a decade-long rebuild.

And everything in the world indicates ownership and the front office really don’t care that much about fan opinion, anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

Another topic.  Serious question because I'm too lazy to look it up.  How did the sox rank with runners in scoring position with 2 outs?

It doesn't directly answer your question but the Sox are 18th in the league in runners left in scoring position per game

Just now, caulfield12 said:

We’re pissed AND laughing simultaneously...that’s the only way to get through a decade-long rebuild.

And everything in the world indicates ownership and the front office really don’t care that much about fan opinion, anyway.

A decade is 10 years. The Sox rebuild began less than 3 years ago.

• Thanks 1