Gerrit Cole - The Rebuild’s Fulcrum

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is Yankees 1, 2, and 3.

35 mil a year and one pitch and it could be TJ surgery for a pitcher. These teams have to make what much be tough decisions. I don't feel sorry as the owners caused this long ago, but I can't imagine Jerry changing his philosophy and paying a pitcher that much.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Right now, I’d put it like this...

1) Angels....from Southern Cal, pitched with Bauer at UCLA, LA would have three marketable stars in Trout, Ohtani, Cole

2) Astros...obvious reasons

3) Phillies...need another frontline starter to compete with Braves, willingness to spend (could alternatively go after Stroman, Syndegaard, Bauer, Minor, etc.)

4) Yankees...need more RHP balance, Severino’s recovery a question mark

5&6) Rangers and White Sox...Texas, because they’ll have money to spend, he’s shown that he enjoys environment in Texas and is quite comfortable there, but no pitcher wanted to deal with July/August weather although the new stadium should change that calculus

White Sox or Rangers would have to offer $210-240 million over 6 years to get it done...which Reinsdorf is highly unlikely to approve for the numerous reasons discussed dating back to Jaime Navarro.

I did see an interesting comment from a reporter who spoke with him a few days ago. Cole said he loved pitching in Southern California because the weather was always great but then he added but you pay for that weather with California's taxes.

Just something to think about.

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They have to sign Cole. The payroll is so low. No more of these Santana, Nova, Shields, Detwiler, Banuelos types. Sign Cole and a back-end starter.

If only it were that simple. Even if they offer 200 million the Yankees and Red Sox will he right there. The Cubs may be as well if they ditch Hammels and can find a sucker to take Heyward since he's playing better. 

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yanks are dropping CC and possibly Chapman’s contracts. They saved themselves this offseason on Corbin, they aren’t going to be outbid on a legit piece like Cole.

Hal Steinbrenner operates much differently than his father.  While by default they should probably be the favorite, they are far from a sure thing.  Their financial situation isn’t as rosy as it might seem if they continue to operate like they have in recent years.

Im frankly stunned that this thread has been made by this particular poster, after this past offseason's FAILURE.

I'm not picking on anyone when I post this, but let's put this fantasy to bed once and for all. As I see it, there are [AT LEAST] 3 reasons why this will never happen:

1. As many have posted here,  they will be MANY suitors for Cole. Most will offer more money, & are better positioned to win NOW. For a player like Cole, this is important.

2. JR/KW/RH will always find a way to screw this up. They are incompetent and mentally weak. They are also more interested in the Reinsdorf family's future inheiritance.

3. Cole is a Scott Boras client. In a competitive situation, Boras uses the SOX as leverage.

In my view,  thinking about Cole coming here is a waste of time, in all honesty. It's a whole pile of mental masturbation.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Im frankly stunned that this thread has been made by this particular poster, after this past offseason's FAILURE.

I'm not picking on anyone when I post this, but let's put this fantasy to bed once and for all. As I see it there are 3 reasons why this will never happen:

1. As many have posted here,  they will be MANY suitors for Cole. Most will offer more money, & are better positioned to win NOW. For a player like Cole, this is important.

2. JR/KW/RH will always find a way to screw this up. They are incompetent and mentally weak. They are also more interested in the Reinsdorf families' future inheiritance.

3. Scott Boras client. In a competitive situation, Boras uses the SOX as leverage.

In my view,  thinking about Cole coming here is a waste of time, in all honesty. It's frankly mental masturbation.

All good points.  Many of the signs would point to the Sox not signing Cole so it’s strange to see people who are actually optimistic about the possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

If only it were that simple. Even if they offer 200 million the Yankees and Red Sox will he right there. The Cubs may be as well if they ditch Hammels and can find a sucker to take Heyward since he's playing better. 

The Yankees are likely to add a SP at the deadline.  Even with some money coming off the books they are still going to be pretty close to the luxury tax and their ownership does not like that.

Red Sox are already over the luxury tax iirc this year so I see that less likely as well unless they shed a bunch of money.

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not sure I want to sign Cole for his price tag. I wonder how much of his success is due to the Astros pitching lab and how much is him. He was pretty mediocre his last couple seasons with the Pirates. 

That and the Sox luck with former NL players.

I don't see JR approving a long-term contract for a pitcher. 2020 looks like another non-contending year as Cease and Kopech will develop. But eventually the team will need to invest in someone to shore up that rotation. Logic states that the Sox have the money to spend in the upcoming off season. This doesn't mean they will.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion...but I think the Sox should trade Jimenez and prospect for a controllable #1 or #2 from another team. With Robert coming up and it much easier to buy a FA right or left fielder....I think that is their best chance to get elite talent. I know losing Jimenez would be a blow...but he simply can't survive in the outfield long term and Vaughn is the 1st baseman for the next 10 seasons. Signing Cole is the right idea...but it just won't happen and Hahn needs to have another creative idea.

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

This is going to be an unpopular opinion...but I think the Sox should trade Jimenez and prospect for a controllable #1 or #2 from another team. With Robert coming up and it much easier to buy a FA right or left fielder....I think that is their best chance to get elite talent. I know losing Jimenez would be a blow...but he simply can't survive in the outfield long term and Vaughn is the 1st baseman for the next 10 seasons. Signing Cole is the right idea...but it just won't happen and Hahn needs to have another creative idea.

That would be fine had he not been locked into that long-term contract already...plus, most NL teams are going to prefer a better defender on the corners unless they’re convinced he would be content at 1B/DH.

At any rate, it’s not clear what #1 starter we could get other than those guys like Stroman, Gray, Syndegaard/deGrom, Bauer, etc., under limited control.

The whole point of young players is to take advantage of that cost savings...this would only shorten the competitive window unless you were confident you could turn around Foltynewitz, Freeland, etc.