7/21- Sox at Rays, 12:10, NBCSC

flavum

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

Like stated many times on this board too many automatic outs in the sox lineup.

The DH contributions are laughable. I’m sure some NL teams have a higher average from their pitching staff than the Sox designated hitters do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tomtom said:

I live in upstate New York and get to watch a lot of Yankee games.  It seems whenever the Yankees bring up a player, he puts up all-star numbers right from the get-go?

It helps when you are surrounded by talent. 

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

At least I get to watch Tatis Jr. eat the Cubs alive.

Mochalo! (literally translated to “cut/chop ‘em down”)

Literally as I wrote this, Tyler Saladino smashed a grand slam against AZ to tie it at 4-4.  Go Brewers!

Also, Indians threatening to pull to with two games of Minnesota.

Edited by caulfield12

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Mochalo! (literally translated to “cut/chop ‘em down”)

Literally as I wrote this, Tyler Saladino smashed a grand slam against AZ to tie it at 4-4.  Go Brewers!

Also, Indians threatening to pull to with two games of Minnesota.

Holy Shit.......They had a 12 game lead at one point. That's quite the chokejob, especially against a Cleveland team missing Kluber and Clevinger for most of the year. Clevinger is back, but Kluber isn't. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Holy Shit.......They had a 12 game lead at one point. That's quite the chokejob, especially against a Cleveland team missing Kluber and Clevinger for most of the year. Clevinger is back, but Kluber isn't. 

Looked it up at baseball reference, our largest lead in 2005 was 15 games up on August 1st, 2005.

And, if you look at that line-up, other than Santana and Lindor, there aren't many major threats.  Kipnis was the clean-up hitter yesterday.  Jose Ramirez has had a terrible season, and they've had to play mix and match with their outfielders and bullpen all season long.

(Mercado for some reason was dumped by the Cardinals, and has become an important player for them.)

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Looked it up at baseball reference, our largest lead in 2005 was 15 games up on August 1st, 2005.

The Indians played .800 ball from 7/1/2005 through the Crede Walkoff game. That is insane. The Sox played .520 ball and nearly got caught. 

I don't think they've done that this time around. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Cease is going to have a learning curve just like all young pitchers.

Regarding the comment about the Yankees, it helps when you have a good front office and a top notch pro scouting department over and about unlimited money.

I recently saw where someone posted the combined DH numbers on Twitter for the Sox over the  last several seasons and it was a complete embarrassment, something like a .230 BA with a low OBP and SLG percentage.

How hard is it to find some guys who all they have to do is hit? 

3 hours ago, Tomtom said:

This is precisely the problem.  Sox lead the league in striking out.  When you don’t make productive outs, the offense suffers.

White sox 25th in Home runs in mlb

Strikeout the 4th or 5th most...

If that doesn't change they will never be a serious competitor.  

I HATE the way most of our hitters approach hitting, it is random and unsustainable.

Edited by harkness99

11 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

White sox 25th in Home runs in mlb

Strikeout the 4th or 5th most...

If that doesn't change they will never be a serious competitor.  

I HATE the way most of our hitters approach hitting, it is random and unsustainable.

They strike out a ton and don't walk because half of the line up the past several years shouldn't even be in the big leagues.

Longest home stand of the year coming up, 10 games. Six against mediocre / bad teams and four against a team that has seen it's 12 game divisional lead practically disappear. Maybe the Sox can make a little hay...maybe.

After the horrid 7 game losing streak to start the 2nd half when the pitching was horrific, the staff did an exceptional job over the weekend.  Allowed 7 runs in 3 games.  After Tampa scored in each of the first 2 innings on Friday, they scored in only 2 other innings of the next 26 in the series.  That's some pitching.  If not for the one bad pitch by Cease for the grand slam, we might have swept them.  Let's hope the good pitching continues for a while.  We can use a good home stand.

P.S.  Before the series, I predicted we would get swept.  So glad to be wrong.